• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 412 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Is Evenepoel racing MSR? If he is then that will be great for Pogi as he will be the best Domestique Tadej could ask for. However, I think it's unlikely for him to win as we saw that he was so far away from dropping van der Poel last year that he was dropped himself. I don't see how attacking earlier will help because then the riders would just be less tired when he attacks and Pogi will probably wear himself out trying to drop them like last year. Having Evenepoel there would help if he attacks first but even so, I can't see it being enough. Although if he is significantly stronger then maybe. I think his best chance is if the weather is awful and there is crosswinds and the race gets split earlier on. Then there is a lot more fatigue and some riders will miss the split. As for Paris Roubaix, Pogi trained specifically for Flanders last year and I think that is close to his limit in terms of type of races. I think that is too flat for him. unless he totally trains differently

Is a Cipressa attack suicide at MSR?
Bruyneel said in a podcast last year the last person to successfully do this was in the 1990's (I think. And I can't remember who he said). And strongly suggested it was because of that 'era... wink wink' and that it could not be done in today's peloton. Everyone too fast, too strong, and a group would catch that person on the straight before the poggio.

Reactions: Poursuivant
Attack Poggio when other big riders are boxed in probably, so first few corners maybe even. This obviously also depends on positioning and wind, etc. It's just very hard to imagine Pogacar straight up dropping MvdP if the latter is right on the suckwheel.

MVP is normally #1 favourite at MSR due to his cycling assets (superb explosivity and descending). But doesn't he need some races before he hits his peak form? MSR is his first road race of the season AFAIK and Pogi is already in red hot form.

MVP is normally #1 favourite at MSR due to his cycling assets (superb explosivity and descending). But doesn't he need some races before he hits his peak form? MSR is his first road race of the season AFAIK and Pogi is already in red hot form.
Well, MVDP did ride MSR as his first race of the season in 2022 and he finished 3rd (He was not in red hot form though. He was just following wheels). Different conditions though. In 2022, he was coming off that back issue from his Olympics MTB crash. This time, he's trying to peak again after being in red hot form throughout the CX season.

Reactions: Sandisfan and jono
Bruyneel said in a podcast last year the last person to successfully do this was in the 1990's (I think. And I can't remember who he said). And strongly suggested it was because of that 'era... wink wink' and that it could not be done in today's peloton. Everyone too fast, too strong, and a group would catch that person on the straight before the poggio.

1996 I think was the last time that a group formed on the Cipressa stayed away to the finish. But that was a group of 4 ultimately and not a single person.

Edit: also seems like the chase was very unorganized for whatever reason

At some point in the future, probably. But not in a Giro-Tour year. He looks thinner than normally early in the season. He already looks like during TdF, they may have found a way to make him thinner than ever for the double.
Take note, all would-be challengers, this Teddy is the leanest and meanest yet. They must have figured a drop in body fat percentage, without losing power, ups his power to weight ratio; as the only way to beat Vingegaard in July. Although it's only March, it looks like they have succeeded in the upgraded version of Tadej. Looking forward to what further feats he may pull off in the future.

Take note, all would-be challengers, this Teddy is the leanest and meanest yet. They must have figured a drop in body fat percentage, without losing power, ups his power to weight ratio; as the only way to beat Vingegaard in July. Although it's only March, it looks like they have succeeded in the upgraded version of Tadej. Looking forward to what further feats he may pull off in the future.
They used liposuction on his face ... fat deposits there don't help performance.

Hold my drink, I'll be going now

Magnificent ride today, nothing really else to say, just watch the master at work.

GHtFEFMX0AA8Yx0

I don't disagree, I just don't think he has to be at 100% to have a chance to win it. PR involves so much luck that doing it 3 times at 95% preparation is probably better than once at 100%.
I have the feeling that, like with Van der Poel riding Lombardia for the win, Pogacar riding Paris Roubaix is more an idea in the head of fans then one in the head of the rider himself..

Great performance at strade. It was not in the least bit surprising, attacking the same place as last time, for the same solo exhibition (bit extra as race changed) still non of the other genetic freaks there to make it a little interesting.

Looking forward to seeing him against his "real" competitors.

I have the feeling that, like with Van der Poel riding Lombardia for the win, Pogacar riding Paris Roubaix is more an idea in the head of fans then one in the head of the rider himself..

I'm sure Pogi wants to have a shot at Roubaix. He can try it with his standard early spring body mass from previous years (i.e. 67 kg) or he can gain even more wattage by approaching 70 kg. In this case Vuelta would be the most feasible GT to target - he will have more time to trim down and he surely wants to win the Vuelta at some point anyway.

Reactions: KZD and AmRacer
Heroic, epic but boring ride at Strade Bianche. Normally you wonder about why a competitor is throwing away his chances if attacking 80km from the finish line. Seeing this from Tadej I just thought: Ok, race is over. Everyone else is riding for 2nd place. There wasnt even a doubt in my head about him staying away 80km from the peloton, or grupetto as Pidcock described them. Impressive ride but deciding a race with 80km to go is a bit boring. Broadcast just started. Come on man, let us have some fun watching...

Reactions: Krzysztof_O
One trend that I have been noticing with Pogačar in one day races is that he is winning them in an increasingly impressive fashion

- Liège 2021 he won a 5 men sprint and actually struggled a bit in the uphill rise after Roche Aux Faucons

- Lombardia 2021 he actually went solo on Passo di Ganda but then legend Masnada brought him back and Pogi had to beat him in the sprint

- Strade 2022 solo on Monte Sante Marie but finishes 'just' some 40 seconds ahead of Valverde.

- Grand Prix Montreal 2022 wins a five men sprint

- Lombardia 2022 exchanges blows with Mas before beating him in the sprint

- Ronde 2023 drops two time winner Van der Poel in the last Oude Kwaremont then solos to the finish with around 20 seconds to spare

-Amstel 2023 goes solo some 30km from the finish line after dropping Pidcock and Healy gets a little help along the way to beat Healy by around 40/50? seconds

- Flèche 2023 this one was just an uphill sprint up Mur d'Huy as usual

- Lombardia 2023 drops a reduced group on the first of the descent of Passo di Ganda, wins with around a minute.

- Strade 2024 drops everyone on Monte Sante Marie 81km from the finish line to win with more than 2:30 minutes.

This shows that not only Pogačar is one of the best stage racers of this generation, he is also one of the best one day riders of the last decades, dare I say, and it seems that he is getting even better at them so I am convinced yesterday was the beginning of a legendary season.