• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Swimming

Not much has been said about swimming, but with the FINA World Championships wrapping up tomorrow, I figured it might be a good time to start a new thread here in The Clinic. One competitor that stood out (there were several, actually, but this particular one is a freak) was Katie Ledecky. She is only 18 and has already owned freestyle swimming for the last 3 or 4 years. As a 15 year old, she won the Olympic 800m, then won 4 golds at the 2013 Worlds and one upped herself with 5 golds this past fortnight. Around 6 feet tall, and winning at a young age. Nothing strange to see a swimmer, specifically a female swimmer, winning early and being a physical force. American swimming has been a force since the early days of Olympic swimming, but is this a truly remarkable human being or a remarkable human being that is boosted by PEDs? Missy Franklin is another that comest to mind. Not to point fingers at American swimming, but swimming in this country far outdoes anything any other country has done. This includes East Germany, united Germany, USSR (Russian athletes, mostly), modern Russia, Australia, France, and China (although looking at Chinese results in recent years suggests they are rapidly improving). Is it fair to think there is a doping culture in US Swimming or is just another case where a lot of top names from various countries are juicing and drug testing takes a back seat?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
Not much has been said about swimming, but with the FINA World Championships wrapping up tomorrow, I figured it might be a good time to start a new thread here in The Clinic.
might have something to do with the fact this is a cycling fora brah!
BullsFan22 said:
One competitor that stood out (there were several, actually, but this particular one is a freak) was Katie Ledecky.
already been recognised for her superhuman qualities. If she was british, i would baptise her gordonstoun, muscular christianity, rowing redgrave and oxbridge alliteration

BullsFan22 said:
She is only 18 and has already owned freestyle swimming for the last 3 or 4 years. As a 15 year old, she won the Olympic 800m, then won 4 golds at the 2013 Worlds and one upped herself with 5 golds this past fortnight. Around 6 feet tall, and winning at a young age. Nothing strange to see a swimmer, specifically a female swimmer, winning early and being a physical force. American swimming has been a force since the early days of Olympic swimming, but is this a truly remarkable human being or a remarkable human being that is boosted by PEDs? Missy Franklin is another that comest to mind. Not to point fingers at American swimming, but swimming in this country far outdoes anything any other country has done. This includes East Germany, united Germany, USSR (Russian athletes, mostly), modern Russia, Australia, France, and China (although looking at Chinese results in recent years suggests they are rapidly improving). Is it fair to think there is a doping culture in US Swimming or is just another case where a lot of top names from various countries are juicing and drug testing takes a back seat?
#NOTNORMAL
#NOT
#NORMAL
good grief
sounds legit

dont forget that there is a catchment of 300 million in the US. Australia is 23 million. China is a billion. But Australia is seaboard, everyone swims, even wrt to the Sino talent identification and sport school system in China, Australia prolly has a larger catchment. The Australian actual catchment might even rival America, as I said, seaboard population, everyone swims, even if the US is 13 times larger in population. But if you want to look at dopers, look no further than the Australians

These athletes, the swimmers are in my opinion the closest in sports to the rang of absolute gods. In fact, they look close to transform right in fish no more humans.
I missed the world champs because of too much cycling but i will watch all the finals recorded

Again this is already genetical transformation age here and to be honest, even myself i'm a little worried about their health, especially those under 20 years.
After that age, you can judge for yourself what do. you think it's the best for you

blackcat said:
BullsFan22 said:
Not much has been said about swimming, but with the FINA World Championships wrapping up tomorrow, I figured it might be a good time to start a new thread here in The Clinic.
might have something to do with the fact this is a cycling fora brah!
BullsFan22 said:
One competitor that stood out (there were several, actually, but this particular one is a freak) was Katie Ledecky.
already been recognised for her superhuman qualities. If she was british, i would baptise her gordonstoun, muscular christianity, rowing redgrave and oxbridge alliteration

BullsFan22 said:
She is only 18 and has already owned freestyle swimming for the last 3 or 4 years. As a 15 year old, she won the Olympic 800m, then won 4 golds at the 2013 Worlds and one upped herself with 5 golds this past fortnight. Around 6 feet tall, and winning at a young age. Nothing strange to see a swimmer, specifically a female swimmer, winning early and being a physical force. American swimming has been a force since the early days of Olympic swimming, but is this a truly remarkable human being or a remarkable human being that is boosted by PEDs? Missy Franklin is another that comest to mind. Not to point fingers at American swimming, but swimming in this country far outdoes anything any other country has done. This includes East Germany, united Germany, USSR (Russian athletes, mostly), modern Russia, Australia, France, and China (although looking at Chinese results in recent years suggests they are rapidly improving). Is it fair to think there is a doping culture in US Swimming or is just another case where a lot of top names from various countries are juicing and drug testing takes a back seat?
#NOTNORMAL
#NOT
#NORMAL
good grief
sounds legit

dont forget that there is a catchment of 300 million in the US. Australia is 23 million. China is a billion. But Australia is seaboard, everyone swims, even wrt to the Sino talent identification and sport school system in China, Australia prolly has a larger catchment. The Australian actual catchment might even rival America, as I said, seaboard population, everyone swims, even if the US is 13 times larger in population. But if you want to look at dopers, look no further than the Australians

I'd like to add Northumberland strongmen. Bots on the board is on the firm belief that the windswept of rain hilly landscape is a perfect breeding ground for GT-winnners and Tour de France-legends. Its like the Albion of pro-cycling.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

jens_attacks said:
These athletes, the swimmers are in my opinion the closest in sports to the rang of absolute gods. In fact, they look close to transform right in fish no more humans.
I missed the world champs because of too much cycling but i will watch all the finals recorded

Again this is already genetical transformation age here and to be honest, even myself i'm a little worried about their health, especially those under 20 years.
After that age, you can judge for yourself what do. you think it's the best for you
Yes, it's totally crazy, imagine under 20 year old cyclists breaking the climbing records of the 90ies, swimming is just ridiculous.

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
No offense, but young women dominating in swimming has been the case for ages already. Young women mature more faster.

Its remarkable how little doping cases there has been in swimming compared to athletics and most of all cyling, but that's just a bad argument.

What's next ? Katie Ledecky's receding hairline and low voice is because of anabolic steroid abuse ?

Sad the Worlds are over, great event it was. Disappointed about the Russians. I would have thought them to take it to another level in front of their home crowd but they were just bad :( oh and also sad to hear about Sun Yang, definitely one of my favourites swimmers.

I'm already looking forward to the Olympics.

Re: Re:

Billie said:
Flamin said:

Yeah, Swimming is my favourite event during olympics. If Phelps really turned away form alcohol it won't be pretty. He should go for 30 that'd be awesome

Well, this week Phelps clocked times at the American champs that would have made him world champ in Kazan on 100 and 200m butterfly. He'll be ready.

Phelps vs Le Clos the battle of the century _O_

Re:

Flamin said:
Sad the Worlds are over, great event it was. Disappointed about the Russians. I would have thought them to take it to another level in front of their home crowd but they were just bad :( oh and also sad to hear about Sun Yang, definitely one of my favourites swimmers.

Maybe they actually don't dope, or at least not as much as the other top swimmers or other sports where Russians tend to go over the line...Or they are just not as good...

Re: Re:

No idea Hitch.

BullsFan22 said:
Flamin said:

Maybe they actually don't dope, or at least not as much as the other top swimmers or other sports where Russians tend to go over the line...Or they are just not as good...

They are no USA but more was expected from them before the event. Especially national hero Morozov was disappointing. Although it was maybe exactly that pressure that made him choke. The other big hope, Efimova, despite winning 100m breast, wasn't as good as in 2013 either.

And neither was any of the surprises you have on every big event in every sport from a Russian.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
My 2c: swimming is actualy the sport with the highest potential for blood doping. First of all, it is the sport with the greatest ratio between hours spent training and hours spent competing meaning there is a huge potential for product used to enhance recovery. Second, the greatest number of races tend to last between 2 and 15 minutes having the aerobic-anaerobic combination that is perfect for blood doping. Just see what are the most suspicious distances in track&field: they tend to be running races between 800m and 5000m lasting exactly between 2 and 13 minutes...

TRENDING THREADS