• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 90 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hopefully he’ll try the giro/tour double before the “new” thing appears and challenge him too hard to make it viable. People always seem to overestimate how long someone is likely to dominate (perhaps based on Armstrong ptsd). Contador didn’t really try until it was too late (11 was more of a race as much as possible before ban is enacted) and Froome missed out when he tried as well. It’s time someone follows Pantani in his footsteps .

Hopefully he’ll try the giro/tour double before the “new” thing appears and challenge him too hard to make it viable. People always seem to overestimate how long someone is likely to dominate (perhaps based on Armstrong ptsd). Contador didn’t really try until it was too late (11 was more of a race as much as possible before ban is enacted) and Froome missed out when he tried as well. It’s time someone follows Pantani in his footsteps .

I think 2011 was a good chance for Contador. Without the crashes in the beginning of the race, he could have won the Tour. He was miles ahead of the competition in the Giro.

I think 2011 was a good chance for Contador. Without the crashes in the beginning of the race, he could have won the Tour. He was miles ahead of the competition in the Giro.
And that was a Giro that quite frankly took a lot out of everyone who finished it, let alone those who were competing in the top 10. Even without those suicide attacks in the last week he could have finished on the podium.

On a side topic I remember the outcry when Sagan took bonus seconds from Nibali and the thought was he would need those to compete for the win.

Could he though? Obviously its hard to know if that means he will ride better in the last week of the race, but he shipped lots of time on Galibier. But Contador was definitely in his absolutely prime in 2011 IMO, 2008-2011 id say.

And that was a Giro that quite frankly took a lot out of everyone who finished it, let alone those who were competing in the top 10. Even without those suicide attacks in the last week he could have finished on the podium.

On a side topic I remember the outcry when Sagan took bonus seconds from Nibali and the thought was he would need those to compete for the win.
Nibali was only 46 seconds away from the win.

I think his approach to GTs got more conservative and he was less hot in his first one of the year after 2015 enabling him to do decent doubles. Especially 2014 and 2015 seem rather outlandish.

Think it's like 2016 >> 2017 >>> 2013 >>2015>2014.

Actually, 2017>2016>2015>2014>2013. You should have listened better in your maths lessons :mad:

But I guess you have a point.

Nibali was only 46 seconds away from the win.
I guess that is my bad I didn’t clarify 2011 Vuelta and just assumed others would know based off Sagan winning the stage and the outcry some had on here after it. If we want to go that route Nibali probably would have won the Giro if Contador wasn’t in the race but he was and he destroyed everyone.
View: https://youtu.be/ewvSG-y1JAg

Edit: upon rereading the thread they were more mad at Agnoli, than team tactics, and than Sagan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
I guess that is my bad I didn’t clarify 2011 Vuelta and just assumed others would know based off Sagan winning the stage and the outcry some had on here after it. If we want to go that route Nibali probably would have won the Giro if Contador wasn’t in the race but he was and he destroyed everyone.
View: https://youtu.be/ewvSG-y1JAg

Edit: upon rereading the thread they were more mad at Agnoli, than team tactics, and than Sagan.
Mixing giros with vueltas can cause headaches and projectile vomiting.

Not all that sure if Giro-Tour double is a given to any rider these days. Highly likely it's a rather risky move to do a Giro. If your main goal of the season is the Tour.
Of course, but it's by far the biggest thing you can accomplish as a stage racer in one season. The prestige is huge.

But it seems Pogacar and UAE are indeed more about breaking Pharmstrong's stripped TDF record, or at least winning as many TDFs as possible. That would mean no Giri until he starts declining.

Think to have him at the 2022 Giro would require a) an easy course and b) a large sum of $$$

TRENDING THREADS