• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Shleck vs Contador - showdown.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Forget the big American Texas rider from the America. This years Tour is about Andy Shleck and Contador. Watching LBL yesterday Shleck looks so good on a bike especially when climbing. His one weakness is the time trial but that will improve. Contador can’t climb like Shleck but is a better at the time trial for obvious reasons. Contador is not as smart as Shleck either which will count against him. My money is on Shleck to smash Contador by at least 2.30s in the final GC standings.

Generally I would favour the time trialer over the better climber in close GC battles but this tour might be diffrent for one simple reason, Mont Ventoux.

Usually I would say that Contador can defend himself better in the mountains and stay close to a rival climber than Andy Schleck can defend himself in a time trial. The diffrence this year is that the final GC decision won't end with a TT.

When the GC is about to de decided the riders know exactly how much they need to stay ahead of a certain competitor to take the win. This is a very psycological situation that has enourmous effect on a riders performance in close battles.

This year the same principle applies instead to the final climb of the tour and thus the advantage is shifted to the best climber. For that reason I wouldn't count out Schleck sompletely against Contador.

Still I would put my money on Contador because I don't think Andy is that much better at climbing than him.

whiteboytrash said:
Forget the big American Texas rider from the America. This years Tour is about Andy Shleck and Contador. Watching LBL yesterday Shleck looks so good on a bike especially when climbing. His one weakness is the time trial but that will improve. Contador can’t climb like Shleck but is a better at the time trial for obvious reasons. Contador is not as smart as Shleck either which will count against him. My money is on Shleck to smash Contador by at least 2.30s in the final GC standings.

I really have to disagree with you there, i still dont believe A. Schleck is a good a climber as Contador, i think andy is a awesome climber but not in the class of AC, coupled with AC's incredibly strong team i say AC would win 9 times out of 10. You say AC isnt as smart as AS but both blew up at vitally important time in stage races (AC in Paris-Nice and AS in the tour) so i believe both will be intelligent about there racing tactics in races to come. Ac is a way better TTer and i think it will show even with the very little TTing there is.

Dont take it the wrong way Whiteboy, thats just my opinion and you have yours. So i guess only time will tell

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
I really have to disagree with you there, i still dont believe A. Schleck is a good a climber as Contador, i think andy is a awesome climber but not in the class of AC, coupled with AC's incredibly strong team i say AC would win 9 times out of 10. You say AC isnt as smart as AS but both blew up at vitally important time in stage races (AC in Paris-Nice and AS in the tour) so i believe both will be intelligent about there racing tactics in races to come. Ac is a way better TTer and i think it will show even with the very little TTing there is.

Dont take it the wrong way Whiteboy, thats just my opinion and you have yours. So i guess only time will tell

I can't believe you said those things about me. I'm very hurt.

I have to disagree. I think Saxo have a mighty team. Comparable to Astana if not better. Outside of Levi and that other bloke from Texas they're not that strong. I'm assuming Kloden will be pulled by ASO so that’s not a lot of backup. Compare that to Canc, O'Grady, Frank etc. and that’s one mighty team. In addition they will all ride for the young boy Shleck. Astana have there own problems and I can see Contador not obeying team orders. He hates Levi and I'm not sure how he feels about the bloke from Texas America. He will attack outside team orders.

whiteboytrash said:
I can't believe you said those things about me. I'm very hurt.

I have to disagree. I think Saxo have a mighty team. Comparable to Astana if not better. Outside of Levi and that other bloke from Texas they're not that strong. I'm assuming Kloden will be pulled by ASO so that’s not a lot of backup. Compare that to Canc, O'Grady, Frank etc. and that’s one mighty team. In addition they will all ride for the young boy Shleck. Astana have there own problems and I can see Contador not obeying team orders. He hates Levi and I'm not sure how he feels about the bloke from Texas America. He will attack outside team orders.

Seems like alot of "what-ifs" and assumptions to me. I'll go with the more proven rider in Contador, + I'm not entirely sold on the idea that Schleck is a much more dominant climber?? The TDF is what JB and crew live for, there wont be any messups like in PN.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Merckx said:
Seems like alot of "what-ifs" and assumptions to me. I'll go with the more proven rider in Contador, + I'm not entirely sold on the idea that Schleck is a much more dominant climber?? The TDF is what JB and crew live for, there wont be any messups like in PN.

What and Saxo don't live for the Tour ? Riis knows Contador is a headcase and will be easy to demonise him into errors. Shleck all the way.

I think it's a tougher call than people think.
Two very strong teams......on paper.
I actually believe Contador's climbing is a little over-rated.
To me, he hasn't quite got the punch he had in 2007 and Rasmussen eventually got the better of him on the Aubisque.
Maybe it's a by-product of the improved trialing.
Sure, he's explosive in the attack, but doesn't seem to be able to sustain it in the same way.
Perhaps he will prove me wrong, come the Tour.

For me, it's really about how much better Andy has or hasn't become in the passed 12 months.
I haven't forgotten him on the Alpe, last year.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

That’s what sold it for me. He looked scarily good on the Alpe and if he was riding for his own needs he would have won by 5 minutes. Easy.

Also noting Shleck on Sunday it looked as thou he just rode away from everyone. Cuengo said this morning that his attack was very powerful. That’s why I like him - looks so easy and efficient on a bike and doesn't overact like Contador jumping off performing meaningless attacks. When Shleck goes, he goes and saves good energy.

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
I think I'd still favour Contador, for this year at least, especially since Saxo will probably be thinking more of Frank than Andy for GC initially (Frank is probably the stronger of the two overall at the moment).

I would really like to see Andy Schleck riding for the win in the Giro this year - I think the Giro probably suits him a bit better than the Tour anyway, and he's clearly got some good from right now.

Ah well, it will be an interesting July anyway.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
I think Alberto is still a little bit better than Andy physically. Though Andy seems to be cooler under pressure. To win, Saxo needs to isolate Contador and somehow get him to panic. That will be difficult, but still possible. I'll be cheering for Andy, though. I agree with WBT that there seems to be some internal rivalry within Astana. It's probably nothing serious, but given the right/wrong circumstances, it could happen that Levi&Lance ride for eachother and leave Alberto to fend for himself.

Neither Andy nor Fränk will ride the Giro this year.

whiteboytrash said:
That’s what sold it for me. He looked scarily good on the Alpe and if he was riding for his own needs he would have won by 5 minutes. Easy.

Also noting Shleck on Sunday it looked as thou he just rode away from everyone. Cuengo said this morning that his attack was very powerful. That’s why I like him - looks so easy and efficient on a bike and doesn't overact like Contador jumping off performing meaningless attacks. When Shleck goes, he goes and saves good energy.

I would have to say that Contador's "meaningless attacks" have resulted in quite a bit more success than Andy Schleck's efficient efforts, this being only Schleck's 2nd actual major win in his career.

Mellow Velo said:
I think it's a tougher call than people think.
Two very strong teams......on paper.
I actually believe Contador's climbing is a little over-rated.
To me, he hasn't quite got the punch he had in 2007 and Rasmussen eventually got the better of him on the Aubisque.
Maybe it's a by-product of the improved trialing.
Sure, he's explosive in the attack, but doesn't seem to be able to sustain it in the same way.
Perhaps he will prove me wrong, come the Tour.

For me, it's really about how much better Andy has or hasn't become in the passed 12 months.

Well,yes,Rasmussen dropped Contador on the Aubisque,but also don't forget that on the Peyresourde,in the previous stage,those 4 devastating attacks placed by Alberto made the Chicken work really really hard to close the gap.
And i will also ask you where was MR before the tour? Allegedly in the Dolomites(training and probably doing some other stuff that proved decisive on the Aubisque:rolleyes:). But nowhere to be found by the testers.

I haven't forgot Andy's performance in the Alps either,but i also remember that Hautacam stage. He must avoid situations like those if he wants to beat AC.
But for now,i don't see a better climber than Contador. And when he's in top form,nobody can drop him,or should i say nobody is able to sit in his wheel in the mountains.;)
Maybe Andy will prove me wrong,but until then,my money is on Alberto.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Schleck and Contador

I don't know that Schleck is a better climber than Contador, but I think you're right- it will come down to a two man race. I'd be very surprised if anyone else poses a serious threat.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:

You're full of it. Andy Schleck cannot climb with Contador. Contador is an explosive climber. Schleck can't hang with him in the Alps.

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Sheltowee said:
You're full of it. Andy Schleck cannot climb with Contador. Contador is an explosive climber. Schleck can't hang with him in the Alps.

I don't know about that...Schleck looked pretty damn convincing helping Sastre win the tour on Alpe d'Huez last year.

Sheltowee said:

Well, it's pretty clear that's what you hope.
As for it being true, we will have to wait until July to find out.
That's unless you are going to loan out your crystal ball.

Last year? I remember the Hautcam stage, too.
Like the Fayence stage in Paris-Nice, perhaps?

I also remember Monte Pora and the Marmolada.;)

Nothing is set in stone......

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Schleck sure does look extremely good right now.
To drop Gilbert like that:eek:, that's a good sign for Andy's Tour campaign.
I think that the one big advantage that Andy has is that as soon as he shows he's the stronger brother, Frank and the rest of the team will kill themselves for him, whereas AC might get help only for the Ventoux, if then, from LA and LL.
Who is a better climber? I'm yet to see one or the other being put under real pressure in a big climb, last time for both to be challenged was a few years back (not counting AC's Giro last year, he wasn't at his best there).
In any case, both should podium. I have a sneeky feeling a certain Russian will keep them company there;).

I'd give Andy a bigger shot if he could TT better. I don't know if I agree with you that he's a better climber - I'd probably still have to give the edge to AC for now, but who knows come July? And even if Schleck winds up being stronger climbs, will it be enough to overcome his TT shortcomings? Fortunately for him, it's not a Tour heavy in TT miles, but he still will need to limit his losses.

I figure the teams' relative strengths are going to be a big factor. Who is going to have the best help in the mountains? There are lots of question marks. Does Levi race all out at the Giro and is he fresh for the Tour? Will Kloden make it to the start? What kind of form will Zubeldia have? You never know with him. Will Horner be there in the mts. or even make the team? And of course, no one knows what to expect from Armstrong.

Will Frank be as strong as he was last year? Without Sastre, will Saxo have anyone else there in the high Mts? CASorensen? Larsson? Do they even need someone else there? Will the Schlecklet sleep with his TT bike for the next 2 months?

And will either team go into the Tour 100% behind one guy? Much more chance of in-team friction in Astana, having more possible chiefs (and the Schlecks being bros).

Will be interesting no matter what happens. In fact, we might be in for the 1st of several showdowns. Come July, Andy and Alberto will only be 24 and 26!

I think Andy Schleck and Contador are about equal in climbing ability, maybe even Andy a bit better. But in TT-ability... Andy Schleck has a LOT of work to do. He is not even remotely close atm. Albeit not a dramatic time trialist, he can hold his own, he is not a match for Alberto.

Luckily for Andy, he is still 23, and by the time he is 26, he will start his great reign of terror. Andy even said he wanted to ride classics as the Tour of Flanders in the future as well as grand tours... fear him.

FOLKS,
Remember that you are watching Andy climb in the ARDENNES; these are very very very different climbs than a rider must face in the Tour. Ardennes climbs are about 5 minute long efforts at the most, whereas Tour Cols are 40 minute to an hour long slogs up mountains.

Not disagreeing that Schleck looked very good at LBL and FW, but just remember that you are looking at his power climbing ability (much/most of which can be done anaerobically) and this is very differently from the ability to climb at a high threshold power wattage for almost an hour.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I think Andy Schleck and Contador are about equal in climbing ability, maybe even Andy a bit better. But in TT-ability... Andy Schleck has a LOT of work to do. He is not even remotely close atm. Albeit not a dramatic time trialist, he can hold his own, he is not a match for Alberto.

Luckily for Andy, he is still 23, and by the time he is 26, he will start his great reign of terror. Andy even said he wanted to ride classics as the Tour of Flanders in the future as well as grand tours... fear him.

:D

I hope he does develop into a GT winrar and also race the cobbles in the future. It would be cool if cycling got an across-the-board champion again, if even just for a year or two.

BikeCentric said:
FOLKS,
Remember that you are watching Andy climb in the ARDENNES; these are very very very different climbs than a rider must face in the Tour. Ardennes climbs are about 5 minute long efforts at the most, whereas Tour Cols are 40 minute to an hour long slogs up mountains.

Not disagreeing that Schleck looked very good at LBL and FW, but just remember that you are looking at his power climbing ability (much/most of which can be done anaerobically) and this is very differently from the ability to climb at a high threshold power wattage for almost an hour.

Agreed, but it's not like we haven't seen Andy climb really, really well at the Tour and Giro.

whiteboytrash said:

for someone Like AC who has won 3 grand tours is very offensive from you to question how smart he is- and even more to compare him with a young talent that just won a classic ---As far as AS goes-no question on his skills but he is a future prospect and right now AC is the present and he's the one winning races

TRENDING THREADS