• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stereotyping all pro cyclists as dopers

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
A "diary entry" from Cadel's wife highlighted a situation that some posters on this forum do, stereotyping all pro cyclists as being dopers. Her diary entry is in response to a piece by Christiano Gatti for TuttoBiciWeb (i can't find the piece) who describes the role wives gilrfriends, etc play in their husbands or boyfriends play in doping.

http://www.cadelevans.com.au/chiara.aspx

What are your thoughts about this stereotyping?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
A "diary entry" from Cadel's wife highlighted a situation that some posters on this forum do, stereotyping all pro cyclists as being dopers. Her diary entry is in response to a piece by Christiano Gatti for TuttoBiciWeb (i can't find the piece) who describes the role wives gilrfriends, etc play in their husbands or boyfriends play in doping.

It is not hard considering the history of the sport is littered with doping and the riders have been the quietest voice in speaking out about it.

The recent furore over race radios yet not a squeak over doping kind adds to the perception that riders dont see a problem with doping.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
It is not hard considering the history of the sport is littered with doping and the riders have been the quietest voice in speaking out about it.

The recent furore over race radios yet not a squeak over doping kind adds to the perception that riders dont see a problem with doping.

I don't agree, even if 95% of riders were all doping, it is still unfair to stereotype all pro cyclists as dopers. Also I think some cyclists don't say too much or are not so open about talking about doping because you get people who will twist and misinterpret what they are saying.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Really? his whife is a whinger too? who would have guessed?

I think what she is saying kido is Cadel doesnt dope but then if she has to tell us all the damn time then.. aaaa forget it

carry on

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

Hilarious. Let's see, where should I start. Cadel Evans' teammate is George Hincapie, a guy who transfused blood during the Tour de France (according to Landis) and rigidly followed Omerta while on U.S. Postal for nearly a decade.

One of Hincapie's responsibility in Spain was to make sure Lance's refrigerator where he kept his blood was maintained at the proper temperature. What does Cadel have to say about his teammate Hincapie?

Then you got the owner of BMC - Andy Rihs - as a major finanical backer of systematic team doping (according to Landis).

Cadel sure does seem at home surrounded by all these masterminds of doping. The idea that he or his wife is going to give me a lecture about stereotyping cyclists is absurd.

She's beginning to sound as irrational as Contador.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
Then you got the owner of BMC - Andy Rihs - as a major finanical backer of systematic team doping (according to Landis).
Andy Rihs in the good ol' days:
People around the globe automatically associate Phonak with hearing aids and that’s solely because of cycling. We have become a real brand. Doping does not diminish that effect at all. In a way I am glad that there is so much talk about doping in cycling, because it deters big corporations. If they would invest in cycling I wouldn’t be able to afford it anymore. And, let’s face it – in professional sports, where there is a lot of money involved, you need medical support.
People want the show, people want entertainment. For me sports is show, entertainment, business, period.
VN: And as a sponsor you don’t care about your reputation?

AR: We all know the Festina story. The company had its best revenue ever in 1998, that’s a hard fact.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2006/07/news/a-conversation-with-phonaks-andy-rihs-cycling-sponsorship-pays-off-even-in-troubled-times_10522

As far as Mrs. Mendrisio goes:
I think she only makes the stereotyping worse by jumping into the ring.
I'm not at all swayed but any athlete's spouse. Amber stood by her man, as many others have done, even though they were "in the know" the whole time. I don't judge them for it, but I don't trust them either. And much like Wigans' wife, I'd give them all a bit of advice from The Shack:

Less noise, more poise. ;)

(Not to mention, she seems to totally miss the intent of the Goss headline)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Some of you need to learn to not jump to conclusions, I was merely highlighting the point so I resent such comments from Boeing, Granville57 and Terminator. btw, I doubt he would of enjoyed shutting down Phonak when the company BMC nearly went broke from pulling out of procycling. You also shouldn't post the full quotes and the context they were said in as it is unfair to do that to someone.

This topic was merely to discuss stereotyping, not to harp on about why Cadel is a doper. So I would hope that you would have the maturity and capabilities to keep the discussion on that sort of topic and not drift off on other subjects.

The wife of Vinnie "The Knife" used to complain that her husband was stereotyped because half his mafia crew had done a stretch in prison. It was a sad tale. One day he was driving through Jersey, and the next day he found himself with a nickname, a gold chain, and a track suit. He tried to shake off his reputation with his neighbors, but the constant arrests for beatings, arsons, and truck jackings kept the stereotype alive. Finally his wife learned to live with it and spent her time making cannoli.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
You only posted snippets of comments and didn't post the question so the comments could be put into your own context to suit your own argument.
That's why I provided the link to the full article. It wasn't my intention to change the context.

But now I have to wonder about your OP.
Were asking about the stereotype that all riders dope?
Or that the wives were all in on it?
Or both?
:confused:

When an overwhelming majority are dopers, generalizing is inevitable and even necessary. It's how our brains work, if we don't do it we won't be able to deal with it. And it's true that the wives/girlfriends probably know. Dopers are criminals in that doping is illegal in most cycling countries, but they're not gangsters, with the exception of some absolute psychopaths they can't live a double life, or hide what is an almost daily routine to the people that are around them all the time. Most people need a confident. This is also why there's a fat chance most of them will zip it when faced with a real police investigation. Look at the Festina case, who were the ones who stood? Virenque and Hervé. Two absolute madmen.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

yeah it's pathetic really. one look at the different watt outputs in races in the last few years that have been decreasing, tells you cycling has become if not completely clean then at the very least a lot cleaner.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
Hilarious. Let's see, where should I start. Cadel Evans' teammate is George Hincapie, a guy who transfused blood during the Tour de France (according to Landis) and rigidly followed Omerta while on U.S. Postal for nearly a decade.

One of Hincapie's responsibility in Spain was to make sure Lance's refrigerator where he kept his blood was maintained at the proper temperature. What does Cadel have to say about his teammate Hincapie?

Cadel sure does seem at home surrounded by all these masterminds of doping. The idea that he or his wife is going to give me a lecture about stereotyping cyclists is absurd.

She's beginning to sound as irrational as Contador.

wow what a hilarious story that is only backed by landis, the most mentaliy instabile person you could think of and a prooven liar unlike evans or rihs or even hincapie.

Defending Landis is even more hilarious. His story changes every full moon. Yes, it's unfair labelling every rider as a doper but that's because the truth is never known until someone is caught. It's easier to throw the blanket over everyone instead of doubting your favourite riders. Suspicions are sometimes aroused. The way Ricco was zipping up mountains before his first ban seemed to make people suspicious and they were proved to be right. I had doubts about Schumacher because of his time trial performances but I was surprised when riders like Rebellin and Hamilton were caught. Although Rebellin did have an incredible run in the classics for a while there. I don't think most riders are doping but that's not based on on evidence of any type. Maybe out of hope more than anything else and I have no idea whether it has improved or whether the riders are better at avoiding being caught. If a rider like Cancellara or Evans was caught. That would be the finish for me and pro cycling. That would be too hard to accept.

Landis's story has been consistent since last May. He has credibility in that parts of his story are corroborated by other sources - it's not just Floyd against the world, you know.

In 1998, Festina had 25 riders. Apparently, 3 of them were clean (Bassons, Halgand and Lefevre). That's 88% of doped riders.

Philippe Gaumont rode for Cofidis between 1997 and 2004. For those 8 seasons, he said only two riders were clean: Moncoutié and Tombak. I'm not even going to calculate how many riders rode for Cofidis at the time.

That's the past of the sport, right there. People keep saying it's getting better, and I think it is (regarding the amount of dope you can do safely, not necessarily the percentage of dopers), but when the UCI or anyone else talk about the past they forget many of the same riders are still in the peloton, without having acknowledged anything. Why would we trust them?

The most recent evidence we have for doping at the top level, I think, is Puerto. I'm afraid the percentage of dopers for 2006 might not be any lower than for 1998.

Ryo Hazuki said:
yeah it's pathetic really. one look at the different watt outputs in races in the last few years that have been decreasing, tells you cycling has become if not completely clean then at the very least a lot cleaner.

Did Evans' numbers also drop from 2007 Pyrenees to 2010 Giro? ;)

You would have hoped they have remained constant.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Back when I used to post to the non-Clinic Contador thread, I seem to recall someone tossing around the term "Spanish dopers" quite a bit, as if all riders from Spain are guilty. I'll stop there.

Skandar Akbar

BANNED
Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:

Has Evans only been riding "the last few years"? Does anybody have his power numbers since he turned pro I think in 2002? I agree I think doping is less now but let's keep this discussion in context. In other news Evans is married.

popolo

BANNED
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I don't agree, even if 95% of riders were all doping, it is still unfair to stereotype all pro cyclists as dopers. Also I think some cyclists don't say too much or are not so open about talking about doping because you get people who will twist and misinterpret what they are saying.

Give your fandom a rest.

Pro Cycling deserves the reputation it has as a drug infested cesspool.

You are delusional with your crazy whining about this being "unfair."

Are you on a logic free holiday?

popolo

BANNED
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Good Lord!

auscyclefan94 said:
Some of you need to learn to not jump to conclusions, I was merely highlighting the point so I resent such comments from Boeing, Granville57 and Terminator. btw, I doubt he would of enjoyed shutting down Phonak when the company BMC nearly went broke from pulling out of procycling. You also shouldn't post the full quotes and the context they were said in as it is unfair to do that to someone.

This topic was merely to discuss stereotyping, not to harp on about why Cadel is a doper. So I would hope that you would have the maturity and capabilities to keep the discussion on that sort of topic and not drift off on other subjects.

Jump to conclusions?

Seriously, you need to sit on a couch and have a talk with a professional.

You resent the fact that cycling is a proven drug addled sport?

You spend your time getting bent out of shape that your heroes are frauds?

You should really dig down and figure out what FL was saying about there not being a Santa Claus.

Skandar Akbar

BANNED
Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
popolo said:
Jump to conclusions?

Seriously, you need to sit on a couch and have a talk with a professional.

You resent the fact that cycling is a proven drug addled sport?

You spend your time getting bent out of shape that your heroes are frauds?

How old are you?

You should really dig down and figure out what FL was saying about there not being a Santa Claus.

Popolo you sure seem like an angry young lad or lass whatever the case may be. You can get your point across without being condescending and beligerent.

Fact is that I think cycling is cleaning up. One of the leading advocates for clean sport Jonathon Vaughters has posted frequently on this forum and he has debunked alot of the stereotypes tossed about. He has put several shreaking posters in their place for sure.

Thankfully we have people like him that can help turn the tide away from the cheaters to the new clean breed.

Skandar Akbar said:
Popolo you sure seem like an angry young lad or lass whatever the case may be. You can get your point across without being condescending and beligerent.

Fact is that I think cycling is cleaning up. One of the leading advocates for clean sport Jonathon Vaughters has posted frequently on this forum and he has debunked alot of the stereotypes tossed about. He has put several shreaking posters in their place for sure.

Thankfully we have people like him that can help turn the tide away from the cheaters to the new clean breed.

What a brilliant post :D