• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sky/Froome Talk Only (No Way Sky Are Cleans?)

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
will10 said:
Froome's TT performances in the 2008 Tour were 31st in the Cholet ITT (+1'49 to Schumacher, +1'31 to Kirchen, over 29km) and 14th in the penultimate day Saint-Amand ITT (+3'00 to Schumacher, +2'39 to Cancellara, over 53km).

In this year's Tour's Besançon ITT, Philippe Gilbert placed 31st (+3'47 to Wiggins, over 41km), and Daniel Oss placed 14th in the penultimate day Chartres ITT (+3'27 to Wiggins, over 52km).

Would anyone describe either Gilbert's or Oss' performances as "very impressive"? Should we be expecting either of them to be out-TTing Cancellara and Tony M. anytime soon?

It's not quite like that, Froome was 23 in his first year as a pro/first GT. So those placings are not very good for established rouleurs Gilbert and Oss but for a newbie it may be something.

But most strong ITT'ers show their strengths very early. You only have to look at Phinney, Sergent, Durbridge... they are already very competitive ITTs and listed amongst the favourites.

In that sense you could say that Froome never showed anything to suggest he would become world class, 3rd or 4th best against the clock.

JimmyFingers said:
This whole alien Froome is vacuous as best, ugly bias at worst. You love Contador so much you are willing to forgive his doping, but Froome looks like a preying Mantis so he's condemned?

Utter, utter drivel.

Factor in talking about yourself in the third person and we have both hypocrite and meglomaniac.

Contador looks great on a bike, oozes European panache. Froome is the opposite but if either are doping neither should be riding. There are no degrees of guilt, and no lighter sentences because you make it look good. Perhaps Contador should get preference because he's so stylish, just like Wiggins should for being a toff from Maida Vale.

The credibility is gone when you grade drug cheats according to how they look on a bike or ride a race. Dopers make for entertaining riding, bit it's a sham. Who doesn't love Pantani, Coppi, Tom Simpson? Drug cheats all of them, and thrilling bike riders.

It isn't a personality contest, and you don't win GTs on artistic merit. Post something with intelligence and something without resorting to lying for a change

I forgive Sky's doping.

biopass said:
Hey buddy.

Try watch some dressage. A sport where the classiest and best looking competitor wins. Im sure you will love it.

HUH??? Dressage is about performing exacting movements with the least amount of deductions while showing extension and expression. You can look classy and be the best looking but if you don't perform the best, you will not win.

Maybe you mean a halter class?

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Carols said:
HUH??? Dressage is about performing exacting movements with the least amount of deductions while showing extension and expression. You can look classy and be the best looking but if you don't perform the best, you will not win.

I think he means synchronised swimming.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
will10 said:
Froome's TT performances in the 2008 Tour were 31st in the Cholet ITT (+1'49 to Schumacher, +1'31 to Kirchen, over 29km) and 14th in the penultimate day Saint-Amand ITT (+3'00 to Schumacher, +2'39 to Cancellara, over 53km).

In this year's Tour's Besançon ITT, Philippe Gilbert placed 31st (+3'47 to Wiggins, over 41km), and Daniel Oss placed 14th in the penultimate day Chartres ITT (+3'27 to Wiggins, over 52km).

Would anyone describe either Gilbert's or Oss' performances as "very impressive"? Should we be expecting either of them to be out-TTing Cancellara and Tony M. anytime soon?
first tour, at 23

first gt

put it in perspective

Velo1ticker said:
3 months or 6 months ban in the off season isn't fighting dope it is helping/assisting the doping culture. Proof is in my last posting: “Other award winners included Italian national champion Franco Pellizotti” All the Italians want is to get the dopers back on the road as fast as possible legally. Cheating IS the Italian way!

fcukin dirty tooth uptight female sounding brits also cheat

Velo1ticker said:
3 months or 6 months ban in the off season isn't fighting dope it is helping/assisting the doping culture. Proof is in my last posting: “Other award winners included Italian national champion Franco Pellizotti” All the Italians want is to get the dopers back on the road as fast as possible legally. Cheating IS the Italian way!

fcukin dirty tooth uptight female sounding brits also loves to cheat

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Carols said:

And you dont call that aesthetics?

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
dont think you are implying a sockpuppet. I will only go to this mo if (and when) I get banned. then might camouflage the persona. I have only made a few posts outside this forum, (sub-forum). Perhaps 0.5% of total posts.

no I wasn't suggesting a sock puppet. Just that perhaps you have an admirer. That's all. Seriously though, I'm shocked people haven't created sock puppets on here to stir some people...and that is the established long time forumists. Not a bad idea.

Bans only last forever if you're Arbiter. Makes me wonder if we'll ever see Polish again? Or Wonderlance.

And to Wiggins biggest fanboy. Nobody is lying. Except you. Said you wouldn't reply to me and yet here you are getting all upset again and weirdly trying to hide whom your posts are directed to. Run off to a mod for a cry again?

What thehog posted stands along with Libertine's description. Froome is just a marketers worst nightmare. It is asking far too much. Insulting the considerable intelligence of far too many fans who've seen through less obvious dodgy practices. Froome is the one Sky rider I look forward to hearing from. Can't wait for his theatrics next year. Perhaps Contador's statement the other day was said in anticipation for 2013? Maybe Alberto and Riis think Froome's early ambition and public announcement needs to be countered. Maybe Froome is soaring too high? My money is on him to get popped. I'd be surprised if it were anyone else.

What this place needs for Christmas is a dopers meme page. Some pictures with some nice captions. Laughing helps everyone. Anyone up for that? We can start with Sky and send some festive cheer up to the cold fireplaces on Britain.;)

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
G was only 19 or 20. barely out of nappies

Yeah I know that. But so was John Lee Augustyn.

My point was if I didn't go back and watch the footage from that Tour I would never have remembered any of them apart from Augustyn and he's nowhere on the radar. I remember seeing plenty of riders who suddenly popped out of the woodwork one year and were suddenly very good. But nothing like Froome. He's a whole different kettle of fish.

I'll give him this much though. His anti-doping comments were the best from the Sky boys. Not saying they were good, just an improvement from his team as a whole and individually. And I do like the smack his GF has laid down. She's a fighter and feisty one. Maybe Froome's outward demands to be numero uno at the Tour are a reflection of her influence. Everyone wants a piece of the Sky pie. But there is only so much! Who will miss out now they have to race Contador?

ho ho ho

Galic Ho said:
Laughing helps everyone. Anyone up for that? We can start with Sky and send some festive cheer up to the cold fireplaces on Britain.;)

ho galic..............always humour in your posts...................just in from

walking the dog............there are giant inflatable santas in neighbours

gardens and it's still novemenber that's festive cheer for ya!

no sock puppets here........no fireplace to hang one on.......won't even

have a tree...........and no pics of sky riders on the wall

big year next year...........froome for the tour if he is not popped

will the sky threads be closed?

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Funny you should bring this up.
I've got all of Eurosport's 2008 TDF coverage archived to DVD
which shows quite a bit of Froome riding towards the head of the bunch on all the climbs....................
..........until CSC put the hammer down and then he quickly disappears.

Taking of ET moments, the 2008 most "unbelievable" award must go to Fabian Cancellara, who pulls for most of the Croix de Fer, into a headwind, decimates the contenders group and takes back biggest part of 10 minutes on the break, all on his lonesome.

So your DVD didn't have Ricco on it? Or Kohl and Schumacher? Or what about Sastre winning the Tour on Alpe d'Huez? How about Cobo and Piepoli tag teaming Franck 'I'd never dope but I do visit gaenocologists' Schleck? No I guess not. But the classiest rider in the peloton pulling looked like the dodgiest thing that year.

Seriously??? Not sure anyone who isn't pro Sky buys that. Ricco road away from the entire peloton and Schumacher put 30 seconds in the chronos into Cancellara not once but twice! Yeah Spartacus was the odd one on the tv.

Wanna know what my DVD's of the Tour from 2006 show? Phil Liggett having a good chuckle on the first mountain of the Tour and Wiggins gets dropped...by the Groupetto. My how times have changed. And people wonder why others doubt riders.:eek:

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
ebandit said:
ho galic..............always humour in your posts...................just in from

Sky threads close? Why? Did the Lance threads close? No, they're still doing business. Just not as much now, because only the clinically insane still believe.

Oh, my bad, that isn't true. Some people who are really, really, really, really, really stupid still believe. And yes, some of us give those people hell in real life when they open their gobs. Facebook had some seriously upset people these last few months who still believe in Lancey. You should check the FB updates for this site. Some really hurt and truly angry people who can't let go are posting there. None seem to take the offer to post on here....well maybe one or two have...

But I do agree. Froome will be all sorts of amusement to watch next year. Waiting for a train crash. I think it's going to be EPIC.;)

Galic Ho said:
So your DVD didn't have Ricco on it? Or Kohl and Schumacher? Or what about Sastre winning the Tour on Alpe d'Huez? How about Cobo and Piepoli tag teaming Franck 'I'd never dope but I do visit gaenocologists' Schleck? No I guess not. But the classiest rider in the peloton pulling looked like the dodgiest thing that year.

Seriously??? Not sure anyone who isn't pro Sky buys that. Ricco road away from the entire peloton and Schumacher put 30 seconds in the chronos into Cancellara not once but twice! Yeah Spartacus was the odd one on the tv.

Wanna know what my DVD's of the Tour from 2006 show? Phil Liggett having a good chuckle on the first mountain of the Tour and Wiggins gets dropped...by the Groupetto. My how times have changed. And people wonder why others doubt riders.:eek:

Excellent post! :)

Galic Ho said:

+1
You're on Fire! In your face doubters!

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
And to Wiggins biggest fanboy. Nobody is lying. Except you. Said you wouldn't reply to me and yet here you are getting all upset again and weirdly trying to hide whom your posts are directed to. Run off to a mod for a cry again?

I'm guessing in between the frothing you are referring to me, but sorry to burst your bubble my post was directed at Hoggo, I hadn't even noticed your posting in this thread.

Galic Ho said:

It was Schumacher's break that Cancellara ate up for 10 minutes.
The dopers you name are all allegedly climbers, unlike Fabian.
Didn't figure you for a defender of Riis's riders.
Cancellara fanboy???

No idea what Sky had to do with anything back in 2008.
They sure had zero to do with my post.

Not so much on fire as blowing a bit of smoke.

Mellow Velo said:
It was Schumacher's break that Cancellara ate up for 10 minutes.
The dopers you name are all allegedly climbers, unlike Fabian.
Didn't figure you for a defender of Riis's riders.
Cancellara fanboy???

No idea what Sky had to do with anything back in 2008.
They sure had zero to do with my post.

Not so much on fire as blowing a bit of smoke.

The day Cancellera rides one handed up a HC climb whilst turning around gesturing to the yellow jersey then we’ll be scared :rolleyes:

Until then I think it’s you who’s might be blowing smoke.

I mean it’s not like a Flanders winner can’t climb! Like Froome-dawg zig-zagging in the 2009 Giro! LOL! :rolleyes:

Froome-dawg did the drugged up double. Not only became a climber of Spanish quality but a TT’er like Fabs! All whilst weighing 53kg! :rolleyes:

That’s some serious gear going on there :rolleyes:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:

see stage 1, and Van de Veldes dig in the last 5 kms. Or first intermediate mountain stage, think Kirchen won that before his aneurism.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ebandit said:

AAA one of the posts, if not, post of the year. GOAT

TRENDING THREADS