• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 66 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Why world he help Mezgec over Tratnik? Because he’s in the same team as his GF?
Mezgec is well-respected in the Slovenian cycling community - More importantly the Slovenian RR was a rehearsal for Mezgec to ride the TDF as he hadn't raced since April - Mezgec had to perform in the RR to earn selection in the BEX TDF team.
Maybe it was simply because UAE and Bahrain were battling all day long, it would be strange to suddenly help your biggest rival. Maybe Mezgec and Pogi just made a quick deal. Although we are talking here about 1km of keeping the pace high. Not that big of a deal.

Reactions: yaco
Pogi needs a strong team against Ineaos and JV. I won't be surprised if he has more of these "hidden" helpers during the Tour :p Maybe even Urska will be helpful there.
That’s where being liked helps. Like how Contador would receive help because he was liked and he would gift the stages. Versus what I said in the Froome thread on successful breakaway depends on if others will work with him. Froome wanted to win whenever he could and to humiliate, that doesn’t transition well to outside team help.

Maybe it was simply because UAE and Bahrain were battling all day long, it would be strange to suddenly help your biggest rival. Maybe Mezgec and Pogi just made a quick deal. Although we are talking here about 1km of keeping the pace high. Not that big of a deal.

Mezgec had to prove his condition was good and his climbing was OK to make BEX's TDF team - Nothing wrong with Pogacar helping a fellow Slovenian - It's no coincidence the BEX TDF team was announced today !

Reactions: Sandisfan
Uae selection

– Tadej Pogačar (Slo)
– Rafal Majka (Pol)
– Davide Formolo (Ita)
– Brandon McNulty (USA)
– Marc Hirschi (Swi)
– Mikkel Bjerg (Den)
– Vegard Stake Laengen (Nor)
– Rui Costa (Por)
I would have replaced Rui Costa or Hirschi with Polanc, but taking Bjerg and Laengen instead of a sprinter is the way to go. The thing with Rui Costa is always the question how much of a teamplayer he is, just looking at his results taking him to the Tour makes sense.
Still, I would have replaced Hirschi with Polanc, who seems to be in great form atm. You already have Formolo for the hills and Hirschi is clearly not at his best right now.

Just having Majka, Formolo and McNulty there already makes it a stronger team for the mountains than he had last year.

The big question must be do they have enough flatland firepower with those 3, plus Hirschi and Costa, taking up 5 spots (acknowledging that McNulty is a pretty good TTist anyway). Are Laengen and Bjerg echelon experts? Because that was Pog's biggest time-loss of the Tour last year, so...

Just having Majka, Formolo and McNulty there already makes it a stronger team for the mountains than he had last year.

The big question must be do they have enough flatland firepower with those 3, plus Hirschi and Costa, taking up 5 spots (acknowledging that McNulty is a pretty good TTist anyway). Are Laengen and Bjerg echelon experts? Because that was Pog's biggest time-loss of the Tour last year, so...

But Pogacar is good in the wind. He was held up by a fall that prevented him from getting to the front in time. Bjerg and Laengen are super strong on the flat. Even stronger than Martin and Teunissen from Jumbo. in the Uae Tour there was wind. There was Bjerg with Pogacar in front

Uae selection

– Tadej Pogačar (Slo)
– Rafal Majka (Pol)
– Davide Formolo (Ita)
– Brandon McNulty (USA)
– Marc Hirschi (Swi)
– Mikkel Bjerg (Den)
– Vegard Stake Laengen (Nor)
– Rui Costa (Por)

On paper, that's obviously a very strong team, but how much actual help will they (be interested in) providing Pogacar? Costa, Hirschi, Formolo, maybe even Bjerg seem more like riders looking for their own glory than domestiquing for some supposed team leader.

On paper, that's obviously a very strong team, but how much actual help will they (be interested in) providing Pogacar? Costa, Hirschi, Formolo, maybe even Bjerg seem more like riders looking for their own glory than domestiquing for some supposed team leader.
The only questionable is Costa IMO. Hirschi, Formolo and Bjerg I have no doubts they'll give their all to support Pogi.

I think this team is thin in the high mountains. In a group of 10-15 best climbers Tadej could be left alone with no support from his teammates. A lot depends on what will be Majka's form and how will Formolo do after having the Giro in his legs. To be honest I don't expect McNulty to be of much help in the mountains. He'll be more useful on the flat and on the hills I think. I might be wrong, though.