• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

State of the forum 2024

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is the closest to being a horse?

• Pogacar

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Armstrong

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Landis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ricco

• Vingo

• Roglic

• Remco

• MVDP

• Ben Johnson

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Vino

• Total voters
Yep, things often get heated but this year seems that's true more than usual. Lots of people seem upset that Kuss either beat their favorite mutant or that he deprived them of the entertainment of watching two mutants from one team fight it out.

I think at this point, the pro cycling establishment has realized that people just want to be entertained. The whole charade of dope testing and the occasional small fish being reeled is just part of the show. I think we had a chance for a change back in 1997 and later after Armstrong was busted. Then we got Sky and now Jumbo.

Might as well enjoy the show at this point. It's *** but at least it's better than American football.

• Haha
Reactions: Cookster15
Yep, things often get heated but this year seems that's true more than usual. Lots of people seem upset that Kuss either beat their favorite mutant or that he deprived them of the entertainment of watching two mutants from one team fight it out.

I think at this point, the pro cycling establishment has realized that people just want to be entertained. The whole charade of dope testing and the occasional small fish being reeled is just part of the show. I think we had a chance for a change back in 1997 and later after Armstrong was busted. Then we got Sky and now Jumbo.

Might as well enjoy the show at this point. It's *** but at least it's better than American football.

why 1997? because of the 50% hematocrit limit that began that year?

I think it helps that Sky was basically all about the Brits so there was an easy target on their back.

JV does a better job at appeasing the Danes, Dutch and Belgians as well as the neutral fans through Primoz Roglic.
The #1 difference is that the "We are so cleanz" propaganda machine was much bigger, while Sky legit had fans who acted as if they were clean and defended them every step of the way. It was like the Evenepoel thread, if 2 sides keep arguing and they never give an inch it always gets toxic.

Meanwhile with Jumbo a thread might go "zomg Vingegaard ridiculous ITT" and every response will be like "yep....."

With Skineos, particularly in the glory years, you have to factor in the role played by the media. They put LA's "best educated, most steadfast cheerleaders who ever set foot from one country to another" in the shade. The ones inside the sport were bad enough - look at Fotheringham - but the worst were the likes of that ping-pong player, Matthew Syed, who didn't just buy into all the marginal gains nonsense but co-opted it and repackaged it (and it's still being repackaged, that Dragon's Den guru Steven Bartlett is still a believer, using it in his latest self help book) . There was a reaction against that, same way there was a reaction against the arrogance of LA's cheerleaders. TJV's cheer squad just isn't as well educated or steadfast, just isn't as objectionable. There's a lot less bolloxology associated with TJV. Everyone knows they're just Rabobank in new clothes.

On top of that, Sky brought that whole post-Empire best-in-the-world exceptionalism the British just can't help believing in, even though in most league tables, as Dara Ó Briain pointed out, they're about fifth. The Dutch, I'm sorry, just no one thinks best in the world when they think of the Dutch, not even the Dutch. They think of wooden clogs. Eco-friendly crocs and ain't no one wearing crocs ever gonna be the best in the world. They're not even the best in their village.

On top of that, Sky brought that whole post-Empire best-in-the-world exceptionalism the British just can't help believing in, even though in most league tables, as Dara Ó Briain pointed out, they're about fifth. The Dutch, I'm sorry, just no one thinks best in the world when they think of the Dutch, not even the Dutch. They think of wooden clogs. Eco-friendly crocs and ain't no one wearing crocs ever gonna be the best in the world. They're not even the best in their village.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgp-0UxeBK0

"Dutch exceptionalism just doesn't compare to British exceptionalism" is an amusingly exceptionalist thing to say
It might be if it was what was said but it isn:t. It's quite the opposite, in fact. The Dutch don't do exceptionalism. Like most of the rest of us, they have a pretty good feel for where they fit in the world. Unlike the UK. Or, for that matter, the US.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ManicJack
There are a few crazy Belgians and Dutch already going full gas for the CX season whilst the rest of us are taking things slowly and staying mentally and physically fresh.

Some of these Flemmish show excessive anger which may suggest the consumption of certain anabolic substances. For me it's suspicious to say the least.

I wonder what kind of absurd numbers 2024 will bring

There are a few crazy Belgians and Dutch already going full gas for the CX season whilst the rest of us are taking things slowly and staying mentally and physically fresh.

Some of these Flemmish show excessive anger which may suggest the consumption of certain anabolic substances. For me it's suspicious to say the least.

I wonder what kind of absurd numbers 2024 will bring
Not my experience, you said anabolic bringing out anger, probably true, but if you want anger add alcohol, that's the data set I am dealing with so far. I don't think there is an off season

Reactions: Tricycle Rider