• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

should dopers pay back their salary

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

should dopers pay back their salary?

• No because without a clear consistency it’s a rule mockery

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The world would be a better place if the money was donated
to a charitable foundation. Let the rider choose which one.

A

Anonymous

Polish said:
The world would be a better place if the money was donated
to a charitable foundation. Let the rider choose which one.

livestrong? :D

F'in Ey! The world would be a better place then, and all you guys would be chuffed.. :D

Doping fines to livestrong.. what a concept..

on a side note ive had a bit of a dig on the legal aspect (based on employment law) and it is littered with problems... is it a fine? is it just equivalent to their salary, or actually their salary, who collects the money, the UCI, or the team who then forward it to the UCI. its a mire.. for instance some US states it is legal for an employer to find a member of staff some it isnt.. is the law based on your place of work, your normal residence, the country in which your team is based, i just cant see it working.. even if CAS agree it a european can take it to the european court to judge, where do the americans go.. i just cant see how it can work..

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
If Lance gets busted this year, he would have to donate his One Dollar Astana salary.
Geez, maybe they would give him a yellow bracelet

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Well I said it mockingly, but I wanted to hint at the incentives that are being provided to simply circumvent these rules. For example, just like some CEOs who sometimes try to bypass certain maximum renumeration limits, they started receiving most of their salary in shares/options etc.

Could riders not come up with payment schemes that would avoid huge losses, because some payment isn't really 'salary'? I haven't read the charter so I don't know what the 'letter of the law' entails...

Secondly, a fairness consideration perhaps. If someone earns a million per year, and a water carrier 50000, the water carrier's life could be financially destroyed. Although an absolute loss of 1 million is obviously much higher than 50000, it seems likely that he could still do well (enough) during his consecutive suspension. The water carrier who never achieved financial independence, loses 50000 for a year's work and gets slapped with a 2 year suspension, with nothing to fall back on.

Let alone that the 1 million dollar man has had the advantage of getting a better doctor/program.

thoughts?

A

Anonymous

one thing i do think, is that the UCI should make riders sign contracts that say if they are banned for doping they are not allowed to profit from it.. so they should not be able to receive any moneys for books, tv appearances etc (unless those books reveal names and details)..

why should a rider get banned at 34, retire, and rake it in from an autobiography..

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
quiensabe said:
"Fighting anti-doping". Don't you mean fighting doping?

Yes, I went back and fixed it. But on second thought, considering who it was that famously gave the UCI a big chunk of change to fight doping, perhaps my original Freudian slip had more truth in it. ;)

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
one thing i do think, is that the UCI should make riders sign contracts that say if they are banned for doping they are not allowed to profit from it.. so they should not be able to receive any moneys for books, tv appearances etc (unless those books reveal names and details)..

why should a rider get banned at 34, retire, and rake it in from an autobiography..

Ban something and you've automatically created a black market for it. Uh... wait, isn't that what happens with drugs? :D

ak-zaaf said:
I totally disagree. There is one spot where you can hurt a pro-rider and that's in his wallet. Branded a cheat in a world full of cheats? Who cares. Just clean up your act after the suspension, act like you're sorry and willing to fight for a clean sport and you will be welcomed back as a lost son.

I presume that the suspension already hits them in the wallet. I don't think there is employment insurance for "Banned due to doping".

A

Anonymous

Copied21 said:
I don't think life bans will also be effective. In America and other countries if you murder somebody you can face capital punishment, and yet people still murder other people.
]

i think there may be a slight difference between doping sportsmen and psychotically deranged criminals who murder people...

A

Anonymous

Ripper said:
There might be less than you think! :D

I would also point out that "in america and some other countries..." well america, and a load of very barbaric backward countries such as china, iran, iraq, half of africa, korea, syria, qatar, afghanistan........

but lets not go there...

Convair_B-58A_Hustler_front_view_061101-F-1234P-021.jpg

It's not the severity of punishment that is going to act as a deterrent, it's the certainty of it. In today's age, the lack of certainty, especially when most riders don't think they'll get caught, and are generally proven to be correct with their actions, is the problem.

Thus, I'm generally voting no. And I think it's time we stop focusing almost entirely on the riders.

Teams, doctors, soigners, managers, coaches, trainers. There is a big support system that exists under the surface of a rider who dopes. Anyone who thinks a rider makes connections on their own, buys doping products on their own, and injects said products on their own, and monitors their progress on their own, is really, really naive.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
It's not the severity of punishment that is going to act as a deterrent, it's the certainty of it. In today's age, the lack of certainty, especially when most riders don't think they'll get caught, and are generally proven to be correct with their actions, is the problem.

Thus, I'm generally voting no. And I think it's time we stop focusing almost entirely on the riders.

Teams, doctors, soigners, managers, coaches, trainers. There is a big support system that exists under the surface of a rider who dopes. Anyone who thinks a rider makes connections on their own, buys doping products on their own, and injects said products on their own, and monitors their progress on their own, is really, really naive.
the underlined statement is certainly true. and i agree the blame as well as the financial penalties should extent to the enablers. but we also know that in many cases, particularly post festina, some riders themselves initiate and drive their doping. that act is tantamount to defrauding their team mates and their competition that in some cases results in entire teams disbanding.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
What a close poll. Obviously well put together.

I say no, because without consistency of application any penalties are at best a joke, at worst a fraud. If you accept that the UCI is not complicit with certain riders or even certain teams charging, then I am in the wrong. But if you suspect that some riders are sacrificed while others are protected or forced to be "ill" for a couple of weeks, then it appears that Moreni is paying a personal price while other riders, teams, sponsors, and UCI officials profit from doping. And forcing some people to pay while allowing others to profit is more disgusting than turning a blind eye to doping altogether.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
they have been paid and been cheats. they should pay all their slaries back to the teams and their prize money in the races they tested positive for back to the race organisers cos their race looks bad.