• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Steven Kruijswijk

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That being said, it's exactly the reason Krujswijk preferred the Giro for years. This racing style doesn't suit him. Very controlled, and only 2km attacks (explosive). He can't really do much more than ride own pace then.

The uncontrolled Giro suited him more and he attacked more there as well because of it

Stop kicking a rider for performing to the limit of his ability. He 'attacked' today as only a diesel can and counter attacked the first Bernal attack of the tour (when Thomas indicated he wouldn't repsond) - resulting directly in Steven dropping Julian. It's not a style of riding I particularly enjoy but diesels in the race are great because they provide something for you to root against! I wish him well I getting a podium though.

I think Buchmann compares favourably because he may be slightly stronger in the mountains and because he doesn't have a team to assist him.

So unlucky. Bernal is the strongest, but for his podium challenge all this is bad. First off he'd already pass Alaphippe today if it wasn't for the landslide. 99% sure of that
Second, now tomorrow is gonna be a mono climb stage. This could not go any worse for him really.

On one hand it is bad luck for him, on the other, you have to make your own luck sometimes. Kruijswijk hasn't done a whole lot in this tour, and that's a disappointment. He hasn't animated a stage, he hasn't gone for an attack, he's just followed wheels and responded a couple times. If you have to wait for the final day or two to get going then I am not sure he would be most deserving of a podium spot. What's he going to do tomorrow? The other 5 contenders will surely follow him. Alaphillipe is the likeliest to drop off, but will Kriujswijk do something to get on the podium? He should have done something much earlier in the tour. He looked good, as did his team during the Pyrenean stages, why not have a go at one of those stages?

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
That being said, it's exactly the reason Krujswijk preferred the Giro for years. This racing style doesn't suit him. Very controlled, and only 2km attacks (explosive). He can't really do much more than ride own pace then.

The uncontrolled Giro suited him more and he attacked more there as well because of it

Exactly. Kruijswijk for the Giro and Rogla for the Tour.

Re: Re:

Blanco said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Exactly. Kruijswijk for the Giro and Rogla for the Tour.

And Dumoulin ??

BullsFan22 said:
On one hand it is bad luck for him, on the other, you have to make your own luck sometimes. Kruijswijk hasn't done a whole lot in this tour, and that's a disappointment. He hasn't animated a stage, he hasn't gone for an attack, he's just followed wheels and responded a couple times. If you have to wait for the final day or two to get going then I am not sure he would be most deserving of a podium spot. What's he going to do tomorrow? The other 5 contenders will surely follow him. Alaphillipe is the likeliest to drop off, but will Kriujswijk do something to get on the podium? He should have done something much earlier in the tour. He looked good, as did his team during the Pyrenean stages, why not have a go at one of those stages?
Agreed. It's difficult to feel too much sympathy for such a dull and one paced rider. He's probably the third best rider and will probably end up third. But he's done absolutely nothing to try to win the race, despite probably having the strongest team.

DFA123 said:
BullsFan22 said:
Agreed. It's difficult to feel too much sympathy for such a dull and one paced rider. He's probably the third best rider and will probably end up third. But he's done absolutely nothing to try to win the race, despite probably having the strongest team.
I'd say the team that are likely gonna finish #1 and #2 probably have the strongest team.

Red Rick said:
DFA123 said:
BullsFan22 said:
I'd say the team that are likely gonna finish #1 and #2 probably have the strongest team.
Yeah, that's fair.

Perhaps better to say that Kruijswijk has had the best pure domestiques, who have been fully at his service throughout the Tour.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
So unlucky. Bernal is the strongest, but for his podium challenge all this is bad. First off he'd already pass Alaphippe today if it wasn't for the landslide. 99% sure of that
Second, now tomorrow is gonna be a mono climb stage. This could not go any worse for him really.

Always happens with the Dutch. Still amazed Tom won the Giro. Of course, he had to overcome a bathroom stop to do it. :razz:

The decision today made sense, but can't help but feel cheated. I don't think Kruijiswijk catches Bernal but have to believe he was holding back with another climb to come rather than going solo. He really had no other option with De Plus helping and Thomas there to sit on if he goes on the Iseran.

DFA123 said:
BullsFan22 said:
Compared to other years Bernal has done zero to justify winning the race either. One of the most boring editions of a grand tour I’ve ever watched.

He's a rider I like but I won't feel bad if Alaphilippe finishes on the podium instead of him. Jumbo had the riders to drop Julian like a stone on Izoard and Galibier. They didn't. Hopefully this will teach them a lesson: never postpone what you can do today.

Re:

F_Cance said:
True. Should have gone on the offensive instead of just sitting on and looking for the riders behind him in GC. And don't come whit that short "attack" attempt yesterday...

Actually he went quite long deep, just not explosive, but he did shake the favourite group, then Bernal quickly attacked and was just stronger.

Re: Re:

Leinster said:
Red Rick said:
When there's one guy the strongest by far, and you attack before him, you are bound to look silly

Yeah, but if you sit and wait for him to attack, then you're boring and negative and only riding to conserve your 4th place.
Don't really blame Kruijswijk much for his tactics ever. Generally he's just kinda unexciting for his stature.

I guess he should have been more aggressive on the Tourmalet, but he wasn't the only one.

A solid effort by Steven and a what will likely be a nice wee highlight to his career. Caps a fairly outstanding tour for Jumbo. I'm quite excited to see Jumbo and Mitchelton continue to develop as competent teams that might be able to take the fight to Ineos in the grand tours.

TRENDING THREADS