• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sep Vanmarcke appreciation thread

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
WgDPQ.jpg

Since last year's Gent-Wevelgem this guy has been one of my favourite cyclists around. This year, despite being injured at the start of the season, he confirmed all that was good and now he is my number 1 rider in the peloton. I believe he has an enormous potential and can suffer and recuperate like the best.

Hoping he'll go to another team next year and take it to the next level.

Yeah I like him too.

He should go somewhere else - too many people ahead of him at Garmin. He wasn't even on the startlist for De Ronde until Maaskant got injured.

Did well for them today, and still finished well. Especially for his first Roubaix and his 8th race day of the year I think.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
After getting on the podium last year at G-W, I'm surprised the two big Belgian WT teams didn't sign him. But credit to him, he rode his backside off last night.

I think riding for Garmin a season or two will help his career immensely. He's a domestique now, but he's learning the trade in a very strong classics team (yeah, not debating this here). He doesn't need to be hasty.

That said, I like him a lot.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
After great 2010 season Sep became my favourite Belgian rider and I was disappointed when he chose Garmin (why? there was Lotto and QuickStep, even HTC would have been much better choice), imo he should have stayed in Topsport-Vlaanderen for another year.
I was happy to see his Roubaix performance, he and Degenkolb were two young riders who impressed me yesterday.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I like him a lot too! But I don't have a problem with his team...take it slowly..no need to rush, and I think he is learning a great deal with the riders on the team. Really impressed with Degenkolb...he is a real talent as well.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
TRDean said:
I like him a lot too! But I don't have a problem with his team...take it slowly..no need to rush, and I think he is learning a great deal with the riders on the team. Really impressed with Degenkolb...he is a real talent as well.

I agree, but he should at least be a protected rider. Not a slave like yesterday...

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
boomcie said:
I agree, but he should at least be a protected rider. Not a slave like yesterday...

I dont know, it was good see what he could do, flex his muscles and go up the road instead of sitting anonymous in the pack/groups or whatever.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
sublimit said:
I dont know, it was good see what he could do, flex his muscles and go up the road instead of sitting anonymous in the pack/groups or whatever.

Yeah it was ok. But after yesterday: the slaving should end. That's why he needs to change teams; there's no room at Garmin.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Question to those who see lots of Sep: How well can the man climb? I remember seeing him attack in paris tours last yr I think it was on a small incline but that race isnt particularly hilly. Obviously he can ride flanders alright but wat bout Amstel or other one day races like that in the future? I looked at his palmares but many of the results not in big races were in ones ive never watched to im not so sure of the parcour.

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Lotto or Quickstep would be his best bet. If he moves to HTC, he'll be slaving himself for Cavendish and in the classics for someone like Berny or Roulston.

Like people have said, he's still young and he did get his chances by going in breaks. He's still learning the game.

Also, I still believe that some that came to Garmin from Cervelo will leave Garmin at the end of the year (Haussler) so maybe he can take his spot.

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
boomcie said:

He'll get his shot; no holding back a guy like that. So enjoyable watching him ride yesterday; you can see he just LOVES to work. Also like the fact he's been consistently solid since e3; bodes well for the boy.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Funnily enough as I logged onto the forum a minute ago I was certain of three things:
1. Het Volk thread would be full of praise for Sep.
2. There would be a Sep fans thread.
3. There will very shortly be a "Vanmarcke doping?" thread in the Clinic.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
will10 said:
Funnily enough as I logged onto the forum a minute ago I was certain of three things:
1. Het Volk thread would be full of praise for Sep.
2. There would be a Sep fans thread.
3. There will very shortly be a "Vanmarcke doping?" thread in the Clinic.

This thread is almost a year old...

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Slightly embarassed to admit that Sep had generally slipped off my radar prior today.

He has certainly won me over as a new fan today though. :)

TRENDING THREADS