• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Rare interview with Tadej on french tv:

View: https://youtu.be/gAsp2tHZgS0

He discusses Dumoulin’s comments saying that Dumoulin could have finished closer if he had changed bike, that he beat him on all other stages ans that Dumoulin was not in his greatest form last year.

His mum was planning to take him out of cycling because she thought at a certain age the doping starts
I see here that Dumo also had a helmet to small in that TDF TT; I guess they tested this in the wind tunnel

Reactions: Sandisfan
Not a bad view

E2gQDeIWYAUOugl

With finish in Tignes or another ski station in that area? Seems good. I guess Tignes is the only option though.
Val d'Isere is also a bigger ski resort, that would be a straight forward downhill finish.

One could descent further down and have Côte de Montvalezan from Saint Foiy all the way up until you hit the Petite Saint-Bernard roadd before a downhill finish in Bourg-Saint-Maurice, if you want to have it as a final mountain stage.

Tadej is probably peaking for the most important race of the season - the Tour of Slovenia. He may be a bit flat at the Tour.

True. Tour of Slovenia is a much harder race to win. After all... Pogačar raced Tour de France once - and won it. But he has raced Tour of Slovenia three times, yet never finished on the podium. So he should peak for it if he wants to have any chance!

I think Tadej needs some racing to get fully into his rythm (as opposed to Roglic). The evidence is UAE 2020 and 2021. Ok, he won this year but not in as convincing manner as he could have, had he been in his top form. The we have Tour de l'Ain and Cirterium du Dauphine where he was nowhere near Roglič. The beginning of his Vuelta 2019 campaign was also not very convicing.

Actually, there could be two reasons for that now that I think about it. Either he needs a substatntial warmup before he reaches his top form or it's just attrition from the racing that affects others much more than him. Though if the latter was true, then he woun't be winning so many 1 week stage races because they are too short for others to feel real attrition.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I think Tadej needs some racing to get fully into his rythm (as opposed to Roglic). The evidence is UAE 2020 and 2021. Ok, he won this year but not in as convincing manner as he could have, had he been in his top form. The we have Tour de l'Ain and Cirterium du Dauphine where he was nowhere near Roglič. The beginning of his Vuelta 2019 campaign was also not very convicing.

Actually, there could be two reasons for that now that I think about it. Either he needs a substatntial warmup before he reaches his top form or it's just attrition from the racing that affects others much more than him. Though if the latter was true, then he woun't be winning so many 1 week stage races because they are too short for others to feel real attrition.
I believe that is what I heard the medical staff of UAE saying, that his lactic acid was much lower so that explains why he seemingly does not get tired at the end of a grand tour.

That and probably a very big dose of talent which also lets him win one week stage races and classics as LBL.

Roglic on the other hand seems to be getting off days during the third week of grand tours. Maybe that is why he does not race prior? But then again, he has indeed shown great form directly after altitude, which would mean he would be strongest the first 10 days. If he can make enough difference in that timespan?

I agree that Tadej needs racing more than Primoz (regarding reaching top form). The latter is razor-sharp straight after training camps.

As for the second part, 3-week endurance is surely Tadej's strong part but his late GT parformances would be outstanding regardless if the oposition was tired or not: he set PDBF record (about 1860 m/h of VAM) despite changing bikes, intense first half of the TT and 20 days of racing in his legs (this performance was comparable to record-breaking Peyresourde ride which was much earlier in the race). His 40-km solo ride at Vuelta'19 was very impressive as well.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS