• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 5 Châteauneuf-du-Pape -> La Montagne de Lure 176 km, Friday 8th March

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
El Pistolero said:
The problem people have with Sky is their domestiques were mostly worthless before joining Sky(their leaders as well). Rogers for example hadn't climbed like that anymore since 2006.

Rogers won Tour of Cal. and Ruta del Sol, podiumed Romandie and Crit International in 2010 (HTC) so he wasn't so slow in the climbs

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Still it happens to much to Gesink, so I've adjusted my Giro hopes to just the following, be healthy and race well for 3 weeks. Nothing else.

What is racing well in your opinion? Lower top 10? That seems reasonable to me, if he does that he's right where he belongs.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmm Gesink saying he's sick and felt terrible at todays last climb....

Which begs the question...

If you're sick and feel terrible, why do you attack?

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Glad that the Quintana hype might finally be over, now people are switching to the Porte hype.

It was great racing today, no doubt about that, and I liked it much more than the Contador P-N shows on Lure or Mende or whereever, but let´s not forget the startlist in this year´s P-N isn´t so special anyways, and some of these who started are quite disappointing: Fuglsang quitted, Basso lacks shape, Gesink has problems, and so on.

We don´t know more about Porte than we knew after Malhao in February 2012.

What makes P-N interesting nevertheless is the scenery and the spring there in Southern France, that winter is over, and the race is quite open, though Porte seems to win this edition now almost for sure.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
Glad that the Quintana hype might finally be over, now people are switching to the Porte hype.

It was great racing today, no doubt about that, and I liked it much more than the Contador P-N shows on Lure or Mende or whereever, but let´s not forget the startlist in this year´s P-N isn´t so special anyways, and some of these who started are quite disappointing: Fuglsang quitted, Basso lacks shape, Gesink has problems, and so on.

We don´t know more about Porte than we knew after Malhao in February 2012.

What makes P-N interesting nevertheless is the scenery and the spring there in Southern France, that winter is over, and the race is quite open, though Porte seems to win this edition now almost for sure.

What those matter ?

Fuglsang is not a factor at all.

Basso is not a factor to win such stage race.

Gesink didn't have any problems, he just was bad today.

Not saying the competition was great, but Porte did the best he could do here, but I honestly dont see people overrating him here or something.

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Hmmmm Gesink saying he's sick and felt terrible at todays last climb....

Which begs the question...

If you're sick and feel terrible, why do you attack?

Two days ago the excuse of the day was "bad positioning," while he was clearly climbing very poorly already. But no mention of that, of/c. I don't think he's gotten much worse since then, honestly. He was no top-20 material then either. Same yesterday.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Not saying the competition was great, but Porte did the best he could do here, but I honestly dont see people overrating him here or something.

Not here, but some consider him (Porte) to be stronger in the mountains that Wiggins for the Giro... ;)

RHRH19861986 said:
Not here, but some consider him (Porte) to be stronger in the mountains that Wiggins for the Giro... ;)

Porte leaving Wiggins behind in the mountains is just something we all want to see happen... doesn't mean we actually think it will happen. We can always hope though...

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
What is normal for favorite riders is strongly unacceptable for riders you dislike...Even some statistic comparisons followed. It was a beautiful deserved victory. Deal with it!!!

TRENDING THREADS