• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

So in what year was there a clean tour winner?

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have to ask this question. Can there be a clean tour de france winner in the eyes of the clinic, if so what year?

I don't blame the clinic...this sport is ripe with PEDS and substance abuse dating back to the days of Merckx. But just like any other sport probably...only difference is in the sport of cycling, testing is more consistent and thorough. That's why cycling probably has a bad name, and all these other sports don't really have as bad a reputation for cheats.

There is suspicion behind pretty much all the legends of tour: Merckx, Lemond, Contador, Armstrong, and now even Wiggins...

Who is clean in cycling? Don't tell me it's the guy 6 hours behind in the overrall. The only clean rider I think I know for certain right now is Menchov and maybe Cadel.

SilentAssassin said:
I have to ask this question. Can there be a clean tour de france winner in the eyes of the clinic, if so what year?

I don't blame the clinic...this sport is ripe with PEDS and substance abuse dating back to the days of Merckx. But just like any other sport probably...only difference is in the sport of cycling, testing is more consistent and thorough. That's why cycling probably has a bad name, and all these other sports don't really have as bad a reputation for cheats.

There is suspicion behind pretty much all the legends of tour: Merckx, Lemond, Contador, Armstrong, and now even Wiggins...

Who is clean in cycling? Don't tell me it's the guy 6 hours behind in the overrall. The only clean rider I think I know for certain right now is Menchov and maybe Cadel.

Cadel? lol
Menchov? LMAO

SilentAssassin said:

Menchov and Cadel were both clients of the infamous Dr Ferrari. Menchov was also a part of the infamous Rabobank team which flew up the mountains in 2007. Rabo admitted it's riders doped and there is no reason to believe Menchov was a clean rider. Furthermore in the infamous list of Blood Values of 2009 Tour participants leaked by the press Menchov had a pretty high value, 10 if my memory serves me right which indicates almost near certainty of doping.

The last clean rider to win the tour may well be Hinault, or even Lemond. I'm not sure of any doping allegations against Lemond. He raced in the Pre-EPO era.

The Chicken said:
Again, you have got to be kidding me.

Moncoutie is generally considered to be clean by all. What does the Clinic make of Moncoutie??

Yep. Moncoutie is generally considered to be clean. It is said he gave up competing for GC coz he knew he couldn't compete with the dopers and win. That's why he concentrated on winning KOM classifications.
A rider ruined by the doping generation.

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
the asian said:
He should be. He was a devout catholic and the Character of the man seems to be a anti doper. Coppi certainly doped. He has even admitted it.

Yes, the fact that Bartali suspected Coppi so strongly and wanted to find evidence of him doping makes me think Gino was actually clean.

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Avoriaz said:
Not finished it yet, but in the book "Road to Valour" it mentions that Bartali would break into rivals' rooms to see what supplements they had. Doesn't say he took him though he used to get his team mates to try them

This brings along an interesting question. We know that in the old days, many things that would be considered restricted/illegal drugs nowadays, like cocaine and amphetamine, could be bought as "tonics" or medicine in pharmacies. How would you define doping then? What were the actual rules around WW2?

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Well I am going for Gastone Nencini in 1960, for no other reason than because he does not seem to get much credit for his win, given that the winner before was Bahamontes and after was Anquetil.

If he was not clean then I am going for 2 time winner in 1907/08 Lucien Petit-Breton. A fun little guy who could have made it big in the theatre if he had not have had an overwhelming passion for riding his bike...

the asian said:
He should be. He was a devout catholic and the Character of the man seems to be a anti doper. Coppi certainly doped. He has even admitted it.

Hmmm yes, but this doesn't proof anything. Wether he doped or not that is.
I mean there are lots of devout chatolics that like to abuse children for example.
Unfortunately nothing is sure, but I do agree that I like to believe Bartali was clean.

the asian said:
Menchov and Cadel were both clients of the infamous Dr Ferrari. Menchov was also a part of the infamous Rabobank team which flew up the mountains in 2007. Rabo admitted it's riders doped and there is no reason to believe Menchov was a clean rider. Furthermore in the infamous list of Blood Values of 2009 Tour participants leaked by the press Menchov had a pretty high value, 10 if my memory serves me right which indicates almost near certainty of doping.

The last clean rider to win the tour may well be Hinault, or even Lemond. I'm not sure of any doping allegations against Lemond. He raced in the Pre-EPO era.

Could you provide some links please?

Kwibus said:
Hmmm yes, but this doesn't proof anything. Wether he doped or not that is.
I mean there are lots of devout chatolics that like to abuse children for example.
Unfortunately nothing is sure, but I do agree that I like to believe Bartali was clean.
I don't think it would matter one iota whether Bartali doped or not; his heroics make any potential sporting fraud pale into insignificance.

TRENDING THREADS