• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 89 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
View: https://twitter.com/kingcros/status/1418990349498863618?s=21

Probably no Vuelta for Tadej, although that would probably mean a very early end of season?

Would not blame him since he has been going on for so long now.

Today Pogi was missing a lot of watts on the climb and it's clear his form has been falling recently. He was in a good form from a get go, seemingly peaked in the first part of the Tour and needs a rest now. No Vuelta is not a surprise but maybe he'll try Lombardia?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Today Pogi was missing a lot of watts on the climb and it's clear his form has been falling recently. He was in a good form from a get go, seemingly peaked in the first part of the Tour and needs a rest now. No Vuelta is not a surprise but maybe he'll try Lombardia?
yep, in my calculation he did about 5,7W/kg on the last climb, he also said he did regret the jump about 2 minutes later :)

He likely wouldn't beat Roglic in their current form.
If he really had worked with the TT in mind I think Tadej could be close, but right now there had always just one place and Tadej is quite tired.

Giving it all in the roadrace was def not good for the TT so it would have been a hard combo

Slovenia played their two legends out very well

One problem i potentiality see is UAE is still far from a team like Ineos. And if at some point Pogačar would start to struggle. In regards to UAE expecting Pogačar to just win a race like Tour, basically on his own.

Then lets just hope UAE has what it takes to mitigate such potential issues. But then again it is rather unreasonable to expect Pogačar will win all GTs in the first place.

I don't think I ever saw such a long contract in cycling. But if it ever makes sense, it does this time for both sides.

Pogi probably won't win every GT he enters, but he has brought home two Tours and a monument to UAE already and that's massive. Also they clearly show signs of buildung the team around him (would be stupid not to obviously) and they have money.

I think they're quite different. Ullrich is the epitome of a diesel rider, Pogacar has indeed a big engine, but he's alsos extremely punchy, he has already one LBL in the bag. If he wants I can clearly see him winning more monuments.
Though Ullrich could be punchy when he wanted to me I’m talking about their dominating ability. After 96 and 97 Ullrich was thought to be dominating the Tour for years because he was young and it never materialized. Pogacar is on that track and further right now.

Not really sure why he has a new contract just 4 months after the last extension unless the contract in March had a clause in it triggering a pay rise and extra year if he won the 2021 TDF.

Unless the UAE money pit is bottomless he would be well advised to leave a little on the table to allow a budget that will ensure the team can recruit a stronger supporting cast around him.

TRENDING THREADS