• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 407 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I wouldn't sleep on Ayuso, he lost a bit of hype last year after missing the Vuelta podium that he had gotten the year before but I don't think his numbers were any worse and he was still the best non-Jumbo despite spending a few months injured.

He is my fifth favourite for this year's Tour and it wouldn't surprise me if he finishes on the podium. I actually think his ceiling as a Grand Tour rider is a bit higher than Remco's.
To the bolded, this depends on if Remco is prepped in the best way and then delivers. I'm not convinced, yet, that Ayuso at his best would be better. Naturally I'll reasses when more evidence becomes available.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well, yes and no. Vingegaard dropped him 2 years in a row. No Vingegaard and he cruises to the win in each. Ofc prep was not ideal last year but no Vingegaard and he would have looked dominant.
haters are such a joy to watch. You forget how easily pog dropped vingegagrd in PN when he wasnt injured last year in fact Vingegaard has never beaten Pogacar when Pogacar didnt have a legitimate reason not to win(vingegaard in same position and circumstances wuldnt even be top 3 so stop the narrative choosing) Pogacar is the far best rider anyone thinking anything else ill put in the same section as the earth is flat category its at this point just that stupid...not a single GT or race have vingegaard outmatched pog when pog was fresh pog crushed him everytime vingegaard only won when pog wasnt able to train or beat himself vs rog and vinge, thats facts wether you like it or not.

I usually come in here to say a few things now and then and my latest reports are from Pog camp that hes stronger than last year prepare for something unique this season. The guy say pog somewhat in every test has become stronger so its really only a injury who can stop him again ofc when he rides the giro wins a 2-3 monuments again and maby loose the TDF cause riding the giro the same trolls as this ppantheer92 will still not able to see it for what it is :) (Always some ppl who ppl the earth is flat too...same ppl properly)

Have a nice week you all and i do believe Pog will win strade too with ease. Oh and also Van aert unfortunately this year too will only come second fiddle to MVDP hate or love it dont cry to the messenger. Bye.

haters are such a joy to watch. You forget how easily pog dropped vingegagrd in PN when he wasnt injured last year in fact Vingegaard has never beaten Pogacar when Pogacar didnt have a legitimate reason not to win(vingegaard in same position and circumstances wuldnt even be top 3 so stop the narrative choosing) Pogacar is the far best rider anyone thinking anything else ill put in the same section as the earth is flat category its at this point just that stupid...not a single GT or race have vingegaard outmatched pog when pog was fresh pog crushed him everytime vingegaard only won when pog wasnt able to train or beat himself vs rog and vinge, thats facts wether you like it or not.

I usually come in here to say a few things now and then and my latest reports are from Pog camp that hes stronger than last year prepare for something unique this season. The guy say pog somewhat in every test has become stronger so its really only a injury who can stop him again ofc when he rides the giro wins a 2-3 monuments again and maby loose the TDF cause riding the giro the same trolls as this ppantheer92 will still not able to see it for what it is :) (Always some ppl who ppl the earth is flat too...same ppl properly)

Have a nice week you all and i do believe Pog will win strade too with ease. Oh and also Van aert unfortunately this year too will only come second fiddle to MVDP hate or love it dont cry to the messenger. Bye.
Put somme commas in the text. When i finished reading your post, i was feeling like Pogacar on la Loze "i'm gone, i'm dead".

Last edited:
8h8oec.jpg

It's always nice to see guys like vwpe tells us how it really is.

I think it would be very refreshing if a non-injured nor sick rider said that he wasn't currently recording his best numbers ever.
guys i worte on my phone walking the streets forget about the commas.. cheerish the insight knowledge from the peleton.

Yes you are right not everyone here like the reality tho it seems i remember that from some wva takes last year and also now vingegaard. Not everyone really like how it is sometimes, like its me who make the scrips... its not i simply rely on the facts from results.

I do know very much from the peleton tho appriciate that guys and forget the commas :) Have a wonderfull week everyone and cheerish the best cyclist that has ever mounted a bike, Pogacar and cont urself lucky you was the one who could witness him( NO NOT the greatest of all time its a difference betwen best and greatest just in case someone gets hurt)

And while ur at it give some love to MVDP hes about to win another flandern, fun fact i rode two light traning rides with mvdp and hes more motivated than ever with his rainbow jersey. And for the ones who think i hate wva i dont throw love to him too all thought hes not mvdp freak lvl hes very rare and were lucky to witness him too. All love now guys before the season start. All the best cyclist fans.

I have insight into Pogačar's training from 2/24/2024 at training peaks, his FTP is 431 or 6.58w/kg, his zone 2 interval of 17 minutes was 5.33w/kg or 349w and his current weight is 65.5kg, I can with great certainty to tell you that this season we will see the best pogačar ever because if his numbers are like this now when this is his base where he has yet to get a peek of his form for the giro and after the altitude camp for the tour after which the plan is to be at 63.5kg, let the games begin

FTP of 1 hour, or 20 minutes? I have that doubt, because i searched to know more about FTP some time ago, but some articles says that FTP is an sustained effort during 20 minutes, other articles says that it's during 1 hour.
Probably somebody here knows better about that matter.
It’s max sustained power over 1 hour. However, since 1 hour is inconveniently long time window to measure FTP, there is a supposed correlation between max 20 minute power average and FTP with FTP being 0.95 times best-20-min-power-average. That’s why FTP is often measured inside 20 minute time window.

guys i worte on my phone walking the streets forget about the commas.. cheerish the insight knowledge from the peleton.

Yes you are right not everyone here like the reality tho it seems i remember that from some wva takes last year and also now vingegaard. Not everyone really like how it is sometimes, like its me who make the scrips... its not i simply rely on the facts from results.

I do know very much from the peleton tho appriciate that guys and forget the commas :) Have a wonderfull week everyone and cheerish the best cyclist that has ever mounted a bike, Pogacar and cont urself lucky you was the one who could witness him( NO NOT the greatest of all time its a difference betwen best and greatest just in case someone gets hurt)

And while ur at it give some love to MVDP hes about to win another flandern, fun fact i rode two light traning rides with mvdp and hes more motivated than ever with his rainbow jersey. And for the ones who think i hate wva i dont throw love to him too all thought hes not mvdp freak lvl hes very rare and were lucky to witness him too. All love now guys before the season start. All the best cyclist fans.
Love you too man!

Best poster on this forum. Nice to hear from you again. Cheers!

It’s max sustained power over 1 hour. However, since 1 hour is inconveniently long time window to measure FTP, there is a supposed correlation between max 20 minute power average and FTP with FTP being 0.95 times best-20-min-power-average. That’s why FTP is often measured inside 20 minute time window.

Except that FTP is not guaranteed to be sustainable for a hour (if calculated from 20- or 30- minute effort). It's individual and it could be sustained i.e. for 40 minutes or for 60 minutes. In case of pros it's probably closer to an hour. Still 6.58 w/kg FTP is incredible, even if measured/calculated at a sea level.

Last edited:
Except that FTP is not guaranteed to be sustainable for a hour (if calculated from 20 minute effort). It's individual and it could be sustained i.e. for 40 minutes or for 60 minutes. In case of pros it's probably closer to an hour. Still 6.58 w/kg FTP is incredible, even if measured/calculated at a sea level.
Of course. This correlation is very loose IMO - that's why I emphasised it's "supposed". The quotient (FTP / 20-min-max-avg-p) varies from person to person and probably even varies for the same athlete based on their fitness level. It seems intuitive that better fitness means bigger quotient...

Every definition of FTP is arbitrary. There is nothing magical about the 60 minute time span. FTP is just a number used to help guide structured training. It has been proposed to derive this number from a 60 minute test, a 20 minute test with a very specific pre-test interval, blood lactate testing, a ramp test, or several other ways.

But to answer the surprisingly clueless @Froome , yes, one hour. His max 20 minute power would be something 5-10% higher than that.

Every definition of FTP is arbitrary. There is nothing magical about the 60 minute time span. FTP is just a number used to help guide structured training. It has been proposed to derive this number from a 60 minute test, a 20 minute test with a very specific pre-test interval, blood lactate testing, a ramp test, or several other ways.

But to answer the surprisingly clueless @Froome , yes, one hour. His max 20 minute power would be something 5-10% higher than that.
37 minutes and 22 seconds is optimal for Teddy's body type.

• Wow

At the end of a stage, some cyclists are unable to achieve their maximum FTP in a 20-minute effort/climb, unlike in training, where they can achieve their FTP when they are fresh.

Talking about Pogacar, he can't do 6.58 w/kg in races during an hour, not even close(nobody can), but he can much higher than that in a 20 min effort, in low altitude.

At the end of a stage, some cyclists are unable to achieve their maximum FTP in a 20-minute effort/climb, unlike in training, where they can achieve their FTP when they are fresh.

Talking about Pogacar, he can't do 6.58 w/kg in races during an hour, not even close(nobody can), but he can much higher than that in a 20 min effort, in low altitude.
all measures of FTP assume sea level

max 20 minute power is 5-10% over FTP.

Pog is not necessarily at peak fitness or race weight.

This insider scoop could be total hogwash.

Lots of "if"s here.

...surprisingly :)

all measures of FTP assume sea level

max 20 minute power is 5-10% over FTP.

Pog is not necessarily at peak fitness or race weight.

This insider scoop could be total hogwash.

Lots of "if"s here.
I understand that, i never saw a rider doing 6.58 w/kg in race during an hour on a climb. Maybe him and other top riders can do that fresh in training, but in races i never saw something like that.

"Max 20 minutes power is "5-10%" over FTP", well looking on engineer frederic portoleau calculations, he did 6.7 w/kg during almost 20 min on col marie blanque last year, 6.6 w/kg during 24 minutes on peyresourde in 2020, maybe fresh in training he can even do better, it makes sense on this perspective.