• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

should vino be forgiven ?

should vino be forgiven ?

• On the fence

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i’m a bit confused if not disappointed (to be honest) with how vino’s victory at liege was received...i know the history and all that.

but I want to sort it out and make it simple - should vino be forgiven for his past sins ?

(mods. i hope the poll stays out of the clinic because my question is about forgiveness )

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
To be forgiven he must first seek forgiveness. I have no problem with allowing people to serve their suspensions and come back to the peloton as long as they come clean about what they have done and at least pretend to be making an effort to reform. Vino got caught absolutely red-handed, and has done nothing but deny, deny, deny.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
To be forgiven he must first seek forgiveness. I have no problem with allowing people to serve their suspensions and come back to the peloton as long as they come clean about what they have done and at least pretend to be making an effort to reform. Vino got caught absolutely red-handed, and has done nothing but deny, deny, deny.

You are wrong...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Fine, tell us why as opposed to making a statement
Argue it with rational conclusions to why he is wrong, because from where I see it you have less of a case than Jamsque

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:

Unlike, say, David Millar? Or Tyler Hamilton? Or Floyd Landis? Or Lance Armstrong? Or (insert name of doper here)?

I doubt very much that Vino is seeking forgiveness - he's a pro, he knows the score - but the hypocricy of the reaction in some quarters is simply a joke.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Notso Swift said:
Argue it with rational conclusions to why he is wrong, because from where I see it you have less of a case than Jamsque

edited by mod : overaggressive and insulting

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I was a big fan of Vino back in the day, I don't think anyone would deny that he is an exciting and aggressive rider. When he got caught, he acted (much like Landis) as though the whole thing was some huge conspiracy that had been concocted specifically to slander and defame him. I think that is doing a massive disservice to his fans. When he got caught he should have been man enough to admit he made a mistake, instead of treating his supporters like idiots by feeding them a line of bull****.

Also, Dean? Back off. It would be nice to for once have a discussion without it descending into personal attacks before the end of the first page.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Notso Swift said:
let me remark that i meant the poll to be less of a rational analysis exercise (you can't rationalize forgiveness) and more a personal opinion expression.

there is no reasonable way to argue that my set of criteria for forgiveness for say rider X is 'better' than yours etc. that's why i dont agree with your stance demanding answers from trdean. i disagree with jamsque but i accept the difference without insisting on being right..unless i detect inconsistency and hypocrisy.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
I was a big fan of Vino back in the day, I don't think anyone would deny that he is an exciting and aggressive rider. When he got caught, he acted (much like Landis) as though the whole thing was some huge conspiracy that had been concocted specifically to slander and defame him. I think that is doing a massive disservice to his fans. When he got caught he should have been man enough to admit he made a mistake, instead of treating his supporters like idiots by feeding them a line of bull****.

Also, Dean? Back off. It would be nice to for once have a discussion without it descending into personal attacks before the end of the first page.

No back off here...I was attacked first...not by you...but none the less. I see where your opinion lies...no problem there. But I think you are going back over two years and characterizing Vino...lately he has been contrite.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
So Jamsque, this is about you feeling let down by Vino, right? One of the advantages of being a fan of the sport rather than individual riders is that you don't get disappointed by human nature ;)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
So Jamsque, this is about you feeling let down by Vino, right? One of the advantages of being a fan of the sport rather than individual riders is that you don't get disappointed by human nature ;)

I like to think I'm a fan of both, and yes, I do feel let down by Vino in a way, just as I feel let down by Basso and Piepoli and Ricco' and Millar and all the other guys I rooted for who got caught. I feel that if they are willing to admit what they did, acknowledge that it was wrong and apologise to their fans for betraying their trust, then I am willing to forgive them for cheating. If they are going to take me for a fool and try to convince me that they are the victims of some sinister group trying to besmirch their good name then I am not.

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
Well it's nothing personal about Vino for me, he is probably no worse than many other cyclists. His win just made such an obvious point: "The system doesn't work". Sure you feel like that after a lot of races but it was so undeniable this time, not only are the tests ineffective but the punishments doesn't do crap either. It's hard to see how this sport can clean up anytime soon.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
I like to think I'm a fan of both, and yes, I do feel let down by Vino in a way, just as I feel let down by Basso and Piepoli and Ricco' and Millar and all the other guys I rooted for who got caught. I feel that if they are willing to admit what they did, acknowledge that it was wrong and apologise to their fans for betraying their trust, then I am willing to forgive them for cheating. If they are going to take me for a fool and try to convince me that they are the victims of some sinister group trying to besmirch their good name then I am not.
But are you sure that Millar and his "I doped that one time, but I regret it and I'm clean now" isn't playing you for a fool just as much as Vino? Let alone "I only attempted to dope".

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
That was one hell of an impressive win at LBL. The man paid his dues like so many other riders in the peloton today. Folks cheer on Millar, Basso, the French went nuts for Virenque when he came back etc...

Forgive, let him get on with his profession. He's a great rider and he puts some real fire under the peloton.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Forgiven?? By who? Us?

The only thing that bothers me is that people want him to say he's sorry. Others did that and they're fine now. Don't matter how low they went before that (Basso) or after that (Millar).
The only difference between the Vino case and those two is that Vino 'lied' to you once, the so-called apologists twice.

I rather have someone who comes back to just win races than some Born Again - Holier Than Thou A-hole.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
saxofan said:
If vino can be forgiven, so should Rasmussen. either you forgive everyone or you dont

then start a poll on rassmussen, write in your linkage criteria and see how many will agree. will you. i promise i'll vote. now go do it.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Forgive him for what? If he says I 'm sorry he gets the 2 years back? Saying please forgive me is not part of the punishment. If the wacks at the UCI said anybody who admits they are wrong will serve a year everybody would be sorry so fast it would make your head spin. All these guys and Ricco's girlfriend are smart to keep their mouth closed because the level of guilt looks less when you look at the credibility of the tests and testers.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Yes, he should be forgiven.

Although I will add a reservation to this by saying that it is a disgrace that the sanction is so light. He is straight back racing at Pro Tour level after just 2 years. The old 2 year suspension & another 2 years where a rider was unable to join a Pro Tour team was a more appropriate sanction imo.

Ultimately he has been sanctioned, served his time the same as everyone else. His lack of contrition (even after yesterdays letter) just means I will be less surprised if he falls foul of the system again.

Forgiven yes, forgotten no.

I'm in the minority here. I think all of them - no exceptions and provided that the case was properly handled - should be banned for life.

Of course, life bans would never work: all of the other factors (UCI, procedures, teams, omerta, money etc etc etc) are misaligned. Plus ça change and all that.

Doesn't change my vote though, sorry :(

TRENDING THREADS