• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 16: Pinzolo – Aprica 177 kms:Where legends are made

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Bushman said:
Sasquatch said:
staubsauger said:
ILovecycling said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
So sad Kruijswijk did not win. Man of the stage.
True, what a ride! I hope he has enough power to finish it. :)
With this climbing shape he should "easily" win the mountains jersey on Finestre! Even if he's losing it on the way to Cervina.

The upcoming mountains stages normally favor a climber who could stay with the big guns over an escapee like Intxausti.

Kruijswijk might as well go in the offense on Finestre, tough. Contador won't chase him and Astana may be happy with the current standings as well.

The difference between these stages is that Finestre doesn't have climbs before it so the break will get a handy margin because Astana won't drill it and Saxo won't be riding a high tempo so Contador can keep his troops fresh for the climb. Therefore the break could have 10 minutes at the base of the climb. I don't think Kruijswijk cares about the jersey. He cares more about finishing high up. So unless his team drills it on that stage and keeps the break within a couple of minutes, he's going to find it hard to reel in Intxausti or Betancur whom will both be in the break and everyone will want a rider up the road on that stage so the break could feature 20 odd riders.

Since the stage is dead flat, his team should actually be able to keep the break in check fairly well. Maybe they could set up a deal with Tinkoff-Saxo: Lotto-Jumbo to lead the peloton on the flat and keep the break in check and Tinkoff-Saxo to take over once they reach Finestre.

This! Jumbo should be able to control the break until Finestre. Once they hit the gravel section, the main-field should be thinned enough for Kruijswijk to make his move. With todays shape neither Amador or Trofimov should be able to challenge!

Re:

sunnyIce said:
Kinda classless by Landa as expected. He basically wheelsucked from about 35 Kms out and not pulling even once. In fact the 2'51" he has on Aru is all due to the efforts of Kruisj and AC.

Kudos to Kruis on a great ride, and AC for a beast of a performance on the Mortirolo. After being left behind by Astana at the descent of the Tinolo when he had a mechanical.

Lol, what was he supposed to do? Pull to put more distance to his (still at that point) leader?

Actually I'm somehow proud of the angel!

I wanted Aru to go into a mortal combat until either he or Contador is hors de combat.
He did! Good! He failed. Bad. But he showed that he aims to win races instead of sealing a 2nd place. Excellent! I missed that behavior in recent years and there it is again!

He showed he's vulnerable, but fearless. Sometimes it's still a little win to show courage in a moment of weakness! Aru will be back for the Vuelta for sure. His shape will be better there!

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

lejarreta said:
Miburo said:
Stop saying landa was the strongest in this giro. He lost more than 4 min in the ITT.

And he wheelsucked a contador who was 50 sec behind on mortirolo in this stage.

Up Montirolo Landa was pulling Aru and all the rest up front, and he could have done more but Aru was not at his finest. It was a cronoescalada Landa vs Contador. He did wheelsucking AFTER Aru let him go, cause Contador already left them behind.

It seems you have only watched the stage highlights.

Ok he was pulling aru but it's a fact contador had to ride mortirolo 50 sec behind them and closed the gap.

Fact that landa didn't do anything in the last 40 km.

Miburo said:
lejarreta said:
Miburo said:
Stop saying landa was the strongest in this giro. He lost more than 4 min in the ITT.

Up Montirolo Landa was pulling Aru and all the rest up front, and he could have done more but Aru was not at his finest. It was a cronoescalada Landa vs Contador. He did wheelsucking AFTER Aru let him go, cause Contador already left them behind.

Ok he was pulling aru but it's a fact contador had to ride mortirolo 50 sec behind them and closed the gap.

Fact that Landa lost 4:00 minutes in the ITT.

Red Rick said:
Eshnar said:
Just got back home. From what I could actually watch:
- Best stage evah (well, not really, but very good)
- Martinelli is an idiot (no news)
- Landa stronger than AC? Duh. He only had to pull 5 kms on the Mortirolo, And at Aru's pace. And then wheelsucked all the way. We have no clue who was the strongest today. but frankly, WHO THE HELL CARES
- over 1200 posts and only because the forum bonked before the Mortirolo. We could have reached Gardeccia levels :(
- I thought Aru was gonna lose 5 minutes.

Weren't Alpe d'Huez and Galibier '11 much even crazier in terms of posts (not to mention the last suisse tt that year, but that was just outrage)

forum crashed before Mortirolo?

Suisse 2011.... outrage cause Leipheimer won the GC I imagine

Miburo said:
lejarreta said:
Miburo said:

I don't really get all the defense that is pulled in to make everyone aware that Bertie was the best at the end. I did watch the whole race from 10km before Mortirolo and what I see happened was:

- Bertie mechanical - Katusha and Astana attacked (not fair, but reality)
- Bertie was reported to be max 50 sec behind, the highest gap I saw in Eurosport was 48 sec
- After mere 500m on the climb, Landa was already pulling Kruijswijk and Aru, just 3 of them left, Landa doing all the work
- Bertie came back to Landa/Aru in a range of 6km climbed, so he did 6km ~50 sec quicker than Aru (which pace Landa was forced to ride)
- Landa and Bertie took on Kruijswijk in about 500m later and the trio was formed

Now - for the remaining 40km odd before the attack, Landa indeed wheelsucked. But to be completely fair, I saw Bertie doing the pull for maybe around 1km total during that 40km. Maybe all the Bertie fans here thinks that riding in 2nd place in 3 mans trio is not wheelsucking, but hey, be fair if you blame Landa for wheelsucking, Contador was not doing like a whole lot either. Kruijswijk did 95% of the work once the trio was formed.

I agree that Mortiloro pullback probably took lot of energy from Bertie, but reality is that he did 6km ~50 odd sec. faster than Landa and then did lose 38 sec. in last 4km. That is the fact for this stage. I know you will say that he didn't have to respond and he had what it would've took to respond and he was just controlling the race. It might well be true, but hey, I guess we will never know.

bambino said:
Miburo said:
lejarreta said:
Miburo said:

I don't really get all the defense that is pulled in to make everyone aware that Bertie was the best at the end. I did watch the whole race from 10km before Mortirolo and what I see happened was:

- Bertie was reported to be max 50 sec behind, the highest gap I saw in Eurosport was 48 sec
- After mere 500m on the climb, Landa was already pulling Kruijswijk and Aru, just 3 of them left, Landa doing all the work
- Bertie came back to Landa/Aru in a range of 6km climbed, so he did 6km ~50 sec quicker than Aru (which pace Landa was forced to ride)
- Landa and Bertie took on Kruijswijk in about 500m later and the trio was formed

Now - for the remaining 40km odd before the attack, Landa indeed wheelsucked. But to be completely fair, I saw Bertie doing the pull for maybe around 1km total during that 40km. Maybe all the Bertie fans here thinks that riding in 2nd place in 3 mans trio is not wheelsucking, but hey, be fair if you blame Landa for wheelsucking, Contador was not doing like a whole lot either. Kruijswijk did 95% of the work once the trio was formed.

I agree that Mortiloro pullback probably took lot of energy from Bertie, but reality is that he did 6km ~50 odd sec. faster than Landa and then did lose 38 sec. in last 4km. That is the fact for this stage. I know you will say that he didn't have to respond and he had what it would've took to respond and he was just controlling the race. It might well be true, but hey, I guess we will never know.

And yes - I think Alberto's come back was phenomenal - no doubt about it. But was it historical given the pace that Aru had today... not sure.

irondan said:
TommyGun said:
sunnyIce said:
ay ay ay ... cringe worthy.

“It was a really beautiful day for me, maybe even more than the last one,” Landa said. “We saw that Contador had a problem and Katusha rode the group full gas and we collaborated with them.

Jeez, this guy has no soul!
Respect for the leaders jersey is gone forever, never mind that Contador did the same thing to Schleck. This is now the status quo.

For the umpteenth time, Schleck was on the attack, off the front when he threw his chain. When his rivals responded to his attack were they to suddenly slow their roll because Andy likely tried using his front derailleur on a mountain incline? He attacked, they responded, he muffed his shift. He had to pay the cost for screwing up.

bambino said:
Miburo said:
lejarreta said:
Miburo said:

You forgot the 10km chase back that limited the deficit to 50". He used a lot just Getting there.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Re: Stage 16: Pinzolo – Aprica 177 kms:Where legends are mad

Anderis said:
Hesjedal went into the breakaway in order not to be caught at the wrong side of a split before Mortirolo and he was successfull in that. :D

'lol'
Yup,great ride and great tactics shown there,but I have to admit that I am starting to like Ryder,he Always try...:)

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
Actually I'm somehow proud of the angel!

I wanted Aru to go into a mortal combat until either he or Contador is hors de combat.
He did! Good! He failed. Bad. But he showed that he aims to win races instead of sealing a 2nd place. Excellent! I missed that behavior in recent years and there it is again!

He showed he's vulnerable, but fearless. Sometimes it's still a little win to show courage in a moment of weakness! Aru will be back for the Vuelta for sure. His shape will be better there!

Yeah, but he might not be the leader there ;)

Carols said:
bambino said:
Miburo said:
lejarreta said:
Miburo said:

You forgot the 10km chase back that limited the deficit to 50". He used a lot just Getting there.

True - but he had train doing that. We've seen that kind of deficit been pulled back by teams over and over again in the history.

TRENDING THREADS