• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sebastian Langeveld

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
As the Sky managers eariler season reported that they wasnt to sign 2/3 quality climbers and one very strong GC contender in season 2012. Martin would classfiy as a quality climber.

Gloin22 said:
As the Sky managers eariler season reported that they wasnt to sign 2/3 quality climbers and one very strong GC contender in season 2012. Martin would classfiy as a quality climber.

His nasal operation doesn't seem to have helped out much with the allergy issues though. Didn't I read somewhere that he couldn't ride the Giro as a result?

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Reverend_T_Preedy said:
Do you mean Andy Fenn? Luke Rowe is riding for ther GB team (or 100%ME in domestic races). Andy Fenn signed for An Post last year. Interestingly, he's also been riding for team GB this year where he won a stage at the Tour de Bretagne.

If Sky want to take on young British talent then they need to give them races in which they can target, such as smaller single day or stage races in France, Holland, Belgium, Italy etc.

While we're on the subject of Sky, I expect them to sign an Irish rider this summer too. Makes sense for the sponsors. I wonder whether they might try for Dan Martin or Philip Deignan?

Apparently (and I have zero inside knowledge) Fenn signed a pre-contract last year, but with at least some input from the Sky guys he signed for An Post. Partly because it's a good team for a young guy whose future is on cobbles, and he wouldn't have got much cobble action at Sky this year.

Deignan was free for a fair bit of time before this season, and evidently didn't hear from Sky. Is Dan Martin out of contract? I wonder how his relationship with the BC guys is nowadays.

A

Anonymous

Langeveld is interesting, im sure though he wont be the last rider to be linked with Sky this summer.

Rowe and the young columbian whos name escape me look pretty much dead certs.

Im expecting sky to lose anything up to 8-10 riders at the end of this season. From what we know a lot of the riders were on two year contracts. Cant see any of the Brits going anywhere, and I think the Italians will stay to keep the sponsor happy, but the likes of Henderson, Sutton, Gerrans, Hayman could head down to greenedge. Not sure about Flecha, he may no longer would fit in Brailsfords potential v cost etc formula. Arvesen is almost certain to stop riding at the end of the year and move to DS'ing, and then theres the likes of Carlstrom etc.

I think next years Sky squad could be pretty different to this years.

Langeveld would make sense though, as long as his BP looks ok.

A

Anonymous

Reverend_T_Preedy said:
Do you mean Andy Fenn? Luke Rowe is riding for ther GB team (or 100%ME in domestic races). Andy Fenn signed for An Post last year. Interestingly, he's also been riding for team GB this year where he won a stage at the Tour de Bretagne.

Luke and Sam Harrison also rode in the GB squad with Thomas, Kennaugh and Swift that road in Sardinia

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Brailsford said in an interview that Sky almost signed Luke Rowe for this season, but decided he needed another year in the juniors. So, as someone's already said, definite as definite can be. Another Cardiff lad in the peloton. :)

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Reverend_T_Preedy said:

If Sky want to take on young British talent then they need to give them races in which they can target, such as smaller single day or stage races in France, Holland, Belgium, Italy etc.

While we're on the subject of Sky, I expect them to sign an Irish rider this summer too. Makes sense for the sponsors. I wonder whether they might try for Dan Martin or Philip Deignan?

I did mean Luke Rowe but of course he's not riding for An Post, he's still on the academy (100% me as you said).

The Irish thing kind of makes sense but what is Sky's (the company) market in Ireland? I don't know. Although with Dan Martin they could have their "British Tour winner" as he's from B'ham :)

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Luke and Sam Harrison also rode in the GB squad with Thomas, Kennaugh and Swift that road in Sardinia

Harrison is a bit special, I suspect in 5-6 years we'll all know his name.

Richeypen said:
Hayman is one of the best Cobbles domestiques in the world. Langeveld isnt going to replace Flecha as leader unless he leaves the team. Thomas will be a protected rider next year. If Hayman goes he will be an ideal replacement, otherwise it will be a case of Garmin this year. Packing a team full of the best riders can have negative effects if there is no overal plan there.
You do realise Langeveld performed better than Flecha in the past cobbles season by finishing 5th in RVV and winning Omloop?

Not saying Langeveld is better than Flecha, but he is surely better than the other Sky cobble riders

A

Anonymous

Dekker_Tifosi said:
You do realise Langeveld performed better than Flecha in the past cobbles season by finishing 5th in RVV and winning Omloop?

Not saying Langeveld is better than Flecha, but he is surely better than the other Sky cobble riders

Langeveld was better this year than Flecha was. I think Langeveld next year will be better than Flecha was this year also.

At seven years younger it would be a natural swap.

Question is what happens to Flecha, still got what it takes to be pro tour? pro conti? Director Sportif?

TeamSkyFans said:
Langeveld was better this year than Flecha was. I think Langeveld next year will be better than Flecha was this year also.

Question is what happens to Flecha, still got what it takes to be pro tour? pro conti? Director Sportif?

Is that supposed to be a joke?

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Flecha is always there and can play an importart role in every team for the cobbled classics.
On the other side he doesn't bring victories (mainly cause not fast enough?) so the add of Langeveld is very interesting.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

Really? Flecha, even though not as strong as the year before is still a quality rider and will be there or there abouts in the classics next year. He still as a massive role to play at Sky, with or without Langeveld.

If Sky can get Flecha, Langeveld, Thomas and EBH with the leaders in the latter half of RVV or PR then that's the ideal position and the only way they'll beat Cancellara or Boonen.

A

Anonymous

TeamSkyFans said:

JRanton said:
Is that supposed to be a joke?

When I say that, next year he will be 33. If Sky dont renew are the pro tour teams that will see him as a serious option.

I like FLecha, but hes not getting any younger, and even this year there were questions over wether he was Sky's strongest rider for the classics. Are there pro tour teams out there that are going to offer more than a one year contract to a rider who on the surface looks like his best chances of winning major classics may be past him?

We seem to be enjoying a period of some real top young riders coming through. I think its going to be harder and harder for the 33 year old+ riders to get top team spots.

Just my opinion. Not dissing flecha, but being realistic.

My comment was based on him leaving Sky. Obviously I hope he stays.

TeamSkyFans said:
When I say that, next year he will be 33. If Sky dont renew are the pro tour teams that will see him as a serious option.

I like FLecha, but hes not getting any younger, and even this year there were questions over wether he was Sky's strongest rider for the classics. Are there pro tour teams out there that are going to offer more than a one year contract to a rider who on the surface looks like his best chances of winning major classics may be past him?

We seem to be enjoying a period of some real top young riders coming through. I think its going to be harder and harder for the 33 year old+ riders to get top team spots.

Just my opinion. Not dissing flecha, but being realistic.

My comment was based on him leaving Sky. Obviously I hope he stays.
Most riders nowadays last at least until 36. This year JAF was simply in shape a little too early. He was reported as being in incredible form already at sky's training camp in january, where he destroyed everyone in the hill intervals, which usually isn't a very good sign. At Omloop he was obviously very strong but his form faded a bit after that.

I think Sky will need Langeveld if people leave to GE/ retire. But he might not go though they are good team to go to. Would rabo have gone well in the classics this yr with Breschel? Also GT might not be racing such a busy olympic schedule now that the pursuit is taken out.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

I would fully expect them to offer him a new contract. He's got results for them, he's a wise experienced head and he seems well liked in the team (and also a Spanish speaker for Uran to talk to).

If he left I would imagine he wouldn't be short of offers. He's a class act.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
If Flecha goes from Sky I can see about 5 pro tour/world tour teams jumping on him.

Old head, still has a couple of good years, still needs to learn how to race smarter - but as a second leader on the road and a older statesman to add the development of younger riders great signing.

In next years spring if Flecha goes every team will chase he still has it, but burns too much energy too early in races in my opinion.