• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 16: Ponte Di Legno-Val Martello/Martelltal (139 km)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Eshnar said:
It's not funny, you know. Put that stage on the dolomites, same profile, and in the last week, and people would be screaming of the best design ever.

The **** do I care what you think other people would say? :confused:

I said proper Giro Mountian stage.

That means minimum 3 HC climbs/ 4 catergory 1 climbs.
Minimum 1 of which goes above 2000m.
Minimum 80km from the finish that first mountain begins.

You showed me some flat stage with 2 backloaded climbs that would barely break the 2000m barrier if they were placed one on top of the other.

And yes it would be better in the last week if it was done when everyone was tired after climbing other mountains, and has to go for it, and not at the end of the first week where they just watch eachother.

weather forecast is **** for gavia
1233624_10152224904218208_3080866352646527050_n.jpg

so i expect cancel

Eshnar said:
Yeah Mortirolo at 190 kms to go. Seems legit.

Why not?

Make the stage 250k if neccesary. Mortirolo, Tonale, Castrin before Martelo. Even with all the flat, at least it forces the breakaway riders to be climbers. peloton will have to spend some energy controlling it.

Point is to have a hard stage on this Giro.

Martelo as a lone MTF. pff. Its what we saw last 2 days already. yeah it was fun last few days, but this race needs something more than just Vuelta finishes in colder weather.

The Hitch said:
Why not?

Make the stage 250k if neccesary. Mortirolo, Tonale, Castrin before Martelo. Even with all the flat, at least it forces the breakaway riders to be climbers. peloton will have to spend some energy controlling it.

Point is to have a hard stage on this Giro.

Martelo as a lone MTF. pff. Its what we saw last 2 days already. yeah it was fun last few days, but this race needs something more than just Vuelta finishes in colder weather.
From Castrin to Martello there are like 40 kms of valley. The breakaway would have to feature a dozen of Cancellaras for it to be any dangerous.

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Shame Andy is not here to atack on Stelvio and win...:p Quintana will finally win tomorrow showing that he was born to ride in this kind of conditions. Aru won't probably be that strong again but I would like him to respond Quintana and try to give Nairito some emotions.

Andrew Hood ‏@EuroHoody 4m
Conflicting reports on conditions - snowing but road appears to be in great shape - might not know until tomorrow AM - roads OK to race now

Andrew Hood ‏@EuroHoody 3m
Sky DS Cioni ride to top of Gavia - said it was snowing, road wet but passable - impossible to call until AM

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
If the stage is cut goes to any sort of plan B, Uran and OPQS will be extremely happy.
They are the only team in top-5 GC without a proper group of climbers around the GC leader.

Pozzovivo will be super-****ed off if Sunday was his bad day.

Eshnar said:
Now it's sunny on the course. Chances increasing.

Tbh, I hope they do the stage so the riders will take the blame when they'll softpedal Gavia and Stelvio complaining about the cold/altitude/hairpins/asphalt...

After which they will retweet that silly picture of Malori vs Neymar after the stage again.

murali said:
If the stage is cut goes to any sort of plan B, Uran and OPQS will be extremely happy.
They are the only team in top-5 GC without a proper group of climbers around the GC leader.

Pozzovivo will be super-****ed off if Sunday was his bad day.
Brambilla and Poels for Uran? That's not that bad for Uran.

So at the moment press conference?

Rajna31 said:
Wellens and Monsalve to accompany Arredondo in the break, hunting for mountain points.

I would agree with this. Curious why Arredondo wasn't in the break on the Oropa stage with those two.

Hoping Roche will be in the break again too, but this time all in for a Majka bridge rather than a futile attempt at a stage win.

Anyone know what condition Rubiano is in after his crash on that descent whilst fiddling with his gilet? Surely he has to get in at least one break at some point this Giro?

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Popchu said:
Brambilla and Poels for Uran? That's not that bad for Uran.

So at the moment press conference?

if stage 14/15 was any sign, then pauwels/poels/brambilla are not enough to keep uran in the front. I like OPQS, but this team is not enough. If there was not many crashes, then uran would have lost pink by now.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Orbit501 said:
I would agree with this. Curious why Arredondo wasn't in the break on the Oropa stage with those two.

Hoping Roche will be in the break again too, but this time all in for a Majka bridge rather than a futile attempt at a stage win.

Anyone know what condition Rubiano is in after his crash on that descent whilst fiddling with his gilet? Surely he has to get in at least one break at some point this Giro?

i think tinkof shud stop meddling with breaks and carry full force with majka. without CAS, they are one power-house short,