• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sep Vanmarcke appreciation thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 12, 2010
Visit site
It's always tricky to bank on future wins, a lot of young riders ride a good classic early on, don't win, you think: sure, he'll get his chances, but they never materialize.

Still, Vanmarcke has shown today that when he is good, he is really good. Maybe he could have done less work in the final, but I like gutsy riders like that, who ride with a positive attitude and aren't scared of the competition. I do hope that in the future he'll quit his 'one good race very spring' tactic :eek:

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
He did absolutely nothing wrong. He thought he could beat Cance in the sprint like he did last year with Tommeke in the Omloop. Too bad Cance was just a tat better, no shame in that

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Roderick said:
He did absolutely nothing wrong. He thought he could beat Cance in the sprint like he did last year with Tommeke in the Omloop. Too bad Cance was just a tat better, no shame in that

Then he made the exact same mistake Pippo made in the Ronde van Vlaanderen last year.

Overconfidence is surely a mistake?

It's no shame to be second in P-R at age 24, but it's a damn shame if you get second and could've won. And he could have won with better tactics.

Roderick said:

exactly- he did think it WRONG. Cancellara being the favorite needed to pull more than Sep, & let him drive it to the very end. I only blame his young age, but he should know better not to let be played by someone who has won the race twice...

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
But in last year's Omloop he did as muuch work in the breakaway as he did here. He was a bit afraid that the chasers would come back.
But I like this better than just wheelsucking for 30k and then win in the sprint.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
The only mistake was letting Cancellara pushing him to the front for the sprint. And that's experience.

Agree. He didn't do any more work than Fabian. He just blinked first in the velodrome. That's it.

Lanark said:
It's always tricky to bank on future wins, a lot of young riders ride a good classic early on, don't win, you think: sure, he'll get his chances, but they never materialize.

Still, Vanmarcke has shown today that when he is good, he is really good. Maybe he could have done less work in the final, but I like gutsy riders like that, who ride with a positive attitude and aren't scared of the competition. I do hope that in the future he'll quit his 'one good race very spring' tactic :eek:

If he stays injury free, he may change that tactic. Otherwise, we can at least see one great race a year. He should be causing untold pain to other favorites for years to come.

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Well apparently he really thought he could beat Cancellara which is not that much of a big mistake i think. I think few people here thought that Cancellara would not beat him in a sprint.

will10 said:
Agree. He didn't do any more work than Fabian. He just blinked first in the velodrome. That's it.

Lol are people saying he did anywhere near as much work as Fabian? That's even more ridiculous then the claims stijn Vandenberg would have won the raced and canc should thank the gods he crashed. Half the time Sep was at the front canc rode by his side not behind him and would then immediately push forward himself. The only sustained periods on the front from vanmarke were the cobbles where he rode at the front to make sure cancellara couldn't attack. Not that vanmarke didnt want to ride on the front, canc just kept taking over then driving it for far longer himself.

wheelsucking someone for 20k in a1 vs 1 race when your nearest teammate is 3 groups behind isn't smart tactics, it's being a jerk. It's like handballing the ball in football when you know the ref isn't looking.

the people who are actually lacking brain cells are the ones who think the job of every single rider in the race was not to win for themselves but to make sure cancellara lost at any cost.

Had Sep been more like certain posters on here - a total *******, and refused to pull purely to satisfy their fantasies of cancellara losing, he would have for a long time afterward been known as someone you can't trust. His victory- had cancellara not been able to drop him anyway or even thrown his toys out of his pram and got caught by those behind would have been remembered as a cheap one. He did what any man with any self respect would do. Not what these backstabbing snakes recommend.

They offered him the apple from the forbidden tree, a big plump Paris roubaix apple. And he refused. And decided he was going to triumph or fail, on his own.
Chapeau Sep.

Today you are a man, my son.

The Hitch said:
Lol are people saying he did anywhere near as much work as Fabian? That's even more ridiculous then the claims stijn Vandenberg would have won the raced and canc should thank the gods he crashed. Half the time Sep was at the front canc rode by his side not behind him and would then immediately push forward himself. The only sustained periods on the front from vanmarke were the cobbles where he rode at the front to make sure cancellara couldn't attack. Not that vanmarke didnt want to ride on the front, canc just kept taking over then driving it for far longer himself.

wheelsucking someone for 20k in a1 vs 1 race when your nearest teammate is 3 groups behind isn't smart tactics, it's being a jerk. It's like handballing the ball in football when you know the ref isn't looking.

the people who are actually lacking brain cells are the ones who think the job of every single rider in the race was not to win for themselves but to make sure cancellara lost at any cost.

Had Sep been more like certain posters on here - a total *******, and refused to pull purely to satisfy their fantasies of cancellara losing, he would have for a long time afterward been known as someone you can't trust. His victory- had cancellara not been able to drop him anyway or even thrown his toys out of his pram and got caught by those behind would have been remembered as a cheap one. He did what any man with any self respect would do. Not what these backstabbing snakes recommend.

They offered him the apple from the forbidden tree, a big plump Paris roubaix apple. And he refused. And decided he was going to triumph or fail, on his own.
Chapeau Sep.

Today you are a man, my son.
So it's better to lose than to win, especially if you lose to Canc? :rolleyes:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Lol Hitch, even you have to realize what Sep did was not very smart. Especially starting the sprint from the front, 90% of the times you have lost the sprint then. I can't think of many moments where someone won a small group sprint when he started from the front.

Cancellara was the big favorite, so Vanmarcke should've played some poker and stay in his wheel and only sometimes take over. Worked for Gerrans, Ciolek and Nuyens didn't it? Anyone blaming them for their Monument wins? It was probably their only chance in their career(although Gerrans is looking good for the Ardennes) and they took it.

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Netserk said:
So it's better to lose than to win, especially if you lose to Canc? :rolleyes:

No.Most people, including myself, like a certain rider that tries to win by riding like a man better than a guy that wheelsuck his way towards the finish line to beat the others undeservedly in a sprint. Yes, I'm talking to you Nick Nuyens

TRENDING THREADS