• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Steven Kruijswijk

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Taxus4a said:
I didnt follow closely him last year at the begining, but analysing his Giro he had just a bad day in the 4 th stage, La Spezia, when he lost 7 minutes with the favourites, I dont know if something happen...

He was second in 9th stage in a break who allowed him to take 1 minute, so he was at a good level from the middle of the Giro, not just at the end.

I think he has started better this year, maybe becouse the start in his country, but it is not easy to say if he will be even stronger than last year in the harder stages. If he is, he count even to win the overall, but I dont think so.

He put in the ITT 1,5 minutes to Uran, but he wasnt never ok after to start just finishing an illness, so I think tomorrow Uran will put to him one minute.

Anyway, for sure, Kruijswijk will do a good ITT, and the Giro is to be always well, no more.

He lost 8 minutes on stage 4 because astana went crazy during that stage and he was too far behind when the bunch split into pieces. He tried to chase, but was alone so he was doomed. He gave up chasing too hard.

Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
If you look at all of Kruijswijk's GT's, barring the Vuelta (where for some reason he never did well), he always rides his best in the 3rd week. So I expect him to do well there

It is true, but surprisingly he did better opening ITT last year in Tour de France than Froome and Contador...:O In fact, Uran and him rode the Giro and starting better than Contador...although this is not for this thread...

He was better in Alps than Pyrynees, but miot much better, just in one stage, Pra Loup...

I had as well that Idea that he is a man for third week, like Hesjedal, and it is, but no so much as I though maybe...

In his other top 10 Giro, 2011, he wanst bad at the begining...but it looks like if at the begining he is better in medium mountains stages than in the big ones (Etna), and he is better in the long stages, for Amador is similar...

They are endurace riders.

What I mean is that Kruijs... has ever been good in long medium mountains stages in the first week. Ço of coure, he will be good at the end, maybe better than ever, but I dont expect much better. I expect a similar level than last year, wich was great anyway, close to Contador.

This year he has a team working very well for him, and that is important.

The team working for him has been very important so far. He's never in the wind and they always drop him off at the front before the final/decisive climb. He's been really happy with the support this year as he didn't have to waste energy so far.
I hope there will be 1-2 riders for him that can stay with him in the high mountains though. Until the favourites start ofcourse.

Re:

Brullnux said:
Kruijswijk > Zakarin in my mind. He's been proven to be good in GTs unlike Zaka, and takes turns at the front of a small group, though makes me much prefer him to Zakarin.

Definately. Allthough I wished he sometimes held back a bit more since I really want him to do good and leeching pays off quite often.
Allthough I much prefer him working. I have a lot more respect for that.

Zaka and Majka really are unlikeable wheelsuckers.

Kwibus said:
Brullnux said:
Kruijswijk > Zakarin in my mind. He's been proven to be good in GTs unlike Zaka, and takes turns at the front of a small group, though makes me much prefer him to Zakarin.

Definately. Allthough I wished he sometimes held back a bit more since I really want him to do good and leeching pays off quite often.

That's especially disappointing from Majka, considering he should be learning from the most agressive GC riders around. I think Majka doesn't really time his attacks well. He either goes too early and blows up, or is among the first riders in the final burst to the line

Kwibus said:
Brullnux said:

I definitely don't see Zakarin as a wheelsucker. He's usually very aggressive, although perhaps less so this Giro.

Hugo Koblet said:
Kwibus said:
Brullnux said:

I definitely don't see Zakarin as a wheelsucker. He's usually very aggressive, although perhaps less so this Giro.

Yes Zakarin attacks quite a lot, but when he was in that small group yesterday he did no work. There's no contradiction between being an attacker at times and doing less than your fair share at other times - Steve Cummings isn't a team player at all, but overall he is very aggressive, for example.

TMP402 said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Kwibus said:
Brullnux said:

Yes Zakarin attacks quite a lot, but when he was in that small group yesterday he did no work. There's no contradiction between being an attacker at times and doing less than your fair share at other times - Steve Cummings isn't a team player at all, but overall he is very aggressive, for example.
And Pirazzi is the epitome of an aggressive rider and an epitome of a non-team player :D

Re:

jens_attacks said:
zakarin is a wheelsucker lolz

you do realize that in this giro he's an outsider, he has no responsibility at all. it's his first grand tour that he targets for gc
and if last year he was a wheelsucker...ok then.

Hmmm well it's too early to tell, but he's rarely an instigator. More a follower.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Red Rick said:
The prospects of the CrushWeak are getting better and better
Let's not jinx this
I'm fan of him to win Giro...so his chances are over.

Bur maybe I would jinx it by telling it :)

I really, really hope he can do this. That would be awesome. Loveboat winner of Giro!!! If not Roglic, than Loveboat.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Mayomaniac said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well if Kruijswijk is on his Giro 2015 level and Roglic can hold a good level for 3 weeks they'll be a great duo
Kruijswijk-Roglic 2016, make Rabofail great again. :D
I already called it on the 29th of February. :cool:
I hope that we don't jinx him, him finishing on the podium would be awesome.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
Aww **** where did Loveboat come from again :D
I would blame my memory at first place. Usually remeber thing like this or how big is blue whale spleen easily and important thinfs not at all. I guess that's the common way.

He had some difficulties today so I hope he's feeling better tomorrow when it will matter.

I also do not agree with the people that claim he is a pure diesel. Well he's certainly closer to a diesel than an puncheur, but in the first 1.5 week of the Giro he has shown quite decent punch.

He has one victory in his career and that's his Tour de Suisse stage win in 2011 at Lichtenstein. He needs to outperform his opponents by sheer power as his acceleration is probably as weak as Fuglsang's. That's his main-issue apparently. Normally he's a quite aggressive rider.

TRENDING THREADS