• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 19, Avellino - Vesuvio, 164km

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Phew.

Great race, they all left it out on the road.Great stuff, Menchov seemed almost overly nervous, the team's plan was to stick on DLD's wheel so well played to him.

Sastre was just awesome.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Never seen such wheel sucking ever before--even if it's to win.

This make Leipheimer and Evans look like Spanish bullfighters, the tip of the spear.

did they ever win a stage beside a TT? (and not including the ToC)

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
No one should ever criticize Levi or Evans after this. No one. Not fair.

Agreed if we criticize them and not menchov that's not fair to them, I remember a lot of you saying that you don't like levi for wheel sucking then now you commend Menchov, make up ur mind. As for today great stage Di Luca didn't have it today.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Has he pulled the whole race even once, other than TT and de Siusi (which hardly counts)?

I know who's gonna take his cake: A. Schleck and Contador.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:

Well why would you get bonus seconds in a regular stage, where you finish in the top three and (just) before someone else. If your specialty is TT, then you are kinda disadvantaged, because you do arrive somewhere faster then someone else, but you did not get the same bonus. :D

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I can't believe you are criticising Menchov for trying to win the Giro. You can choose not to like it, but you can't really blame him for doing excactly what he needs to do, nothing more nothing less. As pointed out before, you don't get points for riding beatifully, this isn't ski jumping.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Has he pulled the whole race even once, other than TT and de Siusi (which hardly counts)?

I know who's gonna take his cake: A. Schleck and Contador.

Addition: even Armstrong has shown his nose at the front this race, and pulling at the front numerous times this race, trying to create opportunities, whatever.

Bala Verde said:
Well why would you get bonus seconds in a regular stage, where you finish in the top three and (just) before someone else. If your specialty is TT, then you are kinda disadvantaged, because you do arrive somewhere faster then someone else, but you did not get the same bonus. :D

I agree.

Equal rights for testers!

Bala Verde said:

Oh I see.

I'd like to see a GT without any TTs, just to see what happens.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Evans attacks a lot now. Including vs. Menchov in the Dauphine.

Well he attacks because he is always behind, so he kinda has to. If Menchov would have been behind di Luca, I don't think the race played out the same.

It's strategy, but I doubt it's strategy to let evans ride behind someone, when he is in second place...

on top of that, Breukink has always been of the 'conservative' Indurain school. Win TTs and limit losses in the Mountains

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:

If your specialty is TT, then you have a huge advantage in that other riders cannot use their teams or draft you. That's why time gaps are larger in TT and why there are no bonus seconds needed to reward good performances.

Man, Sastre looks zonked on the podium. Great effort!

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Well he attacks because he is always behind, so he kinda has to. If Menchov would have been behind di Luca, I don't think the race played out the same.

It's strategy, but I doubt it's strategy to let evans ride behind someone, when he is in second place...

on top of that, Breuking has always been of the 'conservative' Indurain school. Win TTs and limit losses in the Mountains

And that's why I didn't like to watche the indurian era Gt's

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Addition: even Armstrong has shown his nose at the front this race, and pulling at the front numerous times this race, trying to create opportunities, whatever.

Well that's for exposure, as well as to save their minimal results in a giro. No stage win, and far from a podium which such a team. After 2 weeks, seeing that all ambitions are shattered, you see lots of teams trying to get that one win just to salvage what's left of their prior goals.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Never seen such wheel sucking ever before--even if it's to win.

This make Leipheimer and Evans look like Spanish bullfighters, the tip of the spear.

I am getting really fed up with this. Anyone who is levelling 'wheelsucking' accusations at Menchov, Leipheimer or Evans has clearly never raced a bike up a hill in their life.

On the flat at high speeds, slipstreaming makes a big difference, and sitting in the wheels saves you a lot of energy. HOWEVER, once you hit 7/8/9 % slopes, the lower speeds make the advantages of sitting in someone's wheel vanishingly small. Hauling yourself up Vesuvius is incredibly hard, and whether or not you do it at the front of the group or the back makes very little difference. Menchov could have ridden in front of Di Luca today, sure, but the only difference it would have made is that it would have been harder for him to spot when Di Luca was attacking.

Even if you leave aside the fact that Menchov was only saving a tiny amount of energy by following Di Luca, this is professional goddamn bike racing. Menchov isn't trying to prove a point or show off, he is trying to win a Grand Tour. You don't win a grand tour by attacking every day and wasting energy. You have to be clever, you have to save your strength for the times when it will make the most difference. Menchov has done exactly that this Giro. His tactics have been flawless, and that's why he's in pink.

Menchov, Evans and Leipheimer may not be as aggresive as Di Luca and Contador, but that doesn't make them less talented bike riders.