• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Steven Kruijswijk

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
So that was pretty much the only stage in this Tour that suited Kruijswijk really well. Nice job Prudhomme
I think people are really overlooking how hard stage 19 is, simply because it’s a 20km steep downhill finish. The 3 very tough summits in succession can easily produce gaps in the groups. I think there’s going to be a lot of clock-watching on that descent, with the complication of the TT the next day making it more interesting again.

Besides which. Why on earth would/should Proudhomme design a route with 1 guy in mind?

This has a reason. In the winter he and LottoNL were looking on a way to improve his explosiveness so he could perform better in one-week races, which he was never able to as diesel climber. As a result he had top 10 placings in Suisse, Romandie, Catalunya and Andalucia.
And it also helps on climbs like these

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I'm not too worried about the short mountain stage, it's a long, hard climb and a finish at over 2,200m of altitude, if the tempo is high enough to warm his diesel engine up he should be fine, he's usually a beast in the 3rd week and in the 2016 Giro he was ungodly strong on the Aldano stage that was also on the shorter side, he responded to a ton of attacks without having a strong team around him.

Before the race he said top 5 was possible and I had no belief in that. But he did do this in the end.

Yes, you might say it's because there's no Porte etc. But he still finished ahead of Bardet, Landa, Quintana, Zakarin and the by many higher rated Fuglsang. I feel Stevie K is underrated because he lost the Giro 2016 in the end and had a forgettable 2017, but everytime he doesn't encounter anything strange he seems to be the ultimate of diesel climbers

So far exceeding expectations. All these short climb finishes and mono climb finishes so far really don't suit him, and he's 5th.

I think he'll be one of the better time triallists from the GC men and he's also saying he feels better every day.
Is there any multi mountain stage in the last week? If so, do not count him out yet (for podium, winning will always be hard)

Re:

Koronin said:
There are two mountain stages in the final week. It's the Vuelta so the mountain stages will have multiple climbs. The ITT is key to him having a shot at the podium.

I think he's a bit too far back and he would have to do a great TT which he rarely does these days. I still think he is a podium chance. But if some of the climbers have a really bad TT then he is back in it. So far the climbers are pretty evenly matched so I think the podium battle will go down to the last MTF.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
So far exceeding expectations. All these short climb finishes and mono climb finishes so far really don't suit him, and he's 5th.

I think he'll be one of the better time triallists from the GC men and he's also saying he feels better every day.
Is there any multi mountain stage in the last week? If so, do not count him out yet (for podium, winning will always be hard)
There is one, 6 climbs, but none of them HC, and only 100km. Not really easy to do much there.

Lagos should suit him better already.

I'm really impressed with him this year, but I wish he'd finally win a damn stage. He deserves it so much.

He is very underrated in this Vuelta, his Tour level is higher than López Giro level and better than any recent Quintana, but in the comments, analysis, preview and all this stuff he is never considered one of the top climbers of the race. Of course it will be difficult to hold his Tour de france legs here, but at the moment he seems to be recovering quite well (like always) and I believe than even today can be the strongest rider.

TRENDING THREADS