• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Statement by Floyd Landis

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
http://www.newcyclingpathway.com/news/blog/statement-by-floyd-landis-18-september-2010

Statement by Floyd Landis 18 September 2010
Saturday, September 18, 2010 // Blog
As you may know, subsequent to winning the 2006 Tour de France, I failed a drug test and was ultimately disqualified and suspended from professional competition for 2 years.

During and following that suspension, I had a fair degree of time to reflect on the decisions made by and for me related to my activities as a professional bicycle racer, including, specifically, the use of banned performance enhancing drugs. The conclusions reached and the learning taken away by me during that time* are now moving me to correct, to the extent possible, the effect of those decisions on others and on and to speak out in a manner so that today’s young and future professional and amateur athletes can learn from my choices and, hopefully, avoid the same painful consequences which I have suffered and which I continue to suffer today.

In other words, like Deakin University, I too want to be a catalyst for positive change.

Effective partnerships often present themselves in unusual forms and at unusual times. My knowledge of and participation in professional cycling’s culture of dope and my participation in a conference intended to chart a new direction for cycling may seem inconsistent and inappropriate to some, including especially those that seek to maintain the status quo or otherwise cover up the extent of the doping problem and the resulting corruption under which the sport currently labors. That said, my knowledge and participation in the culture that the conference is seeking to improve, and my work with the conference organizers in that regard, is exactly the type of partnership that can and will deliver effective, progressive, relevant analysis that can be used to begin the process of repairing the currently broken sport of cycling and its governing institutions.

My intention in participating in the conference is simple. By offering an inside perspective of an athlete confronted with decisions regarding the use of banned performance enhancing drugs, I hope to be able to contribute to a better understanding of how those decisions come to be made, and how athletes can be better supported by those in a position to facilitate better decisions and decision making, including owners, sponsors, doctors, directors, riders and fans.

I have always loved racing my bicycle. For me, racing as a professional was a dream come true and it represented the culmination of years of very hard, very painful, dedicated work.

Having felt those dreams collapse, having experienced the result of my work publicly evaporate and having subjected the sport I love to unnecessary criticism, I now must be of service and do what I can to help others avoid a similar fate. And it was with that intention, not one of scandal and attack as has been suggested by my critics, that I accepted Mr. Hardie’s invitation to participate in the conference.

To be clear, I do not wish to use the conference as a “soapbox,” nor do I wish “hijack” the world championships. I will not and cannot discuss events or circumstances related to the ongoing investigations and lawsuits involving Lance Armstrong and certain of his current and former business associates and teammates, including what I saw and heard during the relevant time periods . Indeed, the behavior and comments of the persons and organizations that seek to shut down the conference as a consequence of my participation demonstrate that they are interested only in selfishly perpetuating their own positions and purported authority at the expense of progressive reform and in total disregard of the sport’s long-term interests, including those of the riders and fans, which they are charged to protect.

Floyd Landis

* I hope you can appreciate my effort here to footnote some of those conclusions and learning which provide important context to the discussions concerning my disclosures and their purpose, but which are not necessarily relevant to the purpose of this statement. The most important of these conclusions and learning are not cycling specific and appear to me now as common sense solutions to living at peace with oneself and the world; solutions to which I was blinded by a desire to win in a sport that all but requires its participants at the highest levels to disregard the rules in order to effectively compete.

Attempting to create and sustain a truth that does not square precisely with one’s reality will always ultimately fail. The energy and efforts expended in that attempt are wasted and can never be recovered or recycled into more productive or fruitful personal or social endeavors. The emptiness and unease that results from such a waste create a rattle within that can only be quieted by ongoing efforts to live in integrity and truth, and one cannot permit their past mistakes and indiscretions to forever commit them to travel a road on which they are no longer comfortable. I’ve traveled that troubled road and the consequent pain remains fresh with me. Integrity and truth cannot be nuanced or partial. Truth is nothing if it is not complete, and the story of my life cannot truthfully be told if facts important to it are omitted such that the story continues to mislead. My decision to disclose the regular use of banned doping products by me and by others with whom I have been associated is simply part of my process to square all the realities of my life and to make amends to those other than myself that have also suffered as a consequence of my poor choices.

Attempts by others to make that process into something other than I have described above, and to discredit my current efforts by pointing to my past mistakes (which I have acknowledged), simply represent their continuing, misplaced, misguided and fear-driven efforts to temporarily sustain a manufactured truth that does not square with reality of their life.

Gee, the guy is good. Or at least he found good text writers, which is something even many statesmen can't brag about.
So, no juicy details then, but a contructive general input to the subject of the conference. Fair enough.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
Gee, the guy is good. Or at least he found good text writers, which is something even many statesmen can't brag about.
So, no juicy details then, but a contructive general input to the subject of the conference. Fair enough.

And it looks like a pretty eclectic group. From the conference website:

Presentations and papers

The conference will be multidisciplinary in its approach and papers and presentations are invited from cyclists, administrators, social scientists, lawyers, philosophers, journalists and scientists and others on any topic affecting the present and future direction of professional cycling.

http://www.newcyclingpathway.com/conference

A

Anonymous

Good on ya Floyd.

The Omerta ankle biters will try and derail this any way they can.

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Years of cheating and lies with a smile. Now it's "everybody listen to me if you want to fix the broken sport" and truth is only truth if it's complete. Well, he blew it already. He can't claim to reveal the truth if he's already lied about it. I laugh when I look at Floyd Landis and imagine he has one philisophical brain cell in his head.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
jbenedict said:
Years of cheating and lies with a smile. Now it's "everybody listen to me if you want to fix the broken sport" and truth is only truth if it's complete. Well, he blew it already. He can't claim to reveal the truth if he's already lied about it. I laugh when I look at Floyd Landis and imagine he has one philisophical brain cell in his head.
Did you bother to read the statement? Or the pre-Tour New York Times article where Ashenden and Catlin said that Landis had totally opened their eyes as to how riders are using microdoses of EPO during races to get their blood values within limits after a blood transfusion? His information already helped towards making the sport cleaner. So why shouldn't he sit at a table on a college campus and offer a perspective that others there can't have?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
smittyjs said:
I'd find his statement much easier to believe if he had not filed a whistleblower suit.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but it's possible that he filed said suit as a way to get more federal pressure on the accused than just the FDA investigation. With a civil suit the gloves are truly off, and a lot more can be uncovered in discovery than under the somewhat limited scope of Novitsky's jurisdiction. I'm not saying he didn't have dollar signs in his eyes, I'm sure that played into it too, but hopefully he realized that he could open a much bigger can of worms this way.

It never ceases to amaze me how what's right and wrong, or good or bad can elicit such opposing views on the matter. Often when something is objectively good for some - in this case a reformed doper who wants to bring down the omertà that is a cancer in this sport - for reasons of self-interests, idiocy or shear cycnicism is terribly bad for others.

The problem isn't so much that what is in fact a good is dressed-up as a bad, but that there exist so many people in this world who are either wildly egotistical, cynical or idiotic.

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
The fanboys will try to spin the "Floyd bad" argument any way they can. Right now they are spinning so fast that they are in danger of screwing themselves into the ground and disappearing entirely.:p

The "fanboy" criticism aside - do you not see how having people like Floyd and Joe carry the banner for anti-doping is a joke? They were (are?) drug dealers, users, liars, and cheats. If you don't see that they continue to exhibit the same narcissistic behavior that got them into the predicament they are in now then you are the "fanboy".

Not that they shouldn't tell what they know to proper authorities, but it is useful to understand their motivations. You remember Joe Papp - right? Yeah, Joe Papp the DRUG DEALER (synonomous with scumbag and liar). Why does Joe continue to post on this site, on Twitter, etc.? Why is he really helping "clean up cycling"? He just wants to do the "right thing" and really cares now? Please - he wants to lessen his time in federal a$$ pounding prison. And he really cares what you think about him (and many of you make him feel better - that's so nice :rolleyes:) He is now an evangelist and someone we should support or believe? Really? Let him work with authorities, tell what he knows, and go away - quietly. He is a low life and always will be. You continue to give him a forum and he is actually treated here with respect by some - it is disgusting. Again, let him tell what he knows and go to prison - where he belongs.

And as for Floyd - again look at his motivations. He is bitter and angry that he played the doping game and lost. It's not clear what he has to contribute to the debate. He is not sorry and he is so desperate for attention and if you don't recognize that then wear your "fanboy" label proudly. Why should anyone subsidize him going to Australia to continue his "Feel Sorry for Floyd" roadshow? For him to suggest that the anti-doping discussion cannot continue unless he is included is beyond laughable - just an attention grab from a sad little man. I for one cannot believe anything he says - if you can then you are blined by something else (wonder what that could be?).

So I'll address the elephant in the room - you hate Armstrong. I get it and so do lots of others. But giving these guys continued credibility, support, and legitimacy is sad. I feel sorry for many of the "innocents" who got caught up in doping - but Papp and Landis are not in that category. Nor is Armstrong. For this sport (and others) to truly change, we have to turn our back on those who have dragged it down - and someone paying for Landis to fly to Australia to provide his "expertise" is just a distraction.

A

Anonymous

creeve said:
The "fanboy" criticism aside - do you not see how having people like Floyd and Joe carry the banner for anti-doping is a joke? They were (are?) drug dealers, users, liars, and cheats. If you don't see that they continue to exhibit the same narcissistic behavior that got them into the predicament they are in now then you are the "fanboy".

And what does that make people like Armstrong, Hincapie, and all of the other dopers, liars, dealers, and cheats who haven't gotten caught?

Man, the shrill monkeys are coming out of the woodwork...

Smile!
angry+chimp.jpg

I remember once attending a charity event in London on drug addiction. They had several speakers during a dinner. There was a Doctor, a priest and some other experts. But the most interesting, compelling and most insightful speaker was a former addict. The voice of experience and realism told the true side of drug addiction. This person had also gone on to become a drug counselor helping those with addition to overcome their problem.

So to this point it makes perfect sense to balance the debate and discussion with a former user and a person who knows the ins and outs of usage and how to keep it under the radar. Floyd can only add excellent insightful information to the conference. I say well done Floyd for turning something that was destined to destroy him into something very positive.

To the people who don't want him to speak why would you want him not to? I can't understand why you would want sugarcoat the debate about performance enhancing drugs. My son will soon be at an age whereby I'll show him the sport. I'd love him to race like I did. If he became good enough I'd hate to think some Lance type would force drugs upon him and that he couldn't speak up against. Sensible logical and rationalisation just goes out the window when it comes to the fanboys.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
jbenedict said:

Your comments say more about yourself than Floyd Landis.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Not heroes

While what they're doing may have a good effect in the long run, I cannot attribute any nobility to either of their actions (Papp or Landis). I have to wonder if Floyd would be so anxious to cleanse himself if he'd succeeded in blackmailing his way into the Tour of California, as he tried to do. Floyd definitely found someone to write a good statement for him, though.

creeve said:

Not that they shouldn't tell what they know to proper authorities, but it is useful to understand their motivations. You remember Joe Papp - right? Yeah, Joe Papp the DRUG DEALER (synonomous with scumbag and liar). Why does Joe continue to post on this site, on Twitter, etc.? Why is he really helping "clean up cycling"? He just wants to do the "right thing" and really cares now? Please - he wants to lessen his time in federal a$$ pounding prison. And he really cares what you think about him (and many of you make him feel better - that's so nice :rolleyes:) He is now an evangelist and someone we should support or believe? Really? Let him work with authorities, tell what he knows, and go away - quietly. He is a low life and always will be. You continue to give him a forum and he is actually treated here with respect by some - it is disgusting. Again, let him tell what he knows and go to prison - where he belongs.

And as for Floyd - again look at his motivations. He is bitter and angry that he played the doping game and lost. It's not clear what he has to contribute to the debate. He is not sorry and he is so desperate for attention and if you don't recognize that then wear your "fanboy" label proudly. Why should anyone subsidize him going to Australia to continue his "Feel Sorry for Floyd" roadshow? For him to suggest that the anti-doping discussion cannot continue unless he is included is beyond laughable - just an attention grab from a sad little man. I for one cannot believe anything he says - if you can then you are blined by something else (wonder what that could be?).

So I'll address the elephant in the room - you hate Armstrong. I get it and so do lots of others. But giving these guys continued credibility, support, and legitimacy is sad. I feel sorry for many of the "innocents" who got caught up in doping - but Papp and Landis are not in that category. Nor is Armstrong. For this sport (and others) to truly change, we have to turn our back on those who have dragged it down - and someone paying for Landis to fly to Australia to provide his "expertise" is just a distraction.

The guys who get "caught" are no less credible than all of the ones (who through luck, conections, bribery, or just extremely well designed and expensive "programs") have not been caught.......yet.
The only difference between Landis, Papp, and Kohl etc. and Armstrong, Leipheimer, Schleck, McQuaid etc. etc. etc. (sorry if I have left out your favorite racer) is that the former group is telling the truth finally, while the latter group is still lying through their teeth.
Saying the only way to eliminate doping in cycling is to not listen to those who did it and are now willing to expose it is beyond ***.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
creeve said:

What a sad world you live in. So, recovering addicts and alcoholics should not be working in helping with rehabilitation? If they lied, cheated, and stole they should fess up, work with the authorities, and then just go away quietly? So change should only come from people who were not involved in the wrongdoing in the first place? How the hell is change going to take place? Some of our wisest, smartest, most contributing members of society led less than stellar lives (according to the less than stellar life guage ;) ) before stepping up to the plate and for some reason or another allowing themselves to change and lead a different lifestyle.

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
And what does that make people like Armstrong, Hincapie, and all of the other dopers, liars, dealers, and cheats who haven't gotten caught?

Man, the shrill monkeys are coming out of the woodwork...

Smile!
angry+chimp.jpg

So the enemy of my enemy is my friend? That's a dangerous game to play.

If you took a minute to actually read my post (but I guess you were too busy looking for cool monkey pictures), you'd see I don't suggest anywhere that Landis/Papp shouldn't be "used" - but to give them any further credibility (or legitimate forums to further their narcissistic aims), is a distraction. "Use" them to bring down others but that you can't see that both have their own agendas is sad. They aren't reformed or seeking redemption. They are both bitter - one is going to jail (I hope) and the other continues to be a fraud - but both are clearly looking for attention. We shouldn't let them have any future or voice in this sport - they don't deserve it.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
smittyjs said:
I'd find his statement much easier to believe if he had not filed a whistleblower suit.

yep - his whistleblowing suit on continues to convince me that he got mixxed motives in all this. No different duping all those people and taking there money to "defend" himself... Sorry Floyd, the best you can do is just focus on what you did. Not others. Your not a victim. You deserve no money in a lawsuit.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
quite amusing really to hear some posters think that Landis/Papp should dissappear due to them being 'drug' user/dealer whereas a former alcoholic can become the Pres of USofA. :rolleyes:

another amazing thing from those who seem to be upset by what Landis/Papp's actions are leading too are using the word 'drug' rather than PED.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
TahoeNL said:
yep - his whistleblowing suit on continues to convince me that he got mixxed motives in all this. No different duping all those people and taking there money to "defend" himself... Sorry Floyd, the best you can do is just focus on what you did. Not others. Your not a victim. You deserve no money in a lawsuit.

Maybe Floyd was advised to take this course of action as it would lead to him recouping some money in order to payback those who supported him financially and he is not going to say that till he wins.

as for what his motive is, well if the united states federal government offers this whistleblower then it is above board, so what's your problem?

Floyd is one small fish in this dirty sea of PED abuse and 'Omerta-ism' and when he decided to swim against the tide, instead of being applauded for it he is being shot down by posters whose arguments are full of holes and holier than though statements. I don't care his personal motives, he is doing the right thing.

I'm upset not about FL, but that not one voice in the pro bunch has stood up and said way to go Floyd, but that makes me think what FL has done has to be applauded. Adam Meyrson did, a US based pro and well done Meyrson.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
creeve said:
So the enemy of my enemy is my friend? That's a dangerous game to play.

If you took a minute to actually read my post (but I guess you were too busy looking for cool monkey pictures), you'd see I don't suggest anywhere that Landis/Papp shouldn't be "used" - but to give them any further credibility (or legitimate forums to further their narcissistic aims), is a distraction. "Use" them to bring down others but that you can't see that both have their own agendas is sad. They aren't reformed or seeking redemption. They are both bitter - one is going to jail (I hope) and the other continues to be a fraud - but both are clearly looking for attention. We shouldn't let them have any future or voice in this sport - they don't deserve it.
Why not?

It is because they were dopers that gives them the credibility.

If Floyd had been invited to this discussion in Australia and refused - then you could make a claim that his reasons are narcissitic.
If Floyd was "looking for attention" he would be appearing on American chat shows and charging top dollar.