• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sprinting

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I've been off the road for a while now but go spinning 2-3 time a week. When I'm on the bars, in the same position as being on the hoods I find it really hard to get the same sprint speed out of my legs that I can if I sit up with hands off the bars.

Is this normal, due to the way our bodies are made... or the way my body is made! ie: available hip movement?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Dexter said:
I've been off the road for a while now but go spinning 2-3 time a week. When I'm on the bars, in the same position as being on the hoods I find it really hard to get the same sprint speed out of my legs that I can if I sit up with hands off the bars.

Is this normal, due to the way our bodies are made... or the way my body is made! ie: available hip movement?

Spinning? Define, please.

There will usually be an optimal position for each person to produce the maximum amount of power. However that being said we adapt to what we do, so if 99% of your riding is on the hoods then you will probably find that you produce more power in a sprint this way.

If you continue to ride more in the lower positions then you probably get better in that position. Try doing it in "slow motion" and observe what you are doing with your hips, legs and arms. Then try doing it faster. If you can't do it slow, then you can't do it fast.