• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Steven Kruijswijk

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kruijswijk only just hanging onto the top 10 now. It's always kind of disappointing when a likeable rider tanks so badly in their and their team's major goal of the season. Especially if crashes have been a factor; although it looks more like he just doesn't have it this year - certainly no monstrous third week from him so far.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well, he started the race with cracked ribs. So he was really never 100% unfortunately. Looked nothing like 2016 Kruijswijk. Hell, even 2015 Kruijswijk would have destroyed this version
Yeah, it's a shame though. You'd think he would get stronger as the ribs improved, but he's looking even weaker than the other GC guys (who are also looking weak!). I guess he's going to have a hard time now convincing Lotto bosses to go all out and back him fully again next season.

He also said today it finally felt like he is hitting good/top form. It's too late but mainly because he got a cold just when the Vuelta started.

It shows how hard it is to get top form at the right moment for him. Giro 2016 will haunt him forever. The race he lost because of a dumb fall. He could've let Nibali gain 30 seconds at it would not have mattered... but he had to follow.. dumb

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
He also said today it finally felt like he is hitting good/top form. It's too late but mainly because he got a cold just when the Vuelta started.

It shows how hard it is to get top form at the right moment for him. Giro 2016 will haunt him forever. The race he lost because of a dumb fall. He could've let Nibali gain 30 seconds at it would not have mattered... but he had to follow.. dumb

I bet he wishes he had that moment back again. What a lost opportunity.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Alexandre B. said:

I thought he would have been another one who probably would have opted for the Giro. Not sure how he will handle the first week of the Tour. Bike handling isn't his strong point. I suppose if you leave out the Giro riders and possibly Froome, probably top seven chance unless he rediscovers 2016 Giro form.

I think a top 10 in the Tour is going to be hard, even without Froome. The Movistar trio, Bardet, Porte and Nibali are clearly better. Also Adam Yates, Martin, Zakarin and Uran if in shape.

Potentially Fuglsang, Mollema, Thomas and Majka although they are more at his level.

He should choose the Giro.

@WheelofGear: If Kruijswijk is anywhere near his 2016 form or end of 2015 Giro form, he is WAY stronger than Martin, Yates and even Uran. Hell, he sorely outclassed Nibali even in 2016. Ofcourse it depends on form. But to say Yates and Zakarin are clearly better is really taking it too far.
Yeah 2017 Kruijswijk didn't have it, but he never appeared to be in optimum shape due to a fall in yorkshire (giro) and illness (early vuelta).

TRENDING THREADS