• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 507 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Im not giong into a debate on that matter with you since i simply dont know much deeply on that matter. When I say evolution i also mean gear, training, data and everyhing from science to tubes.

Im no expert on human evolution from body perspective alone i might very well be wrong there 100%
Granted, knowledge evolves. But it’s not the only moving part in this machinery. Regulations also evolve.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Granted, knowledge evolves. But it’s not the only moving part in this machinery. Regulations also evolve.
Thats true aswell.

Also this is just a thought but i also believe as more people do cycling now than then the level pushes forward simply beacuse of that aswell the level goes up in general but that doesnt implie so much to Indurain as he was obvious a unicorn. But maby more so in general terms of the level in the peleton. Besides from the data, science and everything else that has evolved 10x times.

For instance they start very young now im not sure if that was the case back then, it might be

Pantani did 7,4w/kg for 23 minutes?

Yes, managed to find the stage,

I can't find the profile so not sure what kind of efforts they were doing beforehand, I know Ventoux was a tt and the Hautacam time of Riis wasn't a hard stage beforehand but even if this was a unipuerto and Vingegaard/Pog railed it from the bottom they probably wouldn't beat this record.

It's always important to contextualise though, there are British part timers nobody has ever heard of doing 7.2-7.3 w/kg for 12 minute hill climbs nowadays but controls are thin on the ground and they are sole climbs, imo this is the greatest display of all time;

Pog did when he obliterated the Peyresourde record

Nah, it was around 1845 m/h. The problem with Lo Port is that it's an extreme outlier in VAM/duration chart and reached by multiple riders on top of that. Even Vingo on MB didn't achieve this VAM. One, dominant guy reaching these numbers (as it usually was in other cases of thermonuclear performances) would be more believable actually. That's why I think a ~20 meters elevation error is more likely.

Last edited:
Nah, it was around 1845 m/h. The problem with Lo Port is that it's an extreme outlier in VAM/duration chart and reached by multiple riders on top of that. Even Vingo on MB didn't achieve this VAM. One, dominant guy reaching these numbers (as it usually was in other cases of thermonuclear performances) would be more believable actually. That's why I think a ~20 meters elevation error is more likely.
Nah it's just that people underestimate how the W/kg riders can do when they're absolutely fresh. Plus for such a stage I think riders are gonna be slightly lower weight becuase they need to eat less and should retain less fluid as a result of that.

nothing this Swart is not smarter, if Pog had experts from Visma, Bora, Ineos, then it would not be fair, it would be like prime Jordan playing against high school students, the only thing that Pog can be satisfied with is that he connected with Javier Sola, who in general does not belong in the UAE with the other charlatans

in any case Pog still follows San Millan on twitter. they haven't cut ties at all

Probably just a case of being on his own with no teammates around and Ineos happened to be there as well. Makes sense to ride with them for a day or so rather than on his own. Especially, I guess, if it is just a day for a recovery ride or for volume.

It just seems more fun.
Yea, I believe he is by himself. Apparently, some of the UAE riders that are going to the Giro don't like altitude and the rest are racing at the moment.

He was riding with the Jayco girls the day after so maybe he is just bored?

Yea, I believe he is by himself. Apparently, some of the UAE riders that are going to the Giro don't like altitude and the rest are racing at the moment.

He was riding with the Jayco girls the day after so maybe he is just bored?
Yes, probably nothing more to it than that.

Im sure he has a lovely time with the Jayco girls and his girlfriend, but accompanying the Ineos guys for a day of cycling with fun conversation was probably not the worst idea.

Latest posts