• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sun Tour

A

Anonymous

anyone know if there is any coverage whatsoever outside of Aus on this one...

obviously with both garmin, and rafa involved there is some british intrest...
http://www.heraldsuntour.com.au/index.php?id=232

damned if i can find anything on tv here, but even p2p isnt showing up anything yet...

aussie volunteer to put the final 10k on youtube each day?

A

Anonymous

:eek:

from the suntour website

Wiggins heads Down Under for Jayco Herald Sun Tour (copy 1)
Wednesday, 2 of September, 2009
The 2009 Jayco Herald Sun Tour has been significantly boosted by confirmation that it has secured what followers are claiming to be the best credentialed rider in the event’s 58-year history, Britain’s Bradley Wiggins.

ok.... im guessing that when it comes to "credentials" the aussies include track results...

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry Dim but your post made me laugh a little.

The assumption that we in Australia get any coverage of Sun Tour is strange to me as this is not how Australian sporting media work. We might get one stage shown full length, which I think they did for the first time last year and a highlights package in a months time.

a bit sad really as it can be a fantastic race, the course this year is dull though with no real climbs in other years they have put them up some epic mountains. I've got a few friends racing in it, cant wait to see dhow they do.

And with O'Grady and McEwen riding in previous years wiggins aint the best credentialed rider in the races history. (maybe even if you include track, not that I want to get into that debate again)

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
Sorry Dim but your post made me laugh a little.

The assumption that we in Australia get any coverage of Sun Tour is strange to me as this is not how Australian sporting media work. We might get one stage shown full length, which I think they did for the first time last year and a highlights package in a months time.

a bit sad really as it can be a fantastic race, the course this year is dull though with no real climbs in other years they have put them up some epic mountains. I've got a few friends racing in it, cant wait to see dhow they do.

And with O'Grady and McEwen riding in previous years wiggins aint the best credentialed rider in the races history. (maybe even if you include track, not that I want to get into that debate again)

I think you will find One HD is having a 30 min highlights show each night

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
Great news.

Yeah although its not much its good to see a channel other than SBS put some cycling on TV , i just checked the ONE HD TV guide and its true on Sunday they got 1 hour highlights and other days 30min starting around 8-9 each night. I could only check till Wednesday but im hoping they might show the last stage live but i wont get my hopes up

A

Anonymous

53 x 11 said:

oh i thought it was a ridiculous comment as well.. wasnt me, was the suntour website said it.. :D

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
It's a matter of interpretation. Best credentialled could mean best placed GT finisher. Had anyone podiumed a TDF raced this tour previously? If not, I say its a fair statement.

In any case, well done Old Man Kirsipuu. He may have just got a gig at Retirement Shack with that effort. Bravo!!

May 2, 2009
Visit site
unsheath said:
It's a matter of interpretation. Best credentialled could mean best placed GT finisher. Had anyone podiumed a TDF raced this tour previously? If not, I say its a fair statement.

In any case, well done Old Man Kirsipuu. He may have just got a gig at Retirement Shack with that effort. Bravo!!

Jean Francois Bernard rode it years ago. Won a stage into Bright or Beechworth if I remember correctly.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
unsheath said:

really? In what bizzaro world would that be? how does a 4th place in one GT equate to Robbies 12 Giro and 12 Tour stages? Or O'Grady's wins for that matter, or Jaans 4 tour stages?

A

Anonymous

53 x 11 said:
really? In what bizzaro world would that be? how does a 4th place in one GT equate to Robbies 12 Giro and 12 Tour stages? Or O'Grady's wins for that matter, or Jaans 4 tour stages?

personally i think its an idiotic quoete and whoever put it on the suntour website should remove it... i also think its a discredit to some of the riders who have ridden in the past..

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
personally i think its an idiotic quoete and whoever put it on the suntour website should remove it... i also think its a discredit to some of the riders who have ridden in the past..

Yeah, I think I let that one get to me. I'm just going to let it go.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Wiggins looks to have reasonable form. Apparently in stage 1 he was trying to set Sutton up for the win but was just too strong and Sutton lost his wheel.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Holy Mother of God!

The weather sure turned it on...for anyone who missed the coverage, the weather was hooooorible.

More belgium style than Australia.

Glad I am not racing!

A

Anonymous

Jono L. said:
Holy Mother of God!

The weather sure turned it on...for anyone who missed the coverage, the weather was hooooorible.

More belgium style than Australia.

Glad I am not racing!

just seen the brief 1minutes stage two highlights.. looked grim
4 riders out including hospital jobs..

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Ok...so I dont know much about most of the riders riding, but assuming Wiggo is on top of his game, how much time can he make back in the time trial? its only 10km.....

Can he still win the race?

A

Anonymous

macrobius said:
Ok...so I dont know much about most of the riders riding, but assuming Wiggo is on top of his game, how much time can he make back in the time trial? its only 10km.....

Can he still win the race?

well brads only 3 seconds down, so yes, undoubtedly, but i think also they are looking for chris sutton to win.. the first ever father son combo....
sutton and cantwell will fight it out over time bonus's until the time trial, then either brad will get it, or sutton will hold off cantwell.. garmin have it pretty nicely covered...

personally i would love to see sutton get it... would be a great and unique achievement...

(see.. im not always nationally biased) :D

TRENDING THREADS