• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Strade Bianche 2024, March 2, one-day classic (men's)

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
After Rosa and later Wellens revived it, we see the Simeoni celebration again.
1503609566_081970_1503610171_noticia_normal_recorte1.jpg

20160408184224_meta.jpg

Wellens.jpg

Great race that we witnessed today, Pogačar with another legendary performance, if this race serves as a point of reference I think this season, we will have the best version of Pogačar yet.

Skujinš and Van Gils also with very good performances especially the Latvian that crashed, they are looking like two of the best 'humans' in the peloton right now.

I don't think the course change made a huge difference if anything made the race even harder and more suited to the hilly classics riders.

Hope that riders like Van Aert and Van der Poel return in future editions or even Remco, Roglič or Vingegaard give it a go.

Last edited:
You think so? I just see it as not knowing you can go 40-80k alone, few riders can settle down after creating a gap and settle down to do an individual time trial , Pog always amazes me with hours of self punishment, guy is a rock
With 90k to go, there were only about 30 riders still in the front group and most looked like they were barely holding on, let alone capable of attacking. Whereas Pog just danced up that hill.

I was surprised that Healy, Pidcock, or Mohoric, just to name a few, couldn't even stay on Pog's wheel for a few hundred meters.

But I take your point about confidence. Long range attacks are a skill, for sure.

great race, it only sucks that we have to wait another year for the next Strade Bianche
Not for me...terrible race. It would have been nice to have the other two riders, who are likely the only other two in the world who have the legs to have gone with him at 80K to go, in the race...then maybe a great race. As it happened, it was awful to watch, competition wise.

Great race that we witnessed today, Pogačar with another legendary performance, if this race serves as a point of reference I think this season, we will have the best version of Pogačar yet.

Skujinš and Van Gils also with very good performances especially the Latvian that crashed, they are looking like two of the best 'humans' in the peloton right now.

I don't think the course change made a huge difference if anything made the race even harder and more suited to the hilly classics riders.

Hope that riders like Van Aert and Van der Poel return in future editions or even Remco, Roglič or Vingegaard give it a go.
I don't think the change in parcours affected how it relatively favoured climbers/rouleurs. Rather, its date and relative hardness is worse for Ronde/Roubaix than Ardennes.

Neither Van der Poel nor Van Aert races in March before Sanremo (and Van Aert skips that one too).

Reactions: Sandisfan
i thought the course change kinda made the race lag a bit, there's really no reason for that extra loop, plus it meant we didn't really get to see the long sterrato sector before Sante Marie on the live coverage. i think 215k is a good distance but they should add it in the first half of the race instead.

Reactions: Sandisfan