• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sylvain Chavanel

he has been getting pretty much the same camera time he has been getting every spring since he joined quick step and started focusing on the classics instead of focusing on the tour like he did with cofidis.

the lack of an on form boonen has obviously given him more freedom which means he has been saving himself for more decisive parts of the race instead of attacking from 90km out like he usually does but he is performing at pretty much the same level he has been doing for roughly 4 years.

lets not forget he was already one of the strongest riders of the 2011 ronde and was instrumental in devolders 09 ronde win and he also has very strong performance in roubaix in 09 and 2011 but he always seems to get some bad luck there at end.

ofc riding for lefevre and having dr. jose in your team automaticly makes you a dodgy character but in their defence it has been a long time since quick step have been dominant on anything other then the cobbles and their dominance there is far from what it used to be btw the early and late 2000's

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
He's got good form right now, so he's doing well in the classics. Doing well isn't proof enough that one is doping IMHO. And he's always had a good TT, that's not proof of anything either.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
He definitely put in the miles at the front but its still at select times of the race and time of the year, instead of one peak its multiple smaller peaks in his schedule. He's not one of the dominating winners but gets his head out in the front to give it a worthy go. This would be one of the threads more worthy of being moved to the road racing regular section.

(at least till we know more :p )

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Parrulo said:
he has been getting pretty much the same camera time he has been getting every spring since he joined quick step and started focusing on the classics instead of focusing on the tour like he did with cofidis.

the lack of an on form boonen has obviously given him more freedom which means he has been saving himself for more decisive parts of the race instead of attacking from 90km out like he usually does but he is performing at pretty much the same level he has been doing for roughly 4 years.

lets not forget he was already one of the strongest riders of the 2011 ronde and was instrumental in devolders 09 ronde win and he also has very strong performance in roubaix in 09 and 2011 but he always seems to get some bad luck there at end.

ofc riding for lefevre and having dr. jose in your team automaticly makes you a dodgy character but in their defence it has been a long time since quick step have been dominant on anything other then the cobbles and their dominance there is far from what it used to be btw the early and late 2000's

Riiiight, so Chavanel is clean because he's at the same level as he had been for a few years and Quickstep aren't as dirty as they used to be.

Would be a refreshing change for you to show the same benefit of doubt to others in the peloton.

For the record I hope he's clean too, and a likeable, gutsy rider. But then I generally think people are clean until it is proved otherwise

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Parrulo said:

Agree wholeheartedly with this, I have been losing money on Chava for years coz he always looks good at this time of year. I always take him for something in the classics and at least 1 breakaway in the TdF.

If OPQS are all doping - they are not very good at it and should be pitied for their poor attempts rather than vilified. (Gilbert apart - but that could have been Gilbert on his own, he does like the limelight)

Also, I agree this shouldn’t be in the clinic as it immediately taints the subject of the post.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Trudgin said:
Agree wholeheartedly with this, I have been losing money on Chava for years coz he always looks good at this time of year. I always take him for something in the classics and at least 1 breakaway in the TdF.

If OPQS are all doping - they are not very good at it and should be pitied for their poor attempts rather than vilified. (Gilbert apart - but that could have been Gilbert on his own, he does like the limelight)

Also, I agree this shouldn’t be in the clinic as it immediately taints the subject of the post.

How many wins last season? Not very good, please....

For me, Chavanel is dirty.
Trudgin said:
What.

OPQS were by far the best team in the classics in 2012, and they seem to be equally strong this year, Boonen aside. They were up there with Sky in terms of performance, just in different races.

And what does Gilbert have to do with anything?

JimmyFingers said:
Riiiight, so Chavanel is clean because he's at the same level as he had been for a few years and Quickstep aren't as dirty as they used to be.

Would be a refreshing change for you to show the same benefit of doubt to others in the peloton.

For the record I hope he's clean too, and a likeable, gutsy rider. But then I generally think people are clean until it is proved otherwise

oh getting some sky discussion on another thread, aren't you one of the guys that complains that people take every thread in the sky direction?

where did i say he was clean? i said he was a dodgy character because of his team's DS's and doctors, but his performance this year isn't any different then it has been for half a decade now and that is why i don't think his performance this year raises any more suspicion then it has been doing for years, something your beloved brits can't say.

and in case you haven't noticed chavannel has won 0 monuments and 0 classics much unlike sky last year that won everything they wanted to win.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Parrulo said:
oh getting some sky discussion on another thread, aren't you one of the guys that complains that people take every thread in the sky direction?

where did i say he was clean? i said he was a dodgy character because of his team's DS's and doctors, but his performance this year isn't any different then it has been for half a decade now and that is why i don't think his performance this year raises any more suspicion then it has been doing for years, something your beloved brits can't say.

and in case you haven't noticed chavannel has won 0 monuments and 0 classics much unlike sky last year that won everything they wanted to win.

I didn't mention Sky once, you've managed to shoehorn their name three times, and yet are accusing me of taking this discussion towards Sky? Its all you my friend.

And you put up a defence of Chavanel,saying he is has been consistent in performance terms for the last four years, and despite the team having a dodgy doctor and owner you defended them by saying they are aren't a dominant team despite them winning 50 races last season, which made them THE dominant team of the classics. Also the same number of wins as Sky, who apparently won everything they wanted, which I seriously doubt.

I'll repeat: I give Chavanel the benefit of the doubt. I think he's a decent, gutsy rider and I hope he does it clean.

don't troll buddy, we all knew what you were on about.

you are new to cycling so you probably don't know but the lefevre special used to get 1-2-3 in roubaix with so many minutes to spare that the team sponsor could decided which rider they wanted to win via phone call, it has been a wile since we have seen that.

anyway on chavannel, i will repeat it again. i don't think his performance this year increases the amount of suspicion people have over him simply because he is performing the same way he has been doing for years so the level of suspicion stays the same. That doesn't mean there is no suspicion as it would be idiotic to think he is clean considering who he rides for and who is the doctor on his team.

have i made myself clear now or will you try to further spin my words?

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Parrulo said:
don't troll buddy, we all knew what you were on about.

you are new to cycling so you probably don't know but the lefevre special used to get 1-2-3 in roubaix with so many minutes to spare that the team sponsor could decided which rider they wanted to win via phone call, it has been a wile since we have seen that.

anyway on chavannel, i will repeat it again. i don't think his performance this year increases the amount of suspicion people have over him simply because he is performing the same way he has been doing for years so the level of suspicion stays the same. That doesn't mean there is no suspicion as it would be idiotic to think he is clean considering who he rides for and who is the doctor on his team.

have i made myself clear now or will you try to further spin my words?

Trolling is a much abused word, isn't it? This is a discussion, a debate and at worst a disagreement. My point stands: you are willing to give Chava the benefit of the doubt despite the team he rides for. Fair enough, I'll agree, as I have said already twice. I think it's a shame you don't give other riders a similar objective assessment.

Quickstep are the dominant one day force still, and while Chavanel has won anything of note his teammates have.

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
If Sylvain is lead rider for Flanders how do you think his approach will change.
Is his chance of winning still best served in aggressive breakaway attemps, or supported by team will he have a different approach.

pepcalais said:
If Sylvain is lead rider for Flanders how do you think his approach will change.
Is his chance of winning still best served in aggressive breakaway attemps, or supported by team will he have a different approach.

For one-day races one has to be aggressive to be present so any rider is around to leverage off of others aggression. That takes a team helping one or two stay toward the front. It's not often told that some of the hardest racing is before some of the more famous sections of Spring Classics courses. A podium contender requires team assistance. From there, it's quite a bit of luck.

I don't know if anyone mentioned that Chavanel has been a team-leader alternate for years under Boonen. So, I don't know that in years past he could have podiumed working for Boonen. It seems like he is getting his chance this year.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Does that make him clean?

If he performs well now he's given more opportunity, it's because he hasn't had that opportunity in the past, so we can accept any success he achieves, because he has the support of a strong team.

Just want to be sure.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
Who's saying he's clean? Could you please stop strawmanning the whole Clinic?

Strawman is a lazy term these days. Ironically if anyone's actually said he's clean it's me, three times now. But what I have tried to illustrate is the partisan nature of the posting here, very often. This thread is evidence to a softening of attack on a rider most hold to be doping, yet is getting the benefit of the doubt.

The same benefit of the doubt I afford to most riders really.

JimmyFingers said:
Strawman is a lazy term these days. Ironically if anyone's actually said he's clean it's me, three times now. But what I have tried to illustrate is the partisan nature of the posting here, very often. This thread is evidence to a softening of attack on a rider most hold to be doping, yet is getting the benefit of the doubt.

The same benefit of the doubt I afford to most riders really.
I don't see anyone who thinks he is clean. What do you expect us to do? Look deep in each others eyes and nod 'yes I also think he is dirty'. I think most regulars/sceptics are convinced that he is dirty. Doesn't mean that they have to say it, for them to think so.

All IMO.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
I don't see anyone who thinks he is clean. What do you expect us to do? Look deep in each others eyes and nod 'yes I also think he is dirty'. I think most regulars/sceptics are convinced that he is dirty. Doesn't mean that they have to say it, for them to think so.

All IMO.

Would be nice...

What I object to the vehemence some posters go after some riders with, the sneering and aggression really sticks in the craw, no need for it, no-one actually wants a dirty sport, just differing IMOs of where we are with that...