• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sky/Froome Talk Only (No Way Sky Are Cleans?)

Page 69 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I realise that this is the Clinic, and tactics don't really belong here. However, I would not read that much into either Froome's or Wiggins' statements regarding their goals for the seaseon at this moment.

Wiggins and Froome leaving the opposition in the dark about what their true ambitions are for the year would actually help the team in both the Giro and the preparation for the Tour. For example, in preparing for the Tour, it makes a difference whether your principal rival is the stronger time trialist (Wiggins) or the stronger climber (Froome), while for the Giro, it's useful to know whether your main rival could potentially be holding something back for the Tour, or will instead try to peak for the Giro.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Pentacycle said:
And realistically, how could Hesjedal be even better than he was pre-Giro, when he could hit 5.9 FTP?

Dunno. Just remember what the paragon of truth wrote here at the time:

JV1973 said:
Ryder was actually showing high power to weight and better form in the 7 days before the Tour, than he was before the Giro. Whether or not his form would have held for the entire length of the Tour? I don't know. No one does.

JV

enCYCLOpedia said:
I realise that this is the Clinic, and tactics don't really belong here. However, I would not read that much into either Froome's or Wiggins' statements regarding their goals for the seaseon at this moment.

Wiggins and Froome leaving the opposition in the dark about what their true ambitions are for the year would actually help the team in both the Giro and the preparation for the Tour. For example, in preparing for the Tour, it makes a difference whether your principal rival is the stronger time trialist (Wiggins) or the stronger climber (Froome), while for the Giro, it's useful to know whether your main rival could potentially be holding something back for the Tour, or will instead try to peak for the Giro.

Sky mystery tactics?!

They will ride on the front for 21 stages and win.

That's about it.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
enCYCLOpedia said:

Nothing to do with tactics just the fact that Wiggins has the biggest ego in cycling since LA.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
del1962 said:
Bigger than Sagan's?

At least equal to it. To say what he has said in the press shows this. He had success on the track (clean maybe?) but couldn't resist the road, my thoughts are that he has rationalized what he 'needed' to do by the fact that his 'idols' Indurain, Armstrong et al did the same.

Pentacycle said:
Most important would've been whether Hesjedal was putting out those numbers at the end of the Tour as well.

His TT isn't good, I think it would've been like Contador 2011 or worse. Froome and Pinot would've shredded him.

And realistically, how could Hesjedal be even better than he was pre-Giro, when he could hit 5.9 FTP?

Giro 2011 was the hardest grand tour since they invented television, and Contador attacked an average of 2.4 times per stage.

Cant be compared to the 2012 edition which while not an easy parcors, was a walk in the park compared and was the most pathetically raced gt since, welll since they invented television.

SundayRider said:
At least equal to it. To say what he has said in the press shows this. He had success on the track (clean maybe?) but couldn't resist the road, my thoughts are that he has rationalized what he 'needed' to do by the fact that his 'idols' Indurain, Armstrong et al did the same.

I think the breaking point was the spring of 2009. He was beaten by Contador in a time trial that should have been ideal for Wiggins. It was a stage Wiggins had targeted as a season goal. He was practically crying afterward. Not long after, the transformation.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Giro 2011 was the hardest grand tour since they invented television, and Contador attacked an average of 2.4 times per stage.

Cant be compared to the 2012 edition which while not an easy parcors, was a walk in the park compared and was the most pathetically raced gt since, welll since they invented television.

I suspect the 2011 Giro won't let you go in 10 years ago too.

it isn't so actually. as far as i remember someone was doing analytical comparison. The difference between editions was the Etna stage in terms of hardness. If this turns the hardest GT into walk in the park, I give up