• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Sergio Higuita discussion thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm not sure they will but I'm also not sure they'll not.

I do think it's far more likely one of them will be the leader than Van Garderen. As I said, all will depend on their results this spring. Whoever between Woods, Uran, Higuita and Martinez will seem the strongest will most likely lead during the TdF, maybe there will be 2 co-leaders.
Vaughters has said on quite a few occasions that the future of the team from a GC standpoint is Higuita and Martinez. That's why they are going to the Tour, with Tejay going to the Giro as it suits his ITT skills more.

I fully expect EF to go to the Tour with an open mind on who will be leader, they'll be taking all of their leading riders.

Funny how there are people mentioning Nairo, López and Sosa for the Olympic RR. This race doesn't finish uphill like Emilia or Milano-Torino. They don't stand any chance for a medal. Nairo and Lopez would never bother working for someone else.
Yes, Jaramillo is the most stupid DS the world has seen... but that doesn't make them viable options.
Colombia doesn't have rouleurs, so the only chance are long lasting climbers with some speed and tactical sense. Urán, Henao, Betancur, Chaves, Bernal and Higuita fit that bill.
Henao seems past his prime, Betancur is unreliable, and Chaves and Urán, both have health issues.
If I were to call the domestiques, Martinez and Anacona come first.

Reactions: Joelsim and Koronin
Funny how there are people mentioning Nairo, López and Sosa for the Olympic RR. This race doesn't finish uphill like Emilia or Milano-Torino. They don't stand any chance for a medal. Nairo and Lopez would never bother working for someone else.
Yes, Jaramillo is the most stupid DS the world has seen... but that doesn't make them viable options.
Colombia doesn't have rouleurs, so the only chance are long lasting climbers with some speed and tactical sense. Urán, Henao, Betancur, Chaves, Bernal and Higuita fit that bill.
Henao seems past his prime, Betancur is unreliable, and Chaves and Urán, both have health issues.
If I were to call the domestiques, Martinez and Anacona come first.
You absolutely select one of Martinez and Anacona - It's a no brainer.

I'm sure I'm wrong about this but being small might not hurt in x winds -- it depends on the aerodynamic profile you present. A big solid guy is still going to have to push the same relative w/kg. Also positioning seems to be key. Higuita seemed to be careful to tucked very closely behind a bigger rider in the double paceline.

Nonetheless it was a big, impressive effort.

I'm sure I'm wrong about this but being small might not hurt in x winds -- it depends on the aerodynamic profile you present. A big solid guy is still going to have to push the same relative w/kg. Also positioning seems to be key. Higuita seemed to be careful to tucked very closely behind a bigger rider in the double paceline.

I think echelon riding contains a lot of very physical battle for position where smaller riders are less likely to be able to compete with the big boys.

I think echelon riding contains a lot of very physical battle for position where smaller riders are less likely to be able to compete with the big boys.
This is true but you can compensate with smarts and bike handling. Having Sep by your side does probably help too.
Higuita looks to be a truly special talent. I hope the MTF is not cancelled, it would be interesting to see how he measures with Quintana.

I suspect it helps when you can ride underneath the wind.

Higuita is small and obviously lightweight, but he doesn't seem "lanky". He seems to have more power than the traditional small skinny climbers, which also shows in his sprints. He looks to be able to sit compactly on his bike, not unlike Evenepoel who is 3 kgs heavier and 5 cm taller, for reference. Obviously it helps battling the wind. Higuita has also done some rather decent ITT's in the past. So it's not surprising he does better than most would expect. On the other hand, he still impresses not just being able to hang on in crosswinds, being able to keep his position in a group of much taller and heavier riders, but also having the wits to be there where he needed to be when he needed to be. The comical effect of looking at what would appear to be a 14 year old riding among vikings, is icing on the cake.

This is true but you can compensate with smarts and bike handling. Having Sep by your side does probably help too.

Then, if all else fails, he can just jump into Sep's pocket and be nice and snug!

I suspect it helps when you can ride underneath the wind.

That's what I always say as well! The smaller you are, the less surface area for the wind to catch.

Reactions: Bolder

TRENDING THREADS