• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He's somewhere in the bowels of Belgium

E_5iETxUcA8jmxG

Reactions: Jungle Cycle
So I'm super excited to watch the race tomorrow at 4:30am on the east coast. Slovenia has a great team with 8 guys for once and they all seem like they are willing to work for whoever is in the best position. I love them all but it seems like Tadej will be in the front no matter what. Roglic doesn't seem super into it and watching him ride for slovenia reminds me how much his jumbo team helps him out. U was really impressed woth pogacar in the Olympics and in euros how he managed to do it alone when the other teammates drop. Honestly I'd be happy if any of the slovenians's medal, but I definitely see tadej making top 10 again unless something goes wrong.
Watched the women's race and strangely Urska zigart didn't finish. she was in the back the whole time amd eventually just disappeared. So hope she isn't sick... she was losing her voice on tadejs instagram yesterday. Just know she normally isn't one to not finish a race.

Reactions: Sandisfan
So I'm super excited to watch the race tomorrow at 4:30am on the east coast. Slovenia has a great team with 8 guys for once and they all seem like they are willing to work for whoever is in the best position. I love them all but it seems like Tadej will be in the front no matter what. Roglic doesn't seem super into it and watching him ride for slovenia reminds me how much his jumbo team helps him out. U was really impressed woth pogacar in the Olympics and in euros how he managed to do it alone when the other teammates drop. Honestly I'd be happy if any of the slovenians's medal, but I definitely see tadej making top 10 again unless something goes wrong.
Watched the women's race and strangely Urska zigart didn't finish. she was in the back the whole time amd eventually just disappeared. So hope she isn't sick... she was losing her voice on tadejs instagram yesterday. Just know she normally isn't one to not finish a race.

The Slovenians all rode for themselves (very little teamwork) & in the end, Pogacar & Roglic had similar legs (both finished over 6 minutes down & practically in the same time).

It looked like Tratnik did "some" work but it mostly seemed for Mohoric (his Bahrain teammate). They're not going to win a world championship with that approach & current setup.

The Slovenians all rode for themselves (very little teamwork) & in the end, Pogacar & Roglic had similar legs (both finished over 6 minutes down & practically in the same time).

It looked like Tratnik did "some" work but it mostly seemed for Mohoric (his Bahrain teammate). They're not going to win a world championship with that approach & current setup.
Tratnik was very active driving the breakaways and did more than any rider other than Evenepoel to make it a hard race.

Mohoric got himself in the right position but seemingly just didn’t have the legs to go the distance.

Roglic was canny in getting in the first big move and noting doing too much but by the final selection time was hanging at the back struggling.

Pogacar was a bit passive and only really seen trying to pull on the chase group but never attacking himself.

None of the Slovenians good enough today.

Route didn't suit any of them to be fair, because I think they raced very attentively and they had someone in all the early attacks and they were always behind the Belgians in the peloton

When I see the riders who finished second & third, I'm more inclined to believe it's more a matter of legs regarding the top two Slovenian riders, aka Pogacar & Roglic.

The whole "this route doesn't suit xyz rider" doesn't seem to impact riders who (no disrespect intended) are nowhere near as strong as the two aforementioned Slovenians when they're on form. I think reality kicked in all around: Pog & Rog are spent after their seasons whilst the national team setup (recently assembled new coaches during the summer) made for a mismatched disorderly patchwork of various intentions.

So I think even if the route is similar next year, their result "could" be a lot better if the preparation & behind the scenes stuff worked much better.

When I see the riders who finished second & third, I'm more inclined to believe it's more a matter of legs regarding the top two Slovenian riders, aka Pogacar & Roglic.

The whole "this route doesn't suit xyz rider" doesn't seem to impact riders who (no disrespect intended) are nowhere near as strong as the two aforementioned Slovenians when they're on form. I think reality kicked in all around: Pog & Rog are spent after their seasons whilst the national team setup (recently assembled new coaches during the summer) made for a mismatched disorderly patchwork of various intentions.

So I think even if the route is similar next year, their result "could" be a lot better if the preparation & behind the scenes stuff worked much better.
Van Baarle and Valgren are known rouleurs who have performed at a high level in races like De Ronde and AGR.

I think there's a very considerable differences between hills of 30 seconds to a minute and hills of 3-5 minutes.

Also, the type of rider you refer to don't have their main peak in July and generally have their 2nd peak at the Worlds instead of their third.

Also, the type of rider you refer to don't have their main peak in July and generally have their 2nd peak at the Worlds instead of their third.

True.

Because if this was a Tour de France stage, even with the route as it was, I'd still expect Pogacar to be at the front with his UAE team drilling it when he needs them & finishing with or close to the favorites, not 6 minutes down (even with what you say about the small punchy climbs).

So it's probably 3 issues rolled into one: the time of the season (September), the route & the way it's raced (full gas without the usual teamwork we see from pro teams around a GT leader).

Reactions: Polarbear64

TRENDING THREADS