• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Snooker

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Maxiton said:
sir fly said:
You know, Taylor and Davis were the first commentating couple of this final, and it's starting to look like their famous final.
We'll see when will Ding get his first frame and how he'll celebrate it.

Snooker World Championship 1985 Davis vs. Taylor, final frame
Yes, that's the one.
But Dennis had a small celebration after putting his first frame on the board, as well.
Ding's thinking way ahead of his shots. Missed blue was just another example.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Thought Ding was going to cry when he potted the blue in that last frame. Selby has a good head game, too. Instead of trying to snooker him when Ding then missed the pink, he was "magnanimous" and ceded the frame (rather than risk actually contending for the snookers he needed and maybe losing anyway).

May 14, 2010
Visit site
In a way, this eighth frame is sort of the deciding one of the match. If Ding wins it he's still in with a good chance. If he loses he's screwed almost for sure.

Re:

Maxiton said:
Thought Ding was going to cry when he potted the blue in that last frame. Selby has a good head game, too. Instead of trying to snooker him when Ding then missed the pink, he was "magnanimous" and ceded the frame (rather than risk actually contending for the snookers he needed and maybe losing anyway).
Yes, I was wondering if Selby will return at the table. Normally he'd do that, but this time he chose to concede. It's a gent's gesture at the surface, but there's certainly a mind game hidden underneath.

May 14, 2010
Visit site

sir fly said:
Maxiton said:
Yes, I was wondering if Selby will return at the table. Normally he'd do that, but this time he chose to concede. It's a gent's gesture at the surface, but there's certainly a mind game hidden underneath.

And Selby's taps on the table are pretty patronizing, too, almost like he's encouraging the efforts of a junior.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Re:

jsem94 said:
The Jester from Leicester winning the WC and Leicester City winning the BPL within the same week. Would be sick. But I'm still rooting for Ding. I can intellectually appreciate Selby's style, but I just don't enjoy watching it.

I run hot and cold on him. On the one hand I admire his combativeness and focus, but on the other he reminds me of an overly-aggressive, overbearing guy I used to work with. Not his fault, I suppose. :p

Edit: One thing I noticed about him last night, though, is a kind of brooding quality, which indicates to me that he has some depth. I saw it again just now after he lost that last frame.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sir fly said:
Ding looking better now.
But Selby is the best back runner (if it comes to that), and Ding has shown huge mental fragility, so the fear of success is inevitable having seen how he's started the match.

Not sure I follow. What do you mean by "the fear of success is inevitable having seen how he's started the match"?

Maxiton said:
sir fly said:
Ding looking better now.
But Selby is the best back runner (if it comes to that), and Ding has shown huge mental fragility, so the fear of success is inevitable having seen how he's started the match.

Not sure I follow. What do you mean by "the fear of success is inevitable having seen how he's started the match"?
If Ding comes close to winning the whole thing, he'll certainly get nervous, start making mistakes, just like he did at the beginning of the match, and just like we've seen with many players - the fear of success. It happens when their estimate of the prize is higher than their self esteem.
The significance of the title is affecting Ding enormously.

May 14, 2010
Visit site

sir fly said:
Maxiton said:
sir fly said:
Ding looking better now.

If Ding comes close to winning the whole thing, he'll certainly get nervous, start making mistakes, just like he did at the beginning of the match, and just like we've seen with many players - the fear of success. It happens when their estimate of the prize is higher than their self esteem.

Now I understand. Yeah, you're probably right. I guess it's up to each competitor to solve that conundrum if they face it, and win, or not solve it and lose.

Maxiton said:
sir fly said:
Maxiton said:
sir fly said:
Ding looking better now.

Now I understand. Yeah, you're probably right. I guess it's up to each competitor to solve that conundrum if they face it, and win, or not solve it and lose.
One fact playing into Ding's hands is the match is so long allowing him to get accustomed. The way he's spending the time between the sessions is vital for his mindset.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Ding is done. Selby has got to be like 90% to win from here.

Tempting to think that, but it might be overstating it. We saw what Ding is capable of in the first session against McManus, when he ran five straight frames in succession with McManus barely up off his chair. Not to mention seven centuries in the match.

A few mistakes from Selby, a kick or two, and Ding coming into form - things could turn around yet. He's only three frames back.

Ding had a chance to come to just one behind before the final session, but just wasn't collected enough.
I'll try to look optimistically at the coming session and say that Ding needs less frames to catch Selby than Selby needs to win the title.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sir fly said:
Ding had a chance to come to just one behind before the final session, but just wasn't collected enough.
I'll try to look optimistically at the coming session and say that Ding needs less frames to catch Selby than Selby needs to win the title.

That is a good way to look at it. I have to admit, though, unless something changes Ding's prospects aren't good. By my reckoning he's had several lucky opportunities in every frame he's lost, and failed to capitalize. And the score reflects it. The final outcome will likely reflect it, too.

TRENDING THREADS