• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 612 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
my man is at the same time arguing,pog will be tired week 3 and its bad to stop for a week.he just rode giro,lmao.
He tries to denigrate Pogi all the time. I don't understand why he says things like "it's never good to stop one week" when he doesn't have a clue about training compared to Pogacar's trainer. He was probably doing recovery rides during this week and will start his altitude camp sooner than later.

Pog: " Yates will be my wingman, Ayuso & Almeida are super domestiques for the mountains. Soler & Sivakov can support me both on the flat and in the mountains. And then we have Politt & Wellens, it scares me a bit!"
Vingegaard will be ready. After his hospital release, he started riding on the bike immediately. If he's comfortable, he'll be able to start in a good shape. He has to reach his race weight, but I don't think that's a problem.It's a tough start in Italy. I have to think about our approach.
The final weekend is brutal. Evenepoel will go all-in in the opening weekend, Roglic will play the waiting game and strike in the final weekend."
One helluva tdf coming.

He also described his current state, which indicates a possible fatigue factor:

Last year after the World Championships I was 10, now I would say I am maybe 6 or 7 [tired out of 10]. Mentally better, physically a little destroyed but it evens out a little bit.

More of his recent comments here:

He also described his current state, which indicates a possible fatigue factor:

Last year after the World Championships I was 10, now I would say I am maybe 6 or 7 [tired out of 10]. Mentally better, physically a little destroyed but it evens out a little bit.

More of his recent comments here:

People are really underestimate how tough is to win Giro-Tour.

He never seemed like the type to sandbag about that sort of thing in the media to be fair, Glasgow he looked like he was about to collapse on the podium, that course was masochistic.
who can blame him after riding a tour without prep and broken wrist - every other rider wouldnt start the tour in that circumstances with the GC as the goal. Then he rode it every stage emptied himself. Not exactly the best circumstances for him vs the rest of his competiitors who rode the tour as prep for glasgow.

And then the WC route like you said was MASOCHISTIC too with all circumstaces and prep towards that WC, the bronze was extremely impressive I found on that course!

Just read a few pages of people speculating Pogacar would get taken out of the Vuelta in 2019. He won 3 stages and finished on the podium in that same race where he was supposed to stagehunt a bit, ride for Aru, maybe help Gaviria and leave after 12 days. Less than one year after he won the Tour

Lmao CN
I went through the first few pages and found Logic posting a nice interview with Philipsen about Pogačar possibly winning a GT in the future:
Philipsen on Pogacar: https://sporza.be/nl/2019/05/20/philipsen-over-pogacar/

Google Translated:

Philipsen: "Pogacar has the qualities to win a GT someday"

The Slovenian super talent Tadej Pogacar (UAE Team Emirates) crowned itself as the youngest ever winner of a stage race in the WorldTour last weekend. "Unlike other classification men, he is not afraid of a peloton," says Pogacar's teammate Jasper Philipsen.

Philipsen: "It all just happens with him"

The name Tadej Pogacar probably caused few bells to ring at the start of the season. 20-year-old Slovenian has only been in the WorldTour since this year, but came in at the big gate.

Pogacar won the Tour of the Algarve, became 6th in the Tour of the Basque Country and won the Tour of California last weekend. With its 20 springs, it is thus the youngest ever winner of a stage race in the WorldTour.

"I was not completely surprised by his performance," says Jasper Philipsen about his teammate at UAE. "I knew that Pogi (that's what we call him in the team) had a lot to offer. But that he finishes in such a way is very clever."

"No one will deny that Tadej is a super talent. What he has already shown this season is quite unseen. It is all just happening to him, it is incredible."

"He surprised me the first time in the Tour of the Algarve, where he won the overall victory. In the Tour of California he surprised me again. Pogi has already had a pretty tough spring, but he consumes those many races good."

"If he lives for it, he can someday win a GT"

Philipsen is particularly impressed by his ability to climb. "Pogacar can kick his pedals enormously hard for a long time. Unlike other classification men, he is not afraid of a peloton either. Pogacar is able to pull his plan well, so we don't have to guide him quickly through the peloton."

"Many good youth riders who make the switch to the pros often need some time to adjust. But Pogacar is one of those who are immediately there. You need a lot of talent for that. That the coaching within the team is very good, will also play a role. "

Is Pogacar a future winner of the Tour, Giro or Vuelta? "He certainly has the qualities to win a big round. If he stays there for life and work like this, then that is certainly possible."

"Pogacar will certainly not start to float. He is a normal, cool and down-to-earth guy."

Philipsen: "If I maintain condition, results will follow"

Jasper Philipsen himself was also in the spotlight last week during the Tour of California. "I have been close to a stage victory a few times," says our young countryman. "But I can't blame myself much."

"If I can maintain this condition, the results will follow. My next appointments are the Hammer Series and the Tour of Limburg. After that there are also a few one-day courses in Belgium on the program such as Across the Hageland, the Heist Arrow and the Eleven Cities Round .

I went through the first few pages and found Logic posting a nice interview with Philipsen about Pogačar possibly winning a GT in the future:

It's a bit sad the thread was only opened after his Tour de l'Avenir win, otherwise there could have been some even more hilariously cautious takes to look back on.

Oh well, I guess Gigs made up for that with post-2020 Dauphiné hot take.

Just read a few pages of people speculating Pogacar would get taken out of the Vuelta in 2019. He won 3 stages and finished on the podium in that same race where he was supposed to stagehunt a bit, ride for Aru, maybe help Gaviria and leave after 12 days. Less than one year after he won the Tour

Lmao CN
Doesn't beat the "Pogacar is riding for Aru" crap that UAE were selling in 2020

Lmao CN
The official team stance was that Aru was GC leader and Pog was there to support him and see how far he could take it.
Like you said, Vuelta 2019. It was a different reality back then, and imho quite a normal discussion. But hindsight 20/20. Before his win in Avenir one year earlier, nobody was talking about Pogacar. Bernal winning the Tour at the age of 22 was already seen as an outlier, and even he didn't podium a GT before that. Pog's results weren't of that order that you would expect him to podium his first GT a week before turning 21.