• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Steven Kruijswijk

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
BlurryVII said:
Valv.Piti said:
Popchu said:
News...

MEDICAL UPDATE @s_kruijswijk has a small rib fracture and is struggling with pains in his foot and side. New update, tomorrow morning.

Rip.
Thank god I got Valverde > Krujswijk @ 1,66

That's all you gotta say? Would love to see your reaction if that happens to Quintana at the Tour.

Hard money baby.
Yeah... It's really hard to earn @1,66
Cheap joy.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Every cloud has its silver lining. Kruijswijk's statement this evening to the effect of "My morale went out of the window the very moment I crashed" suggests that he was physically strong but mentally fragile (can you imagine Lance or Bertie immediately losing ALL morale because of a hard fall? I can't).

This experience will toughen him up mentally and make him an even more formidable rider in the future. I know you Dutch guys are upset, but believe me, Steven's best days are still ahead of him, and what doesn't kill him makes him stronger. This is not the last time we'll see him fighting for a podium or even a win in a GT.

I still can't believe why LottoNL-Jumbo didn't send a rider in the break. Everybody knew if a top rider attacks on Agnello, Kruijswijk remains alone. But all the GC favourites were alone, Chaves, Nibali, Majka, ok Valverde had Amador, but that's it. The difference was all those teams had riders in the break, except for Lotto. I know they had to work from the start of the stage but all the riders weren't needed. Why not send a Roglic, a Battaglin or a Tankink in the break. They would've waited for Kruijswijk on the Agnello descent and could've been of big help in the part between the big climbs. Here is where the Giro is lost IMO. It was a tactical mistake. Off course if Kruijswijk is injured, it doesn't matter for tomorrow. But if he is able to ride normally the team directors should blame themselves.

Re:

burning said:
He's 28, so it is not like this is the final chance of his career, but he needs to get out of that team ASAP. I rewatched it and there was no support from his car for a long time. Seriously, they have literally one job and they are so bad at that.

I ain't got no clue why they ever fired Erik Breukink actually! He made his errors as well, but he certainly got some clue about tactics and was able to read a race!

PremierAndrew said:
Red Rick said:
But I don't think Stevens best chances are ahead of him.

If he can put 4 minutes into Nibali and Valverde over 18 days, I think he'll be fine in future GTs too

We think he will be fine, but you never know. 2 recent examples, one very similar in the case of Igor Anton. Looked like he had that 2010 Vuelta in hand, crashed and never really challenged again in a GT. Anton was about 26/27ish then. Then De Gendt in 12 or 13, with the 3rd in the Giro at about age 26, now in his prime seemd reserved for the role of Mr. Breakaway.

I hope for his case he recovers and able to be back in shape for as early as this year Vuelta. I hope he is able to finish this Giro, even if he cracks and drops to 4th or 5th, because it still be his best finish.

Carl0880 said:
PremierAndrew said:
Red Rick said:
But I don't think Stevens best chances are ahead of him.

If he can put 4 minutes into Nibali and Valverde over 18 days, I think he'll be fine in future GTs too

We think he will be fine, but you never know. 2 recent examples, one very similar in the case of Igor Anton. Looked like he had that 2010 Vuelta in hand, crashed and never really challenged again in a GT. Anton was about 26/27ish then. Then De Gendt in 12 or 13, with the 3rd in the Giro at about age 26, now in his prime seemd reserved for the role of Mr. Breakaway.

I hope for his case he recovers and able to be back in shape for as early as this year Vuelta. I hope he is able to finish this Giro, even if he cracks and drops to 4th or 5th, because it still be his best finish.

He's done well in the Giro before. It's not like he came out of no where. He'll be back.

Terrible way to lose a GT. Over 3 weeks you're gonna put your foot wrong somewhere......but into a snow-ice wall 2nd last proper day?

A shitty place to stack, as his injuries testify. If he fronts up tomorrow and rides on mind alone to defend his podium, it will be an epic effort.

But even if not, kudos to a brilliant Giro.

Re:

hrotha said:
Hopefully he'll be able to start tomorrow and, at the very least, defend his podium spot.

And hopefully, Addy Engels won't get to call the shots in a professional team ever again.

Not the best stage to be defending with rib and back problems. i would like to see him podium but the odds are he will drop more time or not finish, that is if he actually starts. He hit that ice wall very hard. It's happened before and it will happen again but it's an awful way to lose a race.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Rode with panache, confidence and assurance.....the guy really has gone up in my estimations. I was willing him to win this Giro after easily being the strongest. A sad day, I really hope he can bounce back...on a side note please not Nibali for the win, anyone who so blatantly cheats, hanging onto doors is a disgrace

TRENDING THREADS