• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Stage 7 - did vino wait ?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
slartiblartfast said:
Completely different situation. When Evans had his puncture in the Vuelta he was with the lead group of GC contenders who then collectively went on the attack. On Saturday he was one of the ones having to do the chasing to get back to the lead group. Are you suggesting he was supposed to wait for Nibali and Basso and pace them back to Vino's group?

Not really no. Cuddles claims he was attacked by Piti when he had his mechanical and threw his toys out of the pram.

Cuddles after he made it back to the Vino/Garzelli group could have sat up with Vino and waited/eased off the pace. Instead he went for it. He could have used his clout at WC to bring the Milram riders into line, but he didn't.

Cuddles is a hypocrite, ethics only apply when nasty things are being done to him, not when he is doing nasty things to others.

Lets hope for Cuddles sake that he doesn't have anymore falls or mechanicals, and that no one dares to accelarate. I am sure that if he does we will hear all about it from him and his fanboys about how unfair it all is and victimised he is.
 
May 17, 2010
1
0
0
Visit site
I watched the stage live and it di look like Vino took it handy for a while after the crash, Garzelli also went to the back and waited. Milram kept pushing it though.

Did anybody wait on Vino when he crashed heavily on stage 5 in the 2007 tour.
No.
The bunch went crazy and Vino lost over 1 minute in the last 20 or so km.
Funnily enough, the stage was won by Pozzato riding for Liquigas... :)
 
Jul 18, 2009
202
0
0
Visit site
I thought it looked clear cut that he'd waited initially. But if others keep going what do you do? Should you be prepared to loose out as well. Don't think so.

If the Italians were cleaning up then their media wouldn't have to resort to complaining to sell papers etc
 
Feb 14, 2010
2,202
0
0
Visit site
Franklin said:
Heh, is it just me, or is Vino gradually being forgiven by the audience?

For my part, I'm discussing the incident in question. Nothing that happened in history prior to Basso and Nibali going down enters into it.

"Vinokourov - now you've lost your respect as well," read one banner - presumably from an irate Italian fan a bit slow on the uptake. That said, Vino made no mistake in taking advantage of circumstances to take back the pink jersey - and Saddles is not the only one to hold that opinion.

Most directeurs sportifs came out in support of Vino's actions - and neither Basso nor Nibali actually complained.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blog/blazin-saddles/article/237/
 
Mrs John Murphy said:
Not really no. Cuddles claims he was attacked by Piti when he had his mechanical and threw his toys out of the pram.

Cuddles after he made it back to the Vino/Garzelli group could have sat up with Vino and waited/eased off the pace. Instead he went for it. He could have used his clout at WC to bring the Milram riders into line, but he didn't.

Cuddles is a hypocrite, ethics only apply when nasty things are being done to him, not when he is doing nasty things to others.

Lets hope for Cuddles sake that he doesn't have anymore falls or mechanicals, and that no one dares to accelarate. I am sure that if he does we will hear all about it from him and his fanboys about how unfair it all is and victimised he is.

What race did you watch? Instead of last couple of kilometers, I did not see Evans really pushing. Before that, he just countered attcks. There were couple of occasions when Evans lead Vinokurov, but these were also moments where followers got closer.

Anyway, situation was different from Ullrich/Armstron, difeerent from last year´s Vuelta. I dont blame Vinbo either. When Maglia Rosa, instead of chasing, decides to pace his teammate, why others wait Maglia Rosa?
 
Feb 14, 2010
2,202
0
0
Visit site
Von Mises said:
Anyway, situation was different from Ullrich/Armstron, difeerent from last year´s Vuelta. I dont blame Vinbo either. When Maglia Rosa, instead of chasing, decides to pace his teammate, why others wait Maglia Rosa?

This is a bit of an aside to the topic, but the Eurosport guys who only got brief glimpses of Basso & Nibali made it sound like Nibali sacrificed his position to help Basso. I read Basso's version, and he said that the two guys worked together to minimize the time lost by both. Basso said they used his power to help Nibali up the climbs, and he followed Nibali on the descents where he was better.

Basso:
"I hope people noticed yesterday that in a difficult moment, I opted to wait and drop back to wait for him so that we could ride together and limit the time we lost. I helped him when we needed power and he helped me on the more technical descents. I think that meant we limited the time we lost.

"In the crash we lost about a minute and a half but we only finished two minutes down. That means we only lost 30 seconds in 30km of hard racing. If we hadn't worked well together, we would have lost a lot more and been more tired for today. That shows the strength of the Liquigas team at the Giro. "

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/basso-satisfied-after-climb-to-terminillo
 
slartiblartfast said:
Completely different situation. When Evans had his puncture in the Vuelta he was with the lead group of GC contenders who then collectively went on the attack. On Saturday he was one of the ones having to do the chasing to get back to the lead group. Are you suggesting he was supposed to wait for Nibali and Basso and pace them back to Vino's group?

No actually when Evans had his "mechanical", Sanchez was in the midst of attempting to return to the lead group that included the elite gc contenders.
It was Evans' misfortune that this occurred under the circumstances that it did. Were they to wait on Evans it would have allowed Sanchez to return to the lead group. Evans could have hastened his own wheel change by actually removing the wheel himself as I've seen many of pro's do when in the same situation. Instead he stood there, likely with his chain on his 39x21-23 thus making the wheel change that much longer when the race officials eventually showed up. Now this is based on my own limited recollection but I don't remember his wheel being off of his bike while he was waiting.
 
Apr 8, 2010
1,257
0
0
Visit site
There's waiting and then there's waiting. You can't expect people to wait for you if you take a leak climbing a mountain.

As I see it you wait when you can 'afford' it. In the heat of the moment you don't wait.

Also, it depends on the parcour. IMO saturday's last 40 K was as much about staying on the bike as going fast.
 

TRENDING THREADS