• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 16: Ponte Di Legno-Val Martello/Martelltal (139 km)

Page 76 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dazed and Confused said:
To hell with the controversy, great win by Quintana on a dramatic stage.

Oh man pull Uran off the podium ffs and install Rolland and Hesjedal on the final two steps. Or so I wish.

Now looking forward to the MTT. No games or wheelsucking.

I totally agree with you. Perhaps Uran being my compatriot, I shouldn't wish him to step off the podium, but today he raced cowardly.

Rolland & specially Hesjedal deserve honours after that unreal ride..

hrotha said:
Well yeah, but he didn't put 2 minutes on them either, which was what I was replying to.

It was 2.15ish to the MR when I switched on my TV at 10 to go. I mean sure, the cooperation behind was understandably awful, but Quintana did gain time all the way up.

Reading the posts here, it would seem that he did indeed gain about 2 minutes from the start of the climb.

And probably kept gaining all the way with a little help from Hesjedal.

roundabout said:
It was 2.15ish to the MR when I switched on my TV at 10 to go. I mean sure, the cooperation behind was understandably awful, but Quintana did gain time all the way up.

Reading the posts here, it would seem that he did indeed gain about 2 minutes from the start of the climb.

More or less, I'd say Kelderman attacking was the first time the tide turned.

roundabout said:

Not to belittle what he did but it was Quintana vs Rogers for most of the climb. One of those situations where the other GC contenders would still be contenders if they'd worked together instead of relying on one team's domestique

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Well yeah, but he didn't put 2 minutes on them either, which was what I was replying to.

The gap at the beginning of the climb was around 1:40-1:50, so the time Quintana has put on the chasing group is above 1:30.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
trevim said:
He knew what he signed up for when he signed for a WT team. Still, he may get some chances at Burgos or something like that.

Exactly lol

He got a massive increase in wage to be a domestique, to make his future after cycling stable.

Some here just don't get that.

Plenty of DS now complaining at Processo.
Amadio saying the first communication from Race Radio said there would be motos with a red flag in front of the riders (but which riders? there were several groups).
Guercilena saying they had a communication of neutralization before hitting the downhill and then started hearing Quintana had a gap and they were like WTF : confused:

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Ruby United said:
Despite today's excitement, I'm a bit annoyed.

Yesterday 5 or 6 riders were racing for victory, now only 1, this means the rest of what should've been a tense week and a showdown between them is going to become a fight for 3rd (and 2nd)

It's true that the fight for pink seems settled, but Quintana's formidable performance has defined this Giro for me. To me he's the only one deserving victory, he who has the guts, smarts and above all talent and legs to pull this off.

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Apeman said:
Number 9 Hesjedal is just 55 seconds away from the podium now.

Gonna be quite a battle for even third place with all of the riders making a chance!

he's looking very good. riding into the form he had the year he won it

hrotha said:
We've been over this. Twitter, even the race's official account, is meaningless.

Says who? There is nothing in the rule book that says that radio is uniquely authoritative. Communication that is verifiably from the race organisers should be responded to appropriately by all, and the race organisers should be willing to abide by it, even if it was not their intention to release it.

If they had announced a retraction immediately, and repeatedly, after their error, that could have been accepted, but this is entirely unjustifiable, and the race organisers have lost all moral authority.