• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 627 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I hope your right but im still confused. It just doesnt seem to be a thing to fake news about. Naturally im very curious if he missed 3 days of the altitude camp, 5-6 days or anyone at all. Wish someone could comfirm, that article seems to be to wild to joke about that something like that.
Mate, u're complicating ur life thinking too much. How can a person as famous as tadej staying in slovenia(where his grandfather lives) 3-6 days can get away without being noticed by a single person in todays social media... or was he off the bike for those days totally compromising his tdf. As every fan of pog in slovenia knows he isn't defending his national title because of the prep at altitude. Would it not rise questions if he was there on those days and isn't defending his title

Mate, u're complicating ur life thinking too much. How can a person as famous as tadej staying in slovenia(where his grandfather lives) 3-6 days can get away without being noticed by a single person in todays social media... or was he off the bike for those days totally compromising his tdf. As every fan of pog in slovenia knows he isn't defending his national title because of the prep at altitude. Would it not rise questions if he was there on those days and isn't defending his title
I couldnt agree more still wierd for that article to claim that hence why naturally curious about it if its true or not. I agree and hope your right.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It used to be that the Giro in the legs fostered deep form in the Tour, but everything has so radically changed since then. Pantani started the 98 Tour decidedly off key, but then rose to insurmountable heights. Hinault started the 85 Tour flying and was strong throughout, but then Lemond, who also rode the Giro at a high level, was in the end papabile. Indurain was on top form in both GTs when he won them in the same year consecutively. So the precedents are there.
There are some underlying conditions that allowed at least two of them to maintain "form". Another reason why it is presently a difficult task.

In 2 days we will know if his grandfather died or not.
Other thing I would like to say, he is no longer a massive favourite to win the Tour for bookies. Vingegaard's presence slowed down his odd.
What were the betting odds before? I just checked a few sites and Pogacar is still the overwhelming favorite? And I get the impression news on Vingegaard's outlook isn't getting more promising in terms of him being at Tour winning level after all he has suffered?

As for Pog's grandfather, that is sad if true. But such losses can also motivate elite sportspersons. I think it would more likely be a positive rather than a negative.

The below story was posted yesterday.

Pogacar 3/4
Vingegaard 5/2
Roglic 9/1

So Pog is still a massive favorite.

What were the betting odds before? I just checked a few sites and Pogacar is still the overwhelming favorite? And I get the impression news on Vingegaard's outlook isn't getting more promising in terms of him being in Tor winning level after all he has suffered?

As for Pog's grandfather, that is sad if true. But such losses can also motivate elite spokespersons. I think it would more likely be a positive rather than a negative.

The below story was posted yesterday.

Pogacar 3/4
Vingegaard 5/2
Roglic 9/1

So Pog is still a massive favorite.

His odd was 1.30 after the Giro and now is 1.61. It increased a lot

Reactions: Sandisfan
They did but he's still odds-on favourite to win, still a big favourite. It's understandable that Vingo's presence decreased his chances vs one month ago when his participation was doubtful.
He still is the big favourite but his odd was similar to the one he had before the Giro. Now he is at 1.61, a lot bigger. This means they don't think it be a walk in the park, similar to what happened in the Giro.

Last edited:
Reactions: scribers
Without going into the clinic at first chance, here is another reason why double was much more frequent in before 2000s.

Since the end of giro was considerably closer to the start of tour, it was more possible to do it as a single "peak".
Thats why its said pogs attempt this year was carefully planned. He himself said his level will likely improve for the tour suggesting he didn't quite reached his peak in giro. Imagine doing a negative split of 6.9w/kg for 13 minutes on foscagno altitude and it's not ur best level yet🥺

2018 was the year to do Giro-Tour. 6 weeks between them
Well we had Froom and Dumoulin try in 2018 with no luck.

Here you can see how many days were between the two GTs when the double was successful:

Fausto Coppi 1949 - 18 days
Fausto Coppi 1952 - 17 days
Jacques Anquetil 1964 - 15 days
Eddy Merckx 1970 - 16 days
Eddy Merckx 1972 - 21 days
Bernard Hinault 1982 - 26 days
Bernard Hinault 1985 - 19 days
Miguel Indurain 1992 - 20 days
Miguel Indurain 1993 - 20 days
Marco Pantani 1998 - 34 days
???Tadej Pogačar 2024 - 34 days???

If history teaches as anything is that when there is more than 3 weeks inbetween Giro and TDF is very hard to win the double. Even if there are 6 weeks inbetween the two that is not enough time for you to rest and than reach your top form again so what you need to do is hold your top form from Giro to the end of TDF.

I'd say it is easier to hold your peak form for 8-9 weeks than it is for 10+.

Well we had Froom and Dumoulin try in 2018 with no luck.

Here you can see how many days were between the two GTs when the double was successful:

Fausto Coppi 1949 - 18 days
Fausto Coppi 1952 - 17 days
Jacques Anquetil 1964 - 15 days
Eddy Merckx 1970 - 16 days
Eddy Merckx 1972 - 21 days
Bernard Hinault 1982 - 26 days
Bernard Hinault 1985 - 19 days
Miguel Indurain 1992 - 20 days
Miguel Indurain 1993 - 20 days
Marco Pantani 1998 - 34 days
???Tadej Pogačar 2024 - 34 days???

If history teaches as anything is that when there is more than 3 weeks inbetween Giro and TDF is very hard to win the double. Even if there are 6 weeks inbetween the two that is not enough time for you to rest and than reach your top form again so what you need to do is hold your top form from Giro to the end of TDF.

I'd say it is easier to hold your peak form for 8-9 weeks than it is for 10+.
So agree. Always stated the double presents far more issues than X's and O's and history dont lie when its this clear, I believe its far more complicated than many understand. 1 otherwice ppl woulda done it far more ,attempted it i mean by that and 2. ofc been succesful, im curious how much performance wice one loose and I suspect at one point the body just dont recover at the normal rate it usually does and then its just a cripple effect from there..