• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sep Vanmarcke appreciation thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vaughters-vanmarcke-said-he-could-win

it turns out that he shouldn't have been a leader and had to fight for this chance:

“The night before the race Sep’s manager called me up and said the team wanted to only work for Heinrich [Haussler] and that Sep was a bit upset. I asked if Sep could win the race and if he could, then he needed to stand up in front of everybody and say he could win. If he does that and has the balls to do it then the team will be behind him for sure,” Vaughters told Cyclingnews.

“It’s the first classic and nobody knows for sure where their form is and it’s all a little unpredictable but if he has the confidence then we have to believe in him. I think it was a strong and confident thing for a rider to do. He did it and made good on his promise.”

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Garmin seem to have a great system for identifying / bringing on talented young riders. It makes me wonder why JV worked so hard to bring back a rider like Thomas Dekker?

Bordercollie1 said:
Garmin seem to have a great system for identifying / bringing on talented young riders. It makes me wonder why JV worked so hard to bring back a rider like Thomas Dekker?
Easy... there's no doubt Thomas Dekker has a certain amount of talent, he was really cheap (he's on the team for the UCI minimum wage), and he's the pet of the Dutch cycling press. In Holland there seems to be some sponsor interest in cycling, unlike in quite a few other countries, so Dekker could be a goldmine.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Eric8-A said:
I'm sure he'll be a protected riding going into Roubaix. Possibly seen as a contender by the big boys as well.

Who is going to be Garmin's protected rider? JVS is the defending champ, Haussler is great in the classics, sep is a tank, etc etc.

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
gustienordic said:
Who is going to be Garmin's protected rider? JVS is the defending champ, Haussler is great in the classics, sep is a tank, etc etc.

By what i've ready, Summie feels like he won't be as good as most people think. He'll be a marked rider because he won, but who knows if he'll be able to perform as good as people expect him to. Haussler, aren't his main targets MSR and Flanders?

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
For Roubaix you've got to have more than one captain, too many things can go wrong. For Garmin going in with four cards (Haussler, Maaskant, Vansummeren and Vanmarcke) is a good position to be in. At Roubaix you have to let the road decide who's the leader, putting all your eggs in one basket there is a very risky strategy.

theyoungest said:
I don't think Haussler has found that 2010 form yet, in fact in a recent Cyclingnews interview it seemed like he didn't think he'd ever get it again.
I assume you mean 2009. Anyway, do you have the link for that? Almost sounds like an admission that he was doing something fishy in 2009, which he can't do at Garmin...

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
what a Flandrien hard man, I was just reminded that he was the guy that flew over the railing in the Vuelta, climbed out and finished the stage and tour all beat up, respect.
and he seems like a really nice kid also, he was really moved by that win on Sat.
belga-Sep-Vanmarke-dura-caida.jpg

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
He was an absolute boss today. So close, really painful for him. But he is only what 24? 25? What a great ride.

Yep, he's only 24, he'll for sure be a big player in Roubaix in the future.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Vanmarcke rode the perfect race, no flat tires/crashes etc. and always near the front. He took 40 seconds with VDB, and closing that gap to him cost Canc a lot of energy. It should've given him the advantage in the sprint, but he decided taking turns wasn't tiring him. He should've won with all the grinta and clever tactics(before Cancellara arrived) he showed, only to **** up in the end. Blanco must be furious.