• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Schleck is the real winner!!!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
SpartacusRox said:
Actually a lot of European brand bikes are made at the Giant factory, including Colnago. Not the very top models but a lot of the mid range stuff. If you visit the Giant factory there are containers stacked in the yard with various brand names on them.

TBH this should not be news to anyone.

With colnago, the top models may have bits made in Italia but the tubes, and other frame materials will still come from the east. Often Euro bikes are just painted in Europe.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
MERIDA has 49% stocks of Specialized. Specialized and Giant both have factories in Taiwan and China mainland. The Giant sponsoring Rabobank is the Giant Europe. Just like the HTC sponsoring HTC-Columbia and the Garmin sponsoring Garmin are HTC USA and Garmin USA.

the companies in Taiwan are not too concerned on Europe cycling races.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Andy Schleck is going to give AC a hard time for many years. Contador deserves yellow for 2010 but Andy is learning fast. Next year will be utterly fantastic.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
If you want a real carbon bike made in Europe, your choices are Time, Cyfac, Look (though I think their factory is in Tunisia), and maybe one or two others.

Time is pretty much top dog when it comes to carbon fiber frames, I'd say.

Agree, partially.

Time is or was the only company that made their own fiber cloth. Others buy, or their manufacturers buy, their carbon from one of a few carbon manufacturers Toray, Mitsubishi Rayon ect.

However, Carbon manufacture is a process which quality is usually improved as production volume increases. For this reason the quality of Eastern frames is often far superior to Euro carbon frames.

53 x 11 said:
Agree, partially.

Time is or was the only company that made their own fiber cloth. Others buy, or their manufacturers buy, their carbon from one of a few carbon manufacturers Toray, Mitsubishi Rayon ect.

However, Carbon manufacture is a process which quality is usually improved as production volume increases. For this reason the quality of Eastern frames is often far superior to Euro carbon frames.

Yep, Time still does weave their own carbon.

Agree on that last part too. Frankly, I'd have more faith in a frame made by Martec than a frame made by some small firm in Europe.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
ironhead said:
Andy Schleck is going to give AC a hard time for many years. Contador deserves yellow for 2010 but Andy is learning fast. Next year will be utterly fantastic.

Yeah, good call.

I prefer not to dwell on things like Stage 2 and 3 and chaingate, it's swings and roundabouts and like Sastre said, it's supposed to be racing.

Both riders had a great tour and I really think Contador raced as conservatively as I've ever seen him race. He did what he needed to win, and no more.

Next year may be a different result and we the fans will be the benefactors.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Isn`t anyone starting to feel a bit sorry for AC? No one seems to be really happy for that guy! I mean.. He won the race despite being sick and sorta "out of form"! He`s for sure not Mr. charming, and what he did on stage 15 (no more discussion needed!) was not super fair - but if AS had been so much stronger and better and is the real winner for whatever reason, why didn`t he manage to gain back enough time on AC and REALLY win the tour? :confused:

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Very hollow victory - getting stuck behind "trouble" on the cobblestones is poor tactics - attacking a mechanical in alps is just plain poor sportsmanship.

AC has totally lost my respect - very unimpressive - go Andy !!!

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm stoked to see Menchov ride strongly all race and finish with a great time trial.
I'm looking forward to seeing Contador and Schleck slug it out in future grand tours.
I'm disappointed in Evans, Rogers and McEwen and feeling bit sorry for them too because of the impact falls might have had on their performance but I'm pleased they stuck with it.
I am annoyed because Renshaw was put out of the race for a bit of argy bargy in the sprint while two riders who slugged it out in the finishing shute were given a slap on the wrist.
But feeling sorry for Contador? Got to be joking. He's consolidating his place as a real champion and he won a race he deserved to win because he was the best.

ScottMasil said:
Very hollow victory - getting stuck behind "trouble" on the cobblestones is poor tactics - attacking a mechanical in alps is just plain poor sportsmanship.

This is exactly right, I am also unable to give Hushovd any respect for he sprinted on Stage 1 when Cavendish had fallen and on the cobble stage when many others has crashes and mechanicals. He is the most un-sporting rider in the peloton and should be banned immediately from the pro tour.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
M Sport said:
The only ones I feel sorry for are us Senior Members that have to read the drivel of you posters that sign up during July.

... posters signing up during July, just like you, congratulations! :p *offtopic*

May 6, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
TBH this should not be news to anyone.

With colnago, the top models may have bits made in Italia but the tubes, and other frame materials will still come from the east. Often Euro bikes are just painted in Europe.

I had a two pairs of Bontrager Wheels and the spokes and the rum were made in China (or Taiwan) and then shipped to America and then assembled and then have the 'Made in USA' stamp on them.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
M Sport said:
The only ones I feel sorry for are us Senior Members that have to read the drivel of you posters that sign up during July.

Careful there - Senior Members can post drivel too. Have you had a look at this active thread? :p

(Clearly Schleck is the real winner of the White jersey and Contador is the real winner of the Yellow jersey. This is fact; everything else is conjecture.)

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Jeanne said:
Isn`t anyone starting to feel a bit sorry for AC? No one seems to be really happy for that guy! I mean.. He won the race despite being sick and sorta "out of form"! He`s for sure not Mr. charming, and what he did on stage 15 (no more discussion needed!) was not super fair - but if AS had been so much stronger and better and is the real winner for whatever reason, why didn`t he manage to gain back enough time on AC and REALLY win the tour? :confused:

oh yeah. I feel sorry for contador

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
ScottMasil said:

The look of shame on his face when he accepted that trophy was priceless. He knows damn well if it wasn't for that chain accident, he'd be in the dust. Next Year Andy will win and AC will go home riding a Diamondback....:D

TRENDING THREADS