• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 172 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Has Pogacar ever won a mountain race by riding away from the field and winning by 30 secs or more (like Froome or Vinegaard in stage 11)? Because this is what he has to do to have a chance in this TdF.

He always wins mountain stages by riding with a group then outsprinting the others - that's not going to cut it here. Too much damage was done in stage 11.
lol, yes?

Vuelta 2019
Tirreno 2021
Tirreno 2022
Tour 2020
Tour 2021

Well in the two TDF stages there was actually a guy from the break ahead. Last year it was Teuns, can't remember who it was in 2020. But in both occasions he rode away from his competitors for GC.

I am 100% Convinced that Tadej knows exactly how big of a gap he can have comfortably and win this thing. I think he also know Jonas was last year the only one to really match and drop him when Pogi was dominating... Pogi's been testing things this whole time with the team and taking notes. given that, I fully believe Tadej is enjoying not being in the lead, giving his friends a chance to win stages, while just keeping that 2 minute gap going.
In short, he will dominate the rest of this week, and really the only thing that could hold him back is the heat... which he hates, but he also seems the thrive in. Look if you took Wout and Jonas together, they'd have a chance, but the way tadej was at the start of this this season, I dont think now is the time he's gonna start fading. its his last time to be in white, and he always does great in it. So here's to an awesome week.
But lets be real, Im really just waiting to see him cheering for Urska in the motorhome when this is all over.
Going to come back in a couple of days to see how well this post will have aged smh

ATM Pog seems closer to cracking a 2nd time than Vingegaard a 1st. He hasn't seemed unbeatable or inhuman so far. And he's been wasting a lot more energy than Vingegaard with his raid in the cobbled stage, his counters/attacks in stage 11 all those stupid sprints all the time for god knows what reason. But you know, he does have that magic blood ™ as his doctor explained.

With Soler gone I think things look very dicey for Pogi.

Kuss > Majka
Van Aert > McNulty.

And then Jumbo has always 1 extra. He needs to just hope Vinge has a bad day or Jumbo throws it tactically somehow.
Majka is much more dependable though. Prime Kuss could rival any climber, but 'Prime Kuss' goes MIA about as often as an elderly prostate patient needs to find a toilet.

TP is a slightly better TT'r on paper than Vingegaard but he's going to have to find a couple of minutes before the TT if he wants to win. This won't be a repeat of 2020. Next 2 stages will be brutal, and it may come down to fatigue on Thursday.
If he claws back a minute on the remaining MTFs, everything is still possible in a 40k TT. Ask Roglic. I don't think last year's TT is that relevant since Pog didn't need to go all out.

I am 100% Convinced that Tadej knows exactly how big of a gap he can have comfortably and win this thing. I think he also know Jonas was last year the only one to really match and drop him when Pogi was dominating... Pogi's been testing things this whole time with the team and taking notes. given that, I fully believe Tadej is enjoying not being in the lead, giving his friends a chance to win stages, while just keeping that 2 minute gap going.
In short, he will dominate the rest of this week, and really the only thing that could hold him back is the heat... which he hates, but he also seems the thrive in. Look if you took Wout and Jonas together, they'd have a chance, but the way tadej was at the start of this this season, I dont think now is the time he's gonna start fading. its his last time to be in white, and he always does great in it. So here's to an awesome week.
But lets be real, Im really just waiting to see him cheering for Urska in the motorhome when this is all over.
I also play a lot of videogames and like superhero movies.

• Haha
Reactions: Polarbear64
I prefer to see Pog take this than Vingo but after the first Pyrenean stage I am not optimistic on Pog’s chances. On one hand he keeps trying but he is still two minutes down, Vingegaard is no Thomas Voeckler and hasn’t looked troubled responding to every attack. But the 3rd week can break the elastic so it’s not over yet.

Reactions: Lui98
I prefer to see Pog take this than Vingo but after the first Pyrenean stage I am not optimistic on Pog’s chances. On one hand he keeps trying but he is still two minutes down, Vingegaard is no Thomas Voeckler and hasn’t looked troubled responding to every attack. But the 3rd week can break the elastic so it’s not over yet.
This tour has been affected by mishaps as much as performance to a great degree. The mishaps have taken away the Main Contenders' buffer for minor disaster to where almost any mechanical or slight crash could mean time. We're in the Pyrenees so the roads are less navigable, particularly for support. Vingo just needs to remember to crash on top of the softest part of Pogacar and get up first.

This tour has been affected by mishaps as much as performance to a great degree. The mishaps have taken away the Main Contenders' buffer for minor disaster to where almost any mechanical or slight crash could mean time. We're in the Pyrenees so the roads are less navigable, particularly for support. Vingo just needs to remember to crash on top of the softest part of Pogacar and get up first.
I know see Jonas fall on Pogi and bounce up like falling on a trampoline :p

Reactions: Polarbear64
Maybe McNulty can catch him if he falls off the mountain while going uphill.

I wonder what drove UAE to not bring the B team to the Tour and I'm actually wondering if it was arrogance.

I don't know but I am starting to think that they realized in first week that this team is rubbish and all attacking for extra seconds and small gaps was not entirely Pogi's idea.

They got away with it in 2020 when he was not primary focus of the oposition and he basically single handedly won 2021 TDF edition so I guess they thought TDF is a drive in a park with one explosive day ;)

Well no offense, Majka and Mcnulty have done their best but What team did they have? What help did they offer?

Ok they had bad luck but Tadej lost the tour because his team is a disaster.

they have so much money….

They saved some. Pogi will probably get less endorsements if he doesn't win TDF. Rebuilding mode on because TJV and even Ineos are miles ahead in team strenght department.

Despite having high belief in Pogi's individual strenght I think his TDF win is gone with the wind.

Last edited:
Well no offense, Majka and Mcnulty have done their best but What team did they have? What help did they offer?
Exactly. Majka actually positively surprised me and still when everyone was more or less well, Roglic, Kruijswijk and Kuss climbed better than him from JV.

Pogacar has to sit down with the team after this disaster and have a talk. I think he is perfectly in the position of demanding something like "guys, give me a useful team, or I will leave". Because its the 3rd year now they are providing a potential winner with a beyond awful support squad, while being a large budget team.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98
I don't know but I am starting to think that they realized in first week that this team is rubbish and all attacking for extra seconds and small gaps was not entirely Pogi's idea.

They got away with it in 2020 when he was not primary focus of the oposition and he basically single handedly won 2021 TDF edition so I guess they thought TDF is a drive in a park with one explosive day ;)
They saved some. Pogi will probably get less endorsements if he doesn't win TDF. Rebuilding mode on because TJV and even Ineos are miles ahead in team strenght department.

Despite having high belief in Pogi's individual strenght I think his TDF win is gone with the wind.
I don't think they ever had great recruitment. They just hit the jackpot with Pogacar and only then started to think about building a team around him for the long term. And even then they've been trying to get new superstars while not getting the very best domestiques.

Majka is a good signing
George Bennett didn't make the Jumbo Tour squad anymore
Marc Soler is a decent guy for the medium mountains but usually not good enough in the high mountains
Their flat domestiques are barely WT level riders.

Jumbo have been building a cohesive team for a while. While they have hit the jackpot with Rog, WvA and Vingegaard, the recruitment around that is really solid. Kuss is the best in the world at his specific role. Laporte and Van Hooydonck are trucks on the flat. And that's not even including Rohan Dennis who is one of the most versatile domestiques in the peloton.

Then there's race selection. Jumbo throw their entire GC team at the Tour, then they double most of them up for the Vuelta. Then in the Giro they sort of throw their hail mary's but their attitude there is flexible enough so that they can instantly switch gears to go for stage wins as well.

Reactions: Miha81
Yeah but even without covid and mechanicals his team has proven extremely weak. Point. While they have riders like Almeida preparing quietly for the Vuelta.

Even a guy as Formolo has always been proven extremely loyal and hardworking on his level.

they have guys as Ulissi and Covi. Maybe even an Ayuso?

Ackermann as a signing was completely ridiculous too to be honest.

Reactions: Roku

I think so as well.
At this point I'm just hoping he will put on a show just for entertainment without any expectation.

Reactions: Miha81

TRENDING THREADS