• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sergio Henao

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

samhocking said:
I wonder if Prince Nassar is aware just how complicated covering up doping has become in a cycling team these days? You need to announce a rider is suspended internally to his agent, then the agent needs to accidentally announce he is suspended to a small newspaper the day before a big race then announce to the world the rider is suspended even though the UCI says there's not a problem. Then you need to invent a story and a report from a redbrick uni to tell you, you can return said rider back to compeition, only for the whole scenario to happen again 12 months directly from WADA, who tell the UCI, who tell the World, then the UCI leave it a few months to sound like they're thinking about it deeply and then announce to the World the rider is free to race.
UCI & Sky have a great team of script-writers. The story just flows really nicely, little sub-plots here and there and then it reached this climax of everythings the same as when the story started over 2 years ago. Brilliant!

Prince Nasser is a triathlete; indeed runs a pro team. I think he should understand.

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
So why is it that Henao's got weird readings on his biological passport due to his altitude training in Colombia, yet the likes of Quintana, Uran, Chaves and co have relatively normal readings?
I wonder the same thing.

Maybe that everyone's has different bodies and therefore different reactions. But the baselines for altitude natives could be different than for a Europeans.

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
But surely the baselines are what makes a mockery of the whole thing
The BIO Passport is supposed to have a baseline set of data which gives the panel a set of results that you are then compared against over your career.
Hence why it is so easy to fool - you juice up and get tested for the baseline
from then on in you will get tested and your results will be similar (as long as you are still on the juice) so no anomalies in the findings will trigger the passport.

the fact that his results differ so much is what triggers the reviews and so something has moved his markers from the baseline when he was first tested.
Now they can either say that as an athlete he is morphing into a different human and so his base line physiology is changing
or he wasn't juiced enough at the start of his baseline tests and then he started upping his program and triggered his passport markers.
That is why he is getting triggered and not his cousin or other riders from high altitudes.
Poor management of his values and testing regimes have left him out of sync.

Probably get dropped by SKY now for making them use up a favour to get this to go away

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
So why is it that Henao's got weird readings on his biological passport due to his altitude training in Colombia, yet the likes of Quintana, Uran, Chaves and co have relatively normal readings?
how would you know? is there any indication sergio has even done 50%+? and if so how far over that? Quintana has a hematocrite of 48% under normal circumstances, which is also very high but not abnormal in colombia. I don't know about any other colombians hematocrite in europe.

Re: Re:

Jacques (7 ch) said:
samhocking said:
I wonder if Prince Nassar is aware just how complicated covering up doping has become in a cycling team these days? You need to announce a rider is suspended internally to his agent, then the agent needs to accidentally announce he is suspended to a small newspaper the day before a big race then announce to the world the rider is suspended even though the UCI says there's not a problem. Then you need to invent a story and a report from a redbrick uni to tell you, you can return said rider back to compeition, only for the whole scenario to happen again 12 months directly from WADA, who tell the UCI, who tell the World, then the UCI leave it a few months to sound like they're thinking about it deeply and then announce to the World the rider is free to race.
UCI & Sky have a great team of script-writers. The story just flows really nicely, little sub-plots here and there and then it reached this climax of everythings the same as when the story started over 2 years ago. Brilliant!

Prince Nasser is a triathlete; indeed runs a pro team. I think he should understand.
I was referring to his upcoming Bahrain Cycling Team he announced with we assume Riis and Contador at the head of it.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Ryo Hazuki said:
PremierAndrew said:
how would you know? is there any indication sergio has even done 50%+? and if so how far over that? Quintana has a hematocrite of 48% under normal circumstances, which is also very high but not abnormal in colombia. I don't know about any other colombians hematocrite in europe.
It wouldn't surprise me if a few Colomabians had a hematocrite around 50%, I've got a high natural hematocrite myself (about 49/49.5% when I'm well hydrated) and compared to many of the Colombian pros I'm almost a flatlander (born and raised at almost 1200m of altitude).
Most of it comes down too genetics, so you'd think that a few pros who are high altitude natives could very well have +50% hematocrite.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Is there any evidence that certain groups of people have higher hematocrits than others?
I remember reading men have higher hematocrits than women, on average (45 for men, 40 for women), but I don't remember reading anywhere that people from highlands have higher hematocrits than people from lowlands.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Ryo Hazuki said:
PremierAndrew said:

You dont know? What, I thought you were the Encyclopedia of Colombian cycling!!!

Someone squeezing Brailsford's big sky breast for some milk = Henao BP anomalies :rolleyes:

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
Is there any evidence that certain groups of people have higher hematocrits than others?
I remember reading men have higher hematocrits than women, on average (45 for men, 40 for women), but I don't remember reading anywhere that people from highlands have higher hematocrits than people from lowlands.
Quote:"An analysis summarizing the
results of 53 samples of Tibetan and Andean high-altitude native
men at an average altitude of
3,900 m reported an estimated mean
hemoglobin concentration of 16.9 g/dl among Tibetan men as
compared with 18.1 g/dl among Andean men (19)."
and:
"Fig. 3 illustrates
the markedly lower hemoglobin concentrations in a sample of
Tibetan men and women as compared with their Andean coun-
terparts at 4,000 m. [The average hemoglobin concentrations
were 15.6 and 19.2 g/dl for Tibetan and Andean men, respectively,
and 14.2 and 17.8 g/dl for women (28)]"
Source:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK254294/
Edit: Sorry, I posted the wrong link, now it should be ok.

Re:

sniper said:
There has to be a lot stuff out there on that issue. I would think that adaptation of the species pushes hematocrit level on the high altitude natives.

When first introduced, the FIS set the hemoglobin limit to 18.5 g/dl for men, which was soon lowered to 17.5 g/dl. Now the biological passport is used.

Tibetans are interesting because they have an adaptation that does not involve just having more RBCs from living at extreme altitudes; above ~17 g/dl there are very real increased risks for clots and embolisms as well as diminishing returns to providing additional aerobic power.

TRENDING THREADS