• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 65 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pogačar confirmed, local media, he is a bit disappointed Polanc isn't on the Tour roster. All in all i agree that this was a rather strange decision UAE made.
That’s really odd. You would think that the defending champion with great form and current favourite would have a big hand in picking the rest of the team to support his yellow jersey bid.

Polanc would indeed be useful as a tempo machine on the flat. Weird decision.

The biggest challenge for Pogacar might be to beat the trains of Ineos and Jumbo. If he attacks on the Colombière or the Ventoux they can stay together and reel him in before the finish. If he attacks on Val Louron or Tourmalet they might reel him in before the final climb. Even on the unsteep Tignes it won't be obvious to get away. That leaves only two MTFs long and steep enough for a serious attack: Col du Portet and Luz-Ardiden. In other words he'll need to do well in those flat time trials and avoid time loss in transitional stages.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Moral of the story. Don't bust your chops and pure your hart out working for your team leader at UAE. That will only make you sit at home and watch the Tour on the telly.

yeah that was basically what they expected from Polanc: make you sure you are ready to captain Tadej around in the tour. He did everything right and still….this must be a huge blow.

Polanc was also absent at Tadejs criterium race.

I am almost sure Tadej hit his brakes during the last lap last thursday so to maybe give Polanc something.

• Wow

The biggest challenge for Pogacar might be to beat the trains of Ineos and Jumbo. If he attacks on the Colombière or the Ventoux they can stay together and reel him in before the finish. If he attacks on Val Louron or Tourmalet they might reel him in before the final climb. Even on the unsteep Tignes it won't be obvious to get away. That leaves only two MTFs long and steep enough for a serious attack: Col du Portet and Luz-Ardiden. In other words he'll need to do well in those flat time trials and avoid time loss in transitional stages.
If the trains can reel him in on Ventoux then he wouldn't win whatever the route.

If the trains can reel him in on Ventoux then he wouldn't win whatever the route.
I actually think that, despite (or because of) the star studded nature of their roster, the Ineos mtn train may not be as strong as some years. One of the things that in some past Tours has made early attacks be Bertie, or Quintana, or Nibali sometimes futile, was having several climbing doms (on a 9-man teAm) who would squeeze every iota of speed until they they pulled off and came to a near stop. This year, if Porte is still close on GC along with Carapaz and Thomas, those guys may take a turn at the front but they’re not going to completely bury themselves in a way that will have them losing 5 minutes on the stage. Porte will completely sacrifice himself if he is already minutes behind in GC, but it’s possible he’ll be the highest placed Ineos rider heading into the 2nd week. Hart I’m sure will be really strong, but I don’t think it would’ve wise to burn him out pulling a train the whole way up a climb,. I also don’t think it’s their best strategy anyways.

Last year JV train proved to be very strong, only on Peyresourde Pog gained substantial time (Loze opened up a bit as well but the outcome was favourable for JV). Obviously JV/Ineos combo will be hard to crack. The worst scenario is the race fully controlled by these teams in the mountains. However I don't think both Ineos and JV will ride this way all the time - they will have to fight each other as well, right? The first TT will set the tone for the race: deciding on who will have to attack who in the mountains. I expect serious action on Romme/Colombiere especially if one of those 3 sides has losses from the TT (maybe Pog or Lopez).

Last edited:
Not selecting Polanc is a big mistake in my view. He seems to have based his whole year around being on top form to dom in the the Tour (and clearly is in top form as well). He'd be the 3rd name in the team for me after Pog and Majka (who has also clearly based his year around the Tour). Now he's going to miss out to the big contract guys who are either not in form or won't have the same motivation to do that job
Also it helps to have a familiar face around who can speak the same language especially in the times of crisis or tension, can help. I donot think he has that relationship with the other team members. Its the reason that Sagan has his brother or Bodnar/Oss. Relationships arent built in a day but can be destroyed in one. Porte-Froome was gone on that fateful day in the Dauphine.

Also it helps to have a familiar face around who can speak the same language especially in the times of crisis or tension, can help. I donot think he has that relationship with the other team members. Its the reason that Sagan has his brother or Bodnar/Oss. Relationships arent built in a day but can be destroyed in one. Porte-Froome was gone on that fateful day in the Dauphine.
That’s why Contador always loved his 4 man clique even if they weren’t as useful during the race.

Reactions: spalco
I'm not too sure he didn't go full gas. He would love to become Slovenian champion for the first time, like he wanted to win Tour of Slovenia. There were a lot of tactical games between UAE and Bahrain and when Pogi was left behind the front duo of Mohorič and Polanc, he wasn't fully commited in the chase obviously. But he attacked in the 7th lap (of 10) on the climb and couldn't get rid of Tratnik, with Mohorič and Koren also only 10s behind. Also in the final lap in the battle for 3rd it was Tratnik who attacked on the most difficult part of the climb and Mezgec who followed. Pogačar didn't look that easy to me, when he was trying to stay with them.

Then again. Last season in Dauphine he also didn't set the world on fire and we know what happened in the Tour.

Also it was pretty funny listening to Mezgec talking to his girlfriend/wife after the finish. He said that it was a good training for him and that he was surprised the other riders (mainly Pogačar and Tratnik) didn't go faster on the climbs as he was pretty comfortably keeping their pace.

Likely the route wasn't hard enough to favour a climber like Pogačar. Like lets say last years route, where we got to see Pogačar and Roglič going all in. Today i feel that if both Roglič and Pogačar would be here we still might have seen Mohorič to take the win.

And all in all i feel that Pogačar did 100%. It's just that this time being domestique for Polanc.

I'm not too sure he didn't go full gas. He would love to become Slovenian champion for the first time, like he wanted to win Tour of Slovenia. There were a lot of tactical games between UAE and Bahrain and when Pogi was left behind the front duo of Mohorič and Polanc, he wasn't fully commited in the chase obviously. But he attacked in the 7th lap (of 10) on the climb and couldn't get rid of Tratnik, with Mohorič and Koren also only 10s behind. Also in the final lap in the battle for 3rd it was Tratnik who attacked on the most difficult part of the climb and Mezgec who followed. Pogačar didn't look that easy to me, when he was trying to stay with them.

Then again. Last season in Dauphine he also didn't set the world on fire and we know what happened in the Tour.

Also it was pretty funny listening to Mezgec talking to his girlfriend/wife after the finish. He said that it was a good training for him and that he was surprised the other riders (mainly Pogačar and Tratnik) didn't go faster on the climbs as he was pretty comfortably keeping their pace.
I have to correct myself here. It looks I misinterpreted a couple of things in my post above.

Pogi said after the race he felt very good in the heat this time. He also helped Mezgec a bit getting 3rd in the end by keeping the tempo high. By doing that, he prevented a Tratnik attack, so Mezgec could sprint for bronze medal. Mezgec said he might return the favor in the Tour if the right situation arises.

Also when I mentioned Mezgec talking to his girlfriend, he was probably thinking about other riders (from conti teams), who were in the chasing group with him in the first part of the race, not riding fast enough, and not about Pogi and Tratnik.

I have to correct myself here. It looks I misinterpreted a couple of things in my post above.

Pogi said after the race he felt very good in the heat this time. He also helped Mezgec a bit getting 3rd in the end by keeping the tempo high. By doing that, he prevented a Tratnik attack, so Mezgec could sprint for bronze medal. Mezgec said he might return the favor in the Tour if the right situation arises.

Also when I mentioned Mezgec talking to his girlfriend, he was probably thinking about other riders (from conti teams), who were in the chasing group with him in the first part of the race, not riding fast enough, and not about Pogi and Tratnik.
Why world he help Mezgec over Tratnik? Because he’s in the same team as his GF?

• Wow
Why world he help Mezgec over Tratnik? Because he’s in the same team as his GF?
Mezgec is well-respected in the Slovenian cycling community - More importantly the Slovenian RR was a rehearsal for Mezgec to ride the TDF as he hadn't raced since April - Mezgec had to perform in the RR to earn selection in the BEX TDF team.
Maybe it was simply because UAE and Bahrain were battling all day long, it would be strange to suddenly help your biggest rival. Maybe Mezgec and Pogi just made a quick deal. Although we are talking here about 1km of keeping the pace high. Not that big of a deal.

Reactions: yaco

TRENDING THREADS