• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 75 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Congrats to Tadej on his second TDF (no, I don't think crashes or bad luck are a risk, in this form Colbrelli would just bounce off him and land in the opposite ditch).

Of course, in the absence of Padun this result will always have an asterisk against it, but you can only beat what's in front of you and he's dominated in all respects. And perhaps it's the start of a new era of the sort of dominance not seen since he-who-must-not-be-named. The rest of the GC contenders have been crushed.

From the current generation(s) there is nobody close to Pogacar in GT talent.

We'll have to wait and see if another young gun comes up and can challenge him. Maybe one within his own team (Ayuso?)
Would be surprised if Ineos don’t manage to create something to fight him within a year or 2. Who and how I don’t know but I can see it happen. (We all know how, they’ll sign Lutsenko and he’ll dominate)

From the current generation(s) there is nobody close to Pogacar in GT talent.

In a mountains dominated GT Bernal will be a challenge. We are yet to see what a well-prepared Evenepoel is capable of in a GT. IMO he'll be an awesome GT-rider (excelling at both TT and mountains). He and Bernal are from the same generation as Pog so potentially many years ahead of them. As things stand Pog is ahead of them all but his generation is abundant with talent.

And he would totally be blown away like the rest today. Still think Bernal is great but only being able to win GTs Pogcar decides not to win is well, an underwhelming perspective at least...
Maybe or maybe not.
Who's decision was it for EB to do the GdI? By all accounts that was Ineos (so that GT could win another TdF).
I'm sure that we'll get to see them battle in a GT soon (hopefully next year?).

Reactions: Sandisfan
Would be surprised if Ineos don’t manage to create something to fight him within a year or 2. Who and how I don’t know but I can see it happen. (We all know how, they’ll sign Lutsenko and he’ll dominate)

My guess would be Pidcock. Great power to weight ratio and had decent showings against the clock on the youth ranks.

The trend was clear, but unfortunately broken. After Bernal of 97 in 2019 and Pogacar of 98 in 2020 it would be time for the appearance of Pidcock of 99 before Evenepoel of 00 takes over next year.

My guess would be Pidcock. Great power to weight ratio and had decent showings against the clock on the youth ranks.

The trend was clear, but unfortunately broken. After Bernal of 97 in 2019 and Pogacar of 98 in 2020 it would be time for the appearance of Pidcock of 99 before Evenepoel of 00 takes over next year.
Some options in my opinion to ineos create something.
Buy padun.
Buy remco evenepoel.
Buy joao almeida.
Buy ayuso.
Buy roglic.
Buy van der poel and make him a gc contender.
Or the best option, buy pogacar.

• Wow

Even Pidcock will need to improve a lot.

Pogacar was tremendous, totally next level, he just won the TDF with that ride. Carapaz was excellent today, putting 3 minutes into the rest of the contenders, yet still lost 3 minutes himself.

For me, this stage conjured up memories of the 1998 stage to Les Deux Alpes, Pogacar's ride was that good. I don't even see a fully fit Roglic or Bernal being a real threat to him.