• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Steakgate latest: Contador positive for Clenbuterol in four different tests

Protein

BANNED
Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/astana-have-receipt-for-contadors-steak-says-cook

Seems this is good news for Contador if they have the receipt for the steak. I think that would be enough to satisfy the UCI, and the blood doping test is not recognised yet so I think it's unlikely AC will receive any type of sanction.

But I still have some doubts on the clen issue. Is this Spanish chef just a fanboy? Why has it taken so long for him to claim they still have a receipt? It seems they would have found the receipt by now if they still have it, unless they get one that is backdated....

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Protein said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/astana-have-receipt-for-contadors-steak-says-cook

Seems this is good news for Contador if they have the receipt for the steak. I think that would be enough to satisfy the UCI, and the blood doping test is not recognised yet so I think it's unlikely AC will receive any type of sanction.

But I still have some doubts on the clen issue. Is this Spanish chef just a fanboy? Why has it taken so long for him to claim they still have a receipt? It seems they would have found the receipt by now if they still have it, unless they get one that is backdated....
Who on earth keeps the receipt for food bought over a month earlier?

Smells like....................................?

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
They have the steak, just they can't quite find it yet. Even if they do have the receipt all it proves is that someone bought steak. It doesn't prove that Contador ate it, or that it was contaminated, or that it was the result of Contador's test readings. They've had a month to look for a decent excuse and they can't even find a receipt.

If they have the receipt from the shop where it was bought, then according to EU food regulations, it should be traceable back to the farmer who's illegally using Clebuterol.

Of course this won't happen.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I would think that an outfit having to do with Astana/Vino would just receive goods and services as a form of tax. Why would there be any receipt? How do you spell mafia in Russian?

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Who would keep a receipt for a steak?. Well this Spanish chef is talking nonsense. He must be trying to make a name for Himself. Money perhaps interview. Keeping a receipt for something that You had to eat. Is that in the rule of cycling. Keep Your receipts from eating livestock products incase there is clenbuterol contamination. That is nonsense. Well this also begs the question about the origin of this Phantom piece of steak. And how the heck does one prove that it was tainted with clenbuterol.

Protein

BANNED
Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
José Luis López Cerrón, who is a very good friend of mine and was coming to the race from Spain.

"He asked me if I needed anything and I asked him if he could bring some steak, because the meat in France is not the same. And that's what happened, it was just a string of coincidences that resulted in this mess."

Well the Spanish are certainly sticking together...strange thing to ask the Vuelta organiser, who was travelling by car one presumes. Who carries fresh meat hundreds of miles in their car in the middle of summer, for a food that is barely used by the riders?

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
ultimobici said:
Who on earth keeps the receipt for food bought over a month earlier?

Smells like....................................?

...anybody that has to file a tax return for starters...or runs a business that is accountable...where I live the law of the land demands you keep those receipts for 5 years..

...so what I smell is a proposed potential straw-man going up in flames...

...sure there is a problem, but lets keep the discussion out of the realm of the ridiculous shall we..

Cheers

blutto

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Animal said:
If they have the receipt from the shop where it was bought, then according to EU food regulations, it should be traceable back to the farmer who's illegally using Clebuterol.

of course this won't happen.
yeah, it can be traced to a farm, but the meat is long gone given that the farmer is not gonna sit around waiting to be arrested.

still overall this is a good news for berto because there is a verifiable probable cause with traceable receipts and witness accounts to confirm it.

berto needs that meat's samples with clen and that's hardly possible unless some frozen chunk is still laying around.

python said:
yeah, it can be traced to a farm, but the meat is long gone given that the farmer is not gonna sit around waiting to be arrested.

still overall this is a good news for berto because there is a verifiable probable cause with traceable receipts and witness accounts to confirm it.

berto needs that meat's samples with clen and that's hardly possible unless some frozen chunk is still laying around.
Again, this is not news. He didn't say anything that hadn't been said before regarding the receipt.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Again, this is not news. He didn't say anything that hadn't been said before regarding the receipt.

it may not be news (in fact i read this 2-3 days ago in spanish papers) but this is 'news' for many english speakers and it clearly establishes plausible answers to some questions floating around since the beginning of the affair.

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:

Man, you guys are sooooooooooooooooooooo cynical. Does no one believe in miracles?

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Somewhere in Spain, A poor group of cows are getting shots for Clen, so when they "trace" the meat to the source, the whole farm will be full of Clen and the farmer will have a whole bunch of Euros in his pocket...

Its like backdating... with meat!!

Protein

BANNED
Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
sartain said:
Man, you guys are sooooooooooooooooooooo cynical. Does no one believe in miracles?

I go back and forth on it. I think, he could just have eaten some Spanish meat like he says. But then I think it's still a strange story that they would bother bringing up red meat from Spain in someone's car in the summer, and these witnesses could just be the Spanish sticking together to avoid another one of their super stars getting banned. I really don't know. If anything the more serious news was the blood doping test.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Rocksteady said:
Somewhere in Spain, A poor group of cows are getting shots for Clen, so when they "trace" the meat to the source, the whole farm will be full of Clen and the farmer will have a whole bunch of Euros in his pocket...

Its like backdating... with meat!!
Let the cow-witchhunt begin!! It's medieval out there all over again

Protein said:
I go back and forth on it. I think, he could just have eaten some Spanish meat like he says. But then I think it's still a strange story that they would bother bringing up red meat from Spain in someone's car in the summer, and these witnesses could just be the Spanish sticking together to avoid another one of their super stars getting banned. I really don't know. If anything the more serious news was the blood doping test.
I think he ate a perfectly fine, clenbuterol-free steak from Irún that his buddy López Cerrón bought and whose receipt Astana kept.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
python said:
... it clearly establishes plausible answers to some questions floating around since the beginning of the affair.

But will 'plausible answers' suffice given the strict liability nature of the offense? I would think that the evidence would have to be clearly exculpatory (ie, tainted sample from the same cow) for it to have sufficient weight to overcome the indisputable fact that Conti tested positive for a non-threshold product.

Lacking this, it becomes a potential explanation, and not a definitive one. I would submit that the 'he-doped-with-a-bag-o-tainted-blood' theory is as plausible, and as impossible to prove.

Of course, all of that assumes that the UCI decides to follow its established protocol and treat everyone caught with Clen the same (lookin at you, Fuyu)

TRENDING THREADS