• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 73 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
With all respect for Roglic, Tadej seems the best option to pick for it at the moment.

He suprised me yesterday but his explanations “I started to hard at NC and Basque country) make indeed sense. He had good first time spots there.

But still no word on the slovenian selection. The relationship between Rog and Pog is well below freezing point so not sure how they will work together for the olympics.

And the national coach is Hauptman
They hate each other now? That would be news to me?

First and foremost, I'm not even sure Pogacar has expressed his interest in doing that ITT, whereas Roglic did. Other than that, of Poggers wants it then yeah that spot should go to him probably.

Reactions: Sandisfan
They hate each other now? That would be news to me?

First and foremost, I'm not even sure Pogacar has expressed his interest in doing that ITT, whereas Roglic did. Other than that, of Poggers wants it then yeah that spot should go to him probably.

After yesterday's TT, there shouldn't be any doubt. Is there really question if he wants it? Why wouldn't? I mean he is favorite for the gold in OI. I would find it very strange if he wouldn't want to ride it.

Reactions: Luthor
Well hate is a strong word. Of course their relationship must have changed since last year, but Roglic has been very distant to Tadej since then. There def has been no contact outside races or anything. While before and even during last tour Roglic really felt like a mentor to Tadej. You also feel the resentment towards Tadej in Roglic’ entourage. Not only his team, but his wife, etc…

Roglic is also not willing to even discuss anything Tadej. He avoids the topic all together.

At the worlds I think Tadej was ok with being an earlier attacker but not sure if he is going to be wanting to work for Roglic anymore. I think he has figured out too by now that they are rivals now, and not the friends they were.

Which makes me very curious about the slovenian selection.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
After yesterday's TT, there shouldn't be any doubt. Is there really question if he wants it? Why wouldn't? I mean he is favorite for the gold in OI. I would find it very strange if he wouldn't want to ride it.
What is OI?
He wouldn't be the favorite for the TT, but I agree he has a shot.

RR is a difficult race to preview: team will be very small, so you need cooperation among the riders. On paper the route looks perfect for Pog.

Yea I meant Olympic Games. Who do you see ahead of Tadej in that TT? It's hilly TT
I've said elsewhere that I don't think it's as hard as others believe. If Dennis and Ganna are in top shape I still consider them the favorites. I have Pog in a tier below because he has still to show he can dominate time trials on a consistent basis. For different reasons, Dumoulin and Remco are in that same tier.

Ganna is the obvious favorite for the Olympic time trial, but Pogacar might be his biggest challenger - assuming that Dennis and Dumoulin don't reach their absolute top shape.

In the road race I suppose Alaphilippe and Pogacar would be the two top favourites. Pogacar won LBL, but he has the disadvantage of having to give everything in the Tour, not to mention the possible celebrations, media obligations etc.

Ganna is the obvious favorite for the Olympic time trial, but Pogacar might be his biggest challenger - assuming that Dennis and Dumoulin don't reach their absolute top shape.

In the road race I suppose Alaphilippe and Pogacar would be the two top favourites. Pogacar won LBL, but he has the disadvantage of having to give everything in the Tour, not to mention the possible celebrations, media obligations etc.
Well any possible Tour celebrations will only happen after Tokyo for Tadej.

Most cyclists will be on a plane to Tokyo Sunday evening if I am not mistaking.

I do agree that Ganna, VA, Dennis and Kung are still my favorites to win gold, but for Slovenia I think Pog is their best choice.

Imagine him beating Dumoulin there though :oops:

His hair went especially wild today

E5OmhzWXIAAB7wr

I've said elsewhere that I don't think it's as hard as others believe. If Dennis and Ganna are in top shape I still consider them the favorites. I have Pog in a tier below because he has still to show he can dominate time trials on a consistent basis. For different reasons, Dumoulin and Remco are in that same tier.

I learned today in the race thread that only the best riders do the Tour, so Cavendish is the best sprinter in the world because he wins sprints there. That must mean that Pogacar is the best time trialist in the world, so he is the favourite for Olympic gold.

Despite Roglic's abilities against the clock I think Pogačar would be Slovenia's best hope to get a medal.

Anyway, unless he abandons this Tour for some reason I hope that he doesn't ride the Vuelta as it would mean more than 70 racing days for a 22 year old... Olympics + Worlds RR + Italian fall classics seems a much better post Tour plan.

Reactions: yaco
Well hate is a strong word. Of course their relationship must have changed since last year, but Roglic has been very distant to Tadej since then. There def has been no contact outside races or anything. While before and even during last tour Roglic really felt like a mentor to Tadej. You also feel the resentment towards Tadej in Roglic’ entourage. Not only his team, but his wife, etc…

Roglic is also not willing to even discuss anything Tadej. He avoids the topic all together.

At the worlds I think Tadej was ok with being an earlier attacker but not sure if he is going to be wanting to work for Roglic anymore. I think he has figured out too by now that they are rivals now, and not the friends they were.

Which makes me very curious about the slovenian selection.
I don't think that's the case. Sure, you don't see them talking and laughing often during races in which they are main rivals. But I think that's normal and it goes both ways.

Primož doesn't like to discuss about Tadej when asked in interviews, because he doesn't like when people talk only about them as the only two contenders. He always points out there are also other strong contenders riding against them.

On the other hand, in a long interview before the Tour de France for Slovenian media, when asked about what keeps his drive alive, he specifically mentions how amazing Pogačar is and how lucky and happy he is to ride in the same era as him. Said that Pogi is a big reason for making him a better cyclist.

Reactions: Red Rick and Lui98
So Pogacar will likely attack seriously tomorrow and Sunday to get some separation from as many Ineos riders as possible in the GC.
If he manages that and win a second Tour that should settle much of the debate, wouldn't it?

If he defends his Tour crown it will be even bigger than his first victory. Defending a Tour title is a sign of champion's consistency and mentality, even more impressive at such a young age. This could be the beginning of Pogacar era but let's not get too much ahead, there's still a long way to go in this Tour.

If he defends his Tour crown it will be even bigger than his first victory. Defending a Tour title is a sign of champion's consistency and mentality, even more impressive at such a young age. This could be the beginning of Pogacar era but let's not get too much ahead, there's still a long way to go in this Tour.
It entirely depends on how. But he really can't possibly eclipse the shock of that ITT and he'll probably never will.