• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 579 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hearing the rumours about UAE telling Poga to ease off to give other teams a chance to win is lowkey killing the excitement I had for the remainder of this giro.
If this means Pogacar can win this Giro and still leaves himself with adequate reserves to be competitive at the Tour deep into the 3rd week then so be it.

For me the excitement of seeing someone achieve the Giro/TdF double for the first time in 26 years exceeds what happens this Giro.

But I think the lack of genuine competition is the biggest killer of excitement this Giro . That’s not UAE’s or Pogacar’s fault.

Last edited:
Not sure how to take this quote but sounds like he's been ill as well? Perhaps a factor in UAE chilling out a bit.

“I’ve seen a lot of guys getting sick, but I’m getting better. I’m almost OK,” Pogačar said after the stage Thursday. “In the peloton on the day before the rest day, there were a lot of guys coughing and snorting, so I hope they are all right.”

Reactions: Poursuivant
Not sure how to take this quote but sounds like he's been ill as well? Perhaps a factor in UAE chilling out a bit.

“I’ve seen a lot of guys getting sick, but I’m getting better. I’m almost OK,” Pogačar said after the stage Thursday. “In the peloton on the day before the rest day, there were a lot of guys coughing and snorting, so I hope they are all right.”
He said so a couple of days ago, that he’s not sure if he’s caught a cold or if it’s just allergies…

Reactions: Sandisfan
His skin has certainly flared up and face looking a bit more bloated than his 13 year old usual complexion, but that's to be expected, allergies, pollen, lowering immune system now past the first week etc.
As for the peloton asking fir gifts, this seems mostly the media claiming it based on Pogacar's comments, I can't say I've read a single statement from a rider or a team claiming Pogacar should gift them anything. Definitely should ignore Lantern Rouge too, those guys get most of what they claim is happening wrong / saying it for hits anyway. How can they possibly be correct when they're not waiting for the team and rider comments after each stage but going live or doing a podcast. They're not even there, they are passive TV fans like any fans so generally not going to know much more than us anyway or can only state the obvious and often be wrong about it.

As for the peloton asking fir gifts, this seems mostly the media claiming it based on Pogacar's comments, I can't say I've read a single statement from a rider or a team claiming Pogacar should gift them anything.
Why would any other rider say that to the media? Would just look like a sour loser. It makes much more sense the DSs are threatning UAE behind closed doors.

His skin has certainly flared up and face looking a bit more bloated than his 13 year old usual complexion, but that's to be expected, allergies, pollen, lowering immune system now past the first week etc.
As for the peloton asking fir gifts, this seems mostly the media claiming it based on Pogacar's comments, I can't say I've read a single statement from a rider or a team claiming Pogacar should gift them anything. Definitely should ignore Lantern Rouge too, those guys get most of what they claim is happening wrong / saying it for hits anyway. How can they possibly be correct when they're not waiting for the team and rider comments after each stage but going live or doing a podcast. They're not even there, they are passive TV fans like any fans so generally not going to know much more than us anyway or can only state the obvious and often be wrong about it.

Lantern Rouge based their discussion on printed comments from the previous day.

But I think the lack of genuine competition is the biggest killer of excitement this Giro . That’s not UAE’s or Pogacar’s fault.
Was there ever going to be competition at this giro? Everyone knew what was going to happen. The hype around this giro was to see the destruction Pogacar would inflict on this race and the amount of stages he would add ontop of his maglia rosa.

But no, UAE has other ideas than letting him chase greatness.

Was there ever going to be competition at this giro? Everyone knew what was going to happen. The hype around this giro was to see the destruction Pogacar would inflict on this race and the amount of stages he would add ontop of his maglia rosa.

Due to Vinegegaard's fall they now see the opportunity for a different kind of greatness => the double. So they focus on that now.

Reactions: SHAD0W93

He's got 3 stages already, I think he can win 2/3 more. I assume winning ~25% of stages in a single GT isn't bad result.

Due to Vinegegaard's fall they now see the opportunity for a different kind of greatness => the double. So they focus on that now.
Nice try😁 Double was always a goal - go check their statements. It has nothing to do with Vingegaards fall. In fact - if Pog really was so much afraid of Vinge, he would cancel his Giro and “sneak” a Tour victory while the boss is not there. Yet he risks losing it with the double?