• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Snooker

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 14, 2010
Visit site
I admire Ding and his play a great deal, and he really has a compelling story. On the other hand, McManus is a lifelong monk of snooker, and I admire his style and grit. Hard to know who to root for. Guess I'll root for both.

I just heard Ding's coach is the father of Fu's coach, which would make it doubly interesting if those two end up in the final.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Squire said:
Actually, the only Canadian world champion, Cliff Thorburn, failed a drugs test in 1988 and was subsequently banned from two ranking tournaments.

I'll be rooting for Ding for the title this year. He's the most exciting player left in the tournament now that my big favourite the Rocket is out (cracking match the one he lost vs Hawkins). Selby is mightily impressive, but his style is a little bit uninspiring to watch.

What's your take on McManus?

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading more about the life and career of McManus. That he is where he is right now is pretty remarkable. I'm rooting for Angles, I think.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Re:

jsem94 said:
It would be a sensational story, but Ding is looking really good to win this tournament now. I don't see him dropping enough frames with a 14-10 lead to being denied playing in the final.

Yeah, plus I think maybe McManus lacks deep self-belief. There was something about him that bothered me but I couldn't put my finger on it. Turns out he didn't even book a hotel room or bring a change of underwear, because he didn't expect to get this far.

And from watching him play yesterday, it's obvious he has all the skills, and then some. So it appears self-belief - sustaining it, that is - might be his Achilles heel. And I'm pretty sure you can't get to the final match without sustaining self-belief.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Fu, on the other hand, is killing it. He's pulled dead even with Selby at 10-10, and is threatening right now to pull one ahead. He's met Ding twice before and lost both times, so it will be interesting to see what happens this time, if Fu and Ding go head to head.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Well, that was one of the most intense things I've ever seen. Real sport. If cycling were this exciting it would surely be one of the world's biggest sports.

I started out not caring for Selby at all. But by the time it was over I was standing in admiration of him. What a competitor. He's at a level of focus and combativeness and technique unmatched by anyone else in this tournament.

Fu gave him the best tune-up for the final Selby could have hoped for, one that truly challenged him; in meeting the challenge, Selby was strengthened by it.

If Ding maintains the level he was at against McManus, he will give Selby a run for his money. But in the end he will collapse under the game Selby brings.

snccdcno

BANNED
Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Re:

god.child said:
snccdcno said:
No more fitting way to end that match than with a frame of nearly 70 minutes.

Agreed.

Selby is a killer in these situation. Will be a long final.

Yeah he's just so good at hanging in there when he's not playing near his best and then upping his game and winning matches, some of his potting, safety and decision making in the last frame or two was very good.

Maxiton said:
Well, that was one of the most intense things I've ever seen. Real sport. If cycling were this exciting it would surely be one of the world's biggest sports.

I started out not caring for Selby at all. But by the time it was over I was standing in admiration of him. What a competitor. He's at a level of focus and combativeness and technique unmatched by anyone else in this tournament.

Fu gave him the best tune-up for the final Selby could have hoped for, one that truly challenged him; in meeting the challenge, Selby was strengthened by it.

If Ding maintains the level he was at against McManus, he will give Selby a run for his money. But in the end he will collapse under the game Selby brings.

Nice post.

Selby is such a good all round player, commentators called him one of the best safety players of all time earlier today and from what I've seen it's hard to disagree, he's also made the 5th most century breaks in history (Ding is 6th) and when playing at his best is as good a break builder as almost anyone, although I'd say his safety is more solid when he's a bit off his top game.

I hope Ding doesn't suffer too much from pressure, he's been known to at times in the past and apparently half a billion people watched his last match in China and a load of media have come over recently but he seems to be coping better this year so lets hope it continues.

Personally I am edging towards wanting Selby to win as I frequented the same Leicester snooker halls as him albeit a year or two later when I used to live there a while back but would be happy with a Ding win and just hope we get a good quality close final.

Selby's one of my favourite players. Not because of his game, but because of personality. Fantastic character.
And his game is a mystery to me. He's not amongst game's finest potters (O'Sullivan, Robertson, Trump...), his safety isn't Ebdon-like, too, but his shot choice seems to be the key of his success. And when he misses - the opponent rarely has a clear cut chance.
Grinding style that characterizes him isn't the most likeable, but it's difficult to oppose... It isn't easy to play under constant pressure for sessions.

May 14, 2010
Visit site

snccdcno said:
Selby is such a good all round player, commentators called him one of the best safety players of all time earlier today and from what I've seen it's hard to disagree, he's also made the 5th most century breaks in history (Ding is 6th) and when playing at his best is as good a break builder as almost anyone, although I'd say his safety is more solid when he's a bit off his top game.

I hope Ding doesn't suffer too much from pressure, he's been known to at times in the past and apparently half a billion people watched his last match in China and a load of media have come over recently but he seems to be coping better this year so lets hope it continues.

Personally I am edging towards wanting Selby to win as I frequented the same Leicester snooker halls as him albeit a year or two later when I used to live there a while back but would be happy with a Ding win and just hope we get a good quality close final.

I'm rooting for Ding, mostly because he's the underdog, and hasn't yet won it. And I can't imagine the added pressure of representing all of China, and meeting the country's expectations. I'm ready to fold just thinking about it. I hear his coach has done him a lot of good, in terms of getting his mind right. Hopefully his match with McManus was enough to sharpen him up. On the other hand, though, I wouldn't mind if Selby won it. I mean, how could we complain either way?

If both Ding and Selby play like they've been playing, it should be intense.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
In looking at the Ding-Selby matchup, I thought it might be helpful to see their respective career finals in ranking tournaments. First, Selby:

2bf30f42-eba2-4637-801f-3bc527edc591.png

Next, Ding:

f81ed5f2-892a-4018-a993-d4c4699c5295.png

In ranking events, Selby has six wins, and was runner-up eight times. Ding has won eleven ranking events and come runner-up three times.

Ding's pro career began with the 2003-2004 season, whereas Selby's began in 1999-2000. So, not only does Ding have considerably better results, he has them in a career that is four seasons shorter.

Here are their rankings and timelines.

Mark Selby:

3bf243ce-6287-463c-bc0b-40667b1c1179.png

Ding Jinhui:

6ad1e104-450d-4ca4-a0cb-ae9eb6fb486f.png

In the 2013-2014 season, Ding won four ranking events and was runner-up in one. I don't really know that much about snooker, but comparing that with the results of other players it seems like a pretty extraordinary season.

In the last two seasons it seems he has not done quite as well as Selby, but this could be for any number of reasons. Selby is currently ranked number one for the fourth year in a row. Ding is ranked number four, down from number two last year.

Just going by the record, then, ranking not withstanding, it looks as though Ding comes into this matchup with a considerable advantage. On the other hand, Selby has won the World Championships once before and been runner-up once, so he knows how it feels to experience both which should be an aid in modulating his feelings. Ding is in unknown territory, which should make for more pressure and more nerves.

Thoughts?

Selby and Ding met in a ranking event once before, the Welsh Open in 2012, which Ding won 9-6.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sir fly said:
Ding already achieved enough by being the first Asian player in the finals. Step by step, please.

I could go for either one, really, I'm just wondering what snooker fans on the board are thinking about Selby's and Ding's respective records and capabilities.

Maxiton said:
sir fly said:
Ding already achieved enough by being the first Asian player in the finals. Step by step, please.

I could go for either one, really, I'm just wondering what snooker fans on the board are thinking about Selby's and Ding's respective records and capabilities.
For me, Selby's in advantage.

Even more so watching Ding looking like he's still impressed by the occasion.
He really needs to realize he's in the final. It's not a wish or imagination any more... It's really happening.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Ding needs to pull himself together. Right now it's Selby 2-0, about to be 3-0. Ding is about to find himself where McManus was in the first session against Ding: down 5-0. A bad place to be.